PDA

View Full Version : Is 36 too old to start training?

Help21
10th Feb 2008, 15:44
Hi

I'm 36 and had assumed I'd missed the boat as far as becoming a pilot was concerned but I've been reading a lot about a global shortage of pilots that is likely to get worse.

If I start training now what are the chances of getting employed by the time I qualify?

If any, what sort of positions/jobs/companies would be likely to consider me?

To stand any chance would I have to do certain things/train in certain places or ways?

I am going to have a two day aptitude test with OAT but obviously their opinion may not be entirely bias free.

Help21

sunny441
10th Feb 2008, 16:40
help21:

I am from India, working as a software engineer in USA. I have always wanted a career in flying - but I never pursued it and instead got a degree in Software Engineering. Now, at 27 - I am debating going back to school to get a masters or to follow my passion and start flying. My plans is to fly commercially and I plan on going back to India, and the conversion of license is the main factor that is keeping me from flying. I am looking at atleast another 2 years b4 I get into the market.

My main point, would be that if you have the passion for it and if it's really what you want to do - then do it! Also, I would assume that you have some sort of college degree? Which would surely be a good backup plan!

Cheers

Sunny

Shunter
10th Feb 2008, 16:48
I considered myself in the same boat (I'm 32). Established career, had a PPL for a few years, plenty of IFR hours etc.. Never thought of it as an option, until I had a chat with a friend who works in airline HR and his opinion was that someone with the determination to change careers was not to be overlooked at all! Apparently a substantial number of airline job applications from early 20's fATPL holders are riddled with splling errorz n' yoof txt sht (I kid you not!). Go directly to the shredder, do not pass go.

Well balanced people in their 30's with life experience and an excellent track record from another industry are apparently welcome converts, to some companies at least. I love flying and at this point in my life I'd be quite happy to take a substantial pay cut (which is the reality of it), to get my foot on the ladder and a RH seat job.

As far as aptitude tests go, if you want an independent one, give GAPAN a bell.

sunny441
10th Feb 2008, 17:05
Apparently a substantial number of airline job applications from early 20's fATPL holders are riddled with splling errorz n' yoof txt sht (I kid you not!). Got directly to the shredder, do not pass go.

LOL! I was talking about the exact same thing last night with a friend of mine. I posted mails to a few upcoming Indian pilots - most of the replies took me at least 20 minutes to decipher. At first glance most of the emails seemed to be total gibberish.:ugh: "Neways gud luk 2 thse guyz n thr job huntz" :ugh:

I think that if you are mature enough and have good work record in any field that gives you an added advantage over the younger pilots. I would suggest going for it - and talk to as many people as possible. But beyond a certain point - it's a leap of faith!

Also where and how does one go about getting the aptitude tests here in the US?

Cheers

Sunny

Help21
10th Feb 2008, 21:18
Hi thanks for both your responses.

Where are you at - have you taken any steps towards commercial training? I notice you've been a member of pprune for a couple of years.

h

sunny441
10th Feb 2008, 22:16
Help21:

We are all in the same boat here! I am from Michigan - and I am a software engineer - working as a systems administration. I have been on this forum for only about a week or so. I am originally from India.

The disadvantage that I have is, NO prior flight experience whatsoever. I have done some ground school at the university that I went to. Since I hold an Indian passport - I have no clue about hiring process/policies that airlines have as far as non-citizens go. I am seriously thinking about flight schools in Canada, as I feel getting a job there is lot easier than here in the US.

I have the passion and getting a loan for this education is not a big deal, but the big question would be - is it worth it?

Cheers

Sunny

corsair
10th Feb 2008, 22:19
There was a huge thread on this very subject and the short answer is No, it's not too late. So go for it.
The only caveat I would add is that at your age you will be competing with young pilots with exactly the same time and experience. So I would suggest that you budget for an instructors rating when you finish. Or maybe look at jump flying or tugging gliders. Anything to keep you current. The more hours the better for you. Age and experience then becomes a positive.

How do I know? Well I got my first paid flying job in my forties. I could actually qualify as the oldest person ever to get a flying job! Ironically, I did start flying when I was eighteen. It's a long story!

Captain Vek
10th Feb 2008, 22:54
I have just attended a Cabair seminar over the weekend. There was a student who was 41 yrs old, So i dont think your too old for a career change just be prepared for some very testing times during training. I was also speaking to a Cabair Representative and he said that BA was the only airline that might not recuit low hour FO. But so many other airline would eg Flybe. I hoped that helped

FlyingIsFun
11th Feb 2008, 08:36
No. 36 is not too old.

I'm mid-40's. Started commercial training at age 41.

six-sixty
11th Feb 2008, 09:29
As above. Though I had a PPL since age 17 I only started commercial training at 35. Gave up six figures and much lifestyle trappings. Now fly a turboprop for peanuts (albeit fancy dry roasted ones) and I love it.

My advice would be go integrated if you've got the money. The training won't be a whole lot better, but even if they get you one interview that makes it worth it in my opinion. Believe me it's getting the interviews that is the hardest bit.

It's going to be an interesting few years economically, but you want to be training during the next downturn ready for the recovery, not the other way round.

The only other advice I'd offer would be to take anyone's estimates of how much everything will cost and at between 50-70%! You will redefine your meaning of the word skint.

Good luck

SS

AlphaMale
11th Feb 2008, 09:41
Help21 - You might find the link below of help.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51690

shaffee
11th Feb 2008, 21:22
Hey guys...i would hope it's not too late for you...i have had the love for flying since I was 11 years old...but never had the cash to do it...I just got my multi-commercial in November 2007...but I still only have 192 hours total time...I turn 30 in March...so I am thinking of skipping the whole becoming a flight instructor route...instead I am thinking of doing some serious time building courses...the plan is to head overseas for a job by the end of this year...where the total time requirements seem to be lower
If anyone is around the Houston area and knows of some good time building places, let me know...maybe we can share the expenses and get some good x-countries in