PDA

View Full Version : Oil rigs being evacuated..

Al R
10th Feb 2008, 11:02
.. as currently being reported by Aberdeen coastguard.

Given that there are 2 rigs affected by this incident, I imagine that concerns are security based, and not safety? Lets get those yellow helicopters up, they'll never see them coming..

EDIT: Just the one by all accounts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7237503.stm

spheroid
10th Feb 2008, 11:22
539 people evacuated by 14 helicopters. If its a security operation I doubt that the yellow helicopters will be involved. Possibly big green ones to get that amount of people off.

Sky news are now reprting that Bomb disposal units are being deployed to the rigs

Al R
10th Feb 2008, 11:31
With one eye on security in a public forum - it makes you wonder if we still have sufficient assets to focus on this, certainly as we might once have done. The evacuation fleet was a blend of civil, military and police helicopters. Sounds like Dunkirk!

Utrinque Apparatus
10th Feb 2008, 11:49
Quote "The Press Association reported sources saying the platform involved was the Safe Scandinavia and that a "device" had been found on board.
However, Mr Neilson said "we are not sure about a device"."

Red faces all round if it was her Rampant Rabbit vibrator (three weeks on, three weeks off) :}

airsound
10th Feb 2008, 12:19
Have just heard "Sqn Ldr Barry Neilson from RAF Kinloss" telling the Beeb that the RAF aircraft involved are 4 helos and one fixed-wing "airborne early warning" aircraft.

Wouldn't this normally be a Nimrod task?

airsound

Green Flash
10th Feb 2008, 12:32
Wouldn't this normally be a Nimrod task?

Sean

Given that they know where the rig is maybe Magic is more suited to the job of coordination squillions of helos. Does the land radar coverage reach out that far (I'm thinking low level) or is there a radar head somewhere in the rig field??

xraydice
10th Feb 2008, 13:05
Just my 2 penneth here but I live st Fergus /Rattry head and the normal heli traffic is non existant today, distant sighting of possible nimrod but cant confirm ,shame I'm not on duty to day.

Beatriz Fontana
10th Feb 2008, 14:15
There are one or two things that the good Squadron Leader has been quoted as saying (different, in media speak, from what he actually said, no doubt) that perhaps should not have been said. Still, these things happen in the heat of the moment.

I hear on the news that 'sources' reckon it's been a hoax. Thank goodness it was a hoax on a good flying day. I dread to think what the consequences would've been if the weather had been bad.

I hope the hoaxer gets the book thrown at them. And some.

skyepup
10th Feb 2008, 14:17
dont beleave everything you hear in the press!!.

No chinooks involved, or police helicopters for that matter. RAF, Civvy and CG aircraft.

Only one Flottal, not 2 installations.

Turned out to be a hoax.

Al R
10th Feb 2008, 14:21
Has it been confirmed as a hoax?

skyepup
10th Feb 2008, 14:26
yes. its a hoax.

spanners123
10th Feb 2008, 14:26
rafmatt:-Nimrod went up this morning and i think the three chinooks that were on there way up for an exercise were part of it to.

And this info came from where?? Is it true (I can answer that!):ugh:

Al R
10th Feb 2008, 14:30
It appears to all be revolving around this woman though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7237716.stm

skyepup
10th Feb 2008, 14:39
rafmatt - if your based at kinloss then you aint based in ARCCK. There were no chinooks involved in this incident. Take my word for it.

And if you watched the nimrod take off..................you will know it didnt take off THIS MORNING.........:ugh:

spanners123
10th Feb 2008, 14:44
What time this morning did you watch the Nimrod take off? Trust me, it wasn't in the morning!

spanners123
10th Feb 2008, 14:48
I work at ISK, been in all day! That's why I know it wasn't am!

StopStart
10th Feb 2008, 14:57
yawn....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1355000/images/_1358105_cocks_300.jpg

I saw a nimrod take off a few days ago. That may have been involved. And there's a Tutor in the circuit at Colerne. Connected?

I think we should be told........

spanners123
10th Feb 2008, 15:52
I think it is relevant, as Sky news was reporting that a Nimrod was on scene this morning (AWAC's maybe!). People read this site, take it as gospel and before we know it, tomorrows press is stating Chinooks involved in North Sea rescue! All from them being lazy and not checking up if a story is correct or not!
By the way, it was pm!:ok:

airsound
10th Feb 2008, 16:09
Beatriz, you said
the good Squadron Leader has been quoted as saying (different, in media speak, from what he actually said, no doubt)
As the person who quoted him, I would like you to know that I was quoting verbatim from a recording of him speaking to BBC News. Not, note, a report quoting what he had said. And, before you suggest that the Beeb could have edited what he said to change its content, I would also like you to know that, as a sound editor myself, I do not believe that that happened today.

