PDA

View Full Version : Singcargo B744 Cmds

2XL
9th Feