PDA

View Full Version : Living and Working in Indonesia

dnk
11th Feb 2008, 08:10
Hello all,
Would just like to get some gen on living and working in Indo - there is a travel alert out advising people not to travel there - but just wondered if there is anyone on the ground there who can give me some info?

Cheers!

Flyeast
11th Feb 2008, 13:30
I've been traveling around the world...working in 5 airlines ( in Europe, far east, middle east ) for the past 14 years..until now i do believe Indonesia is one of the safe country to visit..including to travel by air... now it depends how you compare one place to another..

El Lobo Solo
11th Feb 2008, 14:09
Working there? As what? A pilot? Read some of the threads here if that is your intent.

Cheers!

ZFT
11th Feb 2008, 15:05
Travel alerts tend to be CYA

dnk
11th Feb 2008, 19:34
El Lobo - Yes - working as a pilot - But thats largely irrelevant - not worried about the outfit - question was about whether or not Im going to get blown up by bloody terrorists - I wasnt specific enough, sorry.

ZFT what is CYA?

...and orang buley?

>>Cover Your Ass? Much like Joburg then.

El Lobo Solo
11th Feb 2008, 20:12
DNK,

I'll take a guess that CYA is "Cover Your Ass". As for "bule", it's a term you should be familiar with if you've ever been there. You could google it but all the sites come up in Indonesian.

Are you saying you have a job in Indo, but you're worried about terrorism? I doubt it's much of a concern, but in this day and age, there are no guarantees anywhere you go.

Congrats on the job! Good luck on the other stuff.

dnk
11th Feb 2008, 20:13
No, it's not safe mate. Stay where you are. :rolleyes:Im In joburg mate.. not safe here..

Jakarta Jock
12th Feb 2008, 06:00
The travel alerts are largely CYA and most expats here feel quite safe. There have been no terror bombings for the past 2 years and by and large it is much safer than say Joberg, Manilla,etc. I have lived here for 15 years with no problems

Drop me a personal if you have any specific questions.

Jetstream_lover
12th Feb 2008, 07:44
Indo..

Great Country....cheap beer...have been here for quite a while now...love every minute..never had any security problems whatsoever. Never had a Gun/Knife/Banana pointed in my direction..never had anyone try to start a fight. Good hospitals where I live...and bigger city's like Jakarta, Medan etc you will have good facility's close by...

To work in Indonesia as a Pilot is a great expierience!!!

dnk
12th Feb 2008, 08:00
Excellent - Thanks for the info guys. Pretty much just what I thought...