He definitely said that an airborne early warning aircraft was one of the RAF aircraft involved.

airsound

Beatriz Fontana
10th Feb 2008, 16:32
Airsound,

I mentioned no media outlets but I do know that the media can put their own interpretation upon what an individual has said. Therefore aircraft - meaning helicopter or fixed wing - becomes fixed wing in a blink of an eye. We certainly need more informed folks like you in the media's ranks.

Bea.

airsound
10th Feb 2008, 17:23
Thanks Bea. Sorry if I sounded a bit grumpy.

Feeling better now - having been regaling myself with extracts from Rompers Green - see thread 'Ascot callsign....'

airsound

Al R
10th Feb 2008, 17:33
Having seen the same report as Airsound, I'd concur with his recollection. I thought that the sqn ldr did a fine job by the way, frustrating the meeja girl at every turn.

"So, there is a device on the rig?".

"I can't say.".

"So there could be?".

"I don't know.. in fact, I don't need to know".

(next!)

Mad_Mark
11th Feb 2008, 09:59
dont no abowt misinformd but he cud do wiv brushin up on his english

AFAIK an E3 was already airborne at the time the incident started and was utilised until the Nimrod arrived to take over as the SAC.

MadMark!!! :mad:

skyepup
11th Feb 2008, 10:28
A small but important point.

The Nimrod never actually got involved!.
It took off just as the incident finished.

PPRuNe Radar
11th Feb 2008, 10:42
An E-3 just happened to be airborne on a Sunday :confused: Must have nipped out to stock up on pies :ok:

27mm
11th Feb 2008, 10:55
Ah, that reminds me of the halcyon days at Cottesmore, when the dear old 115 Sqn Argosy was bashing the circuit - after an hour or so, the Capt transmitted "Downwind to land for crew and ration change...."

skyepup
11th Feb 2008, 14:49
"AFAIK an E3 was already airborne at the time the incident started and was utilised until the Nimrod arrived to take over as the SAC"

Oh really? :ugh:

BluntM8
11th Feb 2008, 14:54
An E3 could not have been involved as they are high flying planes and not allowed to do turns of more than 10 degrees bank below 10 thousand feet.

:E

skyepup
11th Feb 2008, 15:07
Why couldnt it have been involved.

Thats the whole point...........it HAS to be a high flyer................it helps stopping it hitting all the low flying helicopters!

forget
11th Feb 2008, 15:20
An E3 could not have been involved as they are high flying planes and not allowed to do turns of more than 10 degrees bank below 10 thousand feet.

:bored: This is almost as entertaining as the "Uninformed speculation/"trying to be clever but failing miserably" (WAG) B777 Thread".

skyepup
11th Feb 2008, 15:36
Nice story Aidu but slightly off the mark.

Not to worry, its more entertaining than the real one.
Maybe the E3 landed on the platform and took all 161 people off............as long as it only did a 9 deg turn.......:mad:

Stuff
11th Feb 2008, 16:37
Rafmatt have you ever considered working directly for the foreign intelligence services? It would cut out the middleman and save you having to post everything on here.

PPRuNe Radar
11th Feb 2008, 18:55
You're in trouble rafmatt

Imagine giving out secrets about the noble E3 Sentry top secret surveillance kit ..... :(:\

Anyone hear that the SBS was on scene as well?

http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/images/frontpage_large7.gif

BluntM8
11th Feb 2008, 19:02
http://www.camdenny.com/oneidalake/fishing.jpg

Got one!

:E

FHA
11th Feb 2008, 20:20
Bloody nice though.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=513413&in_page_id=1770

Green Flash
11th Feb 2008, 20:41
"It was complete madness on behalf of everyone - the company, the police and the RAF.

Oh, of course we KNEW all along she was only dreaming, didn't we?:rolleyes: We launched all the avbl assets, as requested, for a laugh, didn't we? :rolleyes: It was the CG that called in everyone, not the installation manager, or whoever. Bet there'll be a bit of whinging if it happens (for real) again and NO ONE turns up. Get a grip ..... :=

pink diamond
11th Feb 2008, 20:43
A DREAM....... thats dafter than Dallas when Bobby Ewing stepped out of the shower and Pam woke up ...and he wasn't dead after all!!!

Yes, I know I am showing my age here....

PD

Moose Loadie
11th Feb 2008, 22:02
Ok I’m bored now.

Just to stop all the speculation and petty squabbling, I’ll tell you exactly what happened.

Incident called at approx 0930. Assets deployed and all headed for the rig. Rescue 137 given the task of OSC and co-ordinated a jigsaw cab, coastguard S-92, rescue 138, 6 civvie cabs and a friend from Norway. Eventually R137 handed over OSC to an E-3 approx 20 mins before the military assets were stood down. The nimrod got airborne only to be turned round almost immediately.

Everyone involved needs a pat on the back. :D

Anyway, over to you.

Moose.

Beatriz Fontana
11th Feb 2008, 22:31
rafmatt,

Facebook is also where media luvvies hang out. Be warned!!

PPRuNe Radar
11th Feb 2008, 22:57
You beat me to it AIDU :ok:

Perhaps we should heed the advice ...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u33/North_Raleigh_Guy/Please20do20not20feed20the20trolls.jpg

BluntM8
12th Feb 2008, 06:27
Oh come on, troll feeding is a whole new sport on here - far fresher than the wannabe bashing!

Let us have our fun!

:}

Limpopo
12th Feb 2008, 10:36
Incident called at approx 0930. Assets deployed and all headed for the rig. Rescue 137 given the task of OSC and co-ordinated a jigsaw cab, coastguard S-92, rescue 138, 6 civvie cabs and a friend from Norway. Eventually R137 handed over OSC to an E-3 approx 20 mins before the military assets were stood down. The nimrod got airborne only to be turned round almost immediately.

I was in one of the civvy cabs that was involved, and the above is a very accurate and short description of what happened.

I would just like to pass on my thanks to the excellent job the crew of R137 did in being OSC. They did a fantastic job in trying to keep us all informed as to what was, at times, a rapidly changing situation, plus controlling all of the assets. It was also good to hear the voice of an old 202 colleague of mine. I can imagine how busy they all were trying to sort everyone and everything out.

Cannot say the same for the AWACS that took over, as it all turned a bit pear-shaped after that. Comms with the AWACS were very poor, despite him saying he was at FL290 (wonder how many hundreds of miles he was away from the scene). Wasn't that impressed either when it had been confirmed that the incident was over, and the AWACS basically just left us in the lurch and went en-route. Good thing that those remaining were all used to North Sea Ops and we quickly got ourselves sorted out and everyone rapidly back to the rig.

So R137 10/10 :ok:, AWACS 4/10 (at least they tried!) :hmm:.

Odi
12th Feb 2008, 11:46
And after the military abandoned ship (as it were!) it was left to us at Aberdeen to pick up the pieces and try and work out where everybody and everything was.

Limpopo - the AWACs was only about 30 - 50 miles NW of the field flying what appeared to be random patterns in the sky at FL300 before descending to FL200.

Len Ganley
12th Feb 2008, 11:57
rafmatt isn't really qualified to be a troll. He is just a sad little boy who comes on to pprune when his xbox live connection throws him off or his girlfriend, Inflatable Ingrid:E, has a better offer. Perhaps he should stick to telling his contemporaries how marvellous he is and how much operational experience he has managed to gain in all his years of service.

Sorry rafmatt, your 'secret' identity is perhaps not as secure as you thought.

Limpopo
12th Feb 2008, 12:01
So, that would have put him about 150nm from the scene. No wonder Comms weren't that good, especially if he descended from FL290 to FL200!

skyepup
12th Feb 2008, 18:10
To those guys on here that were involved in this large scale downmanning - well done.

Rafmatt - genuis......

Just to let you know.......the pretty daft bint crazy lady screwball.....whatever you want to see her as, didnt have a dream about a bomb.

A large scale incident like this only took place as the threat was far more real than a dream.:ugh: It will all come out in court.

SP

A SHUFFLE
12th Feb 2008, 18:32
I'm bored too. Do yourself a favour rafmatt and turn your computer off. It's not too difficult to work out who you are and expect a one way conversation for disclosing the times of RAF movements and also a/c types involved in exercises.

But on the other hand it's quite amusing to see what a complete c*ck you are. I need to know more people like you because you make me look clever.

Odi
12th Feb 2008, 18:49
Limpopo - I actually meant 30 - 50 miles NW of the OIL field! Orbiting in an area roughly between the Buzzard and the Piper.

Al R
12th Feb 2008, 19:02
Looks like someone has read the tea leaves and deleted his posts. Matt - go easy fella, and chill. Say Hi to the Kimberley for me and pray for a quiet week.. :suspect:

A SHUFFLE
12th Feb 2008, 19:13
Quiet at last!!

trippb
12th Feb 2008, 19:20
At least Nimrod and helo crews can actually do something productive now.

Limpopo
13th Feb 2008, 16:05
Limpopo - I actually meant 30 - 50 miles NW of the OIL field! Orbiting in an area roughly between the Buzzard and the Piper.

Odi, OK, sorry I thought you meant EGPD. Makes it even worse then as at that range he should have been loud and clear. I've worked with AWACS before and they have been extremely good and their comms superb. Perhaps this machine has a fault at one of the consuls or an aerial problem, then. Whatever was the cause, it wasn't very good at all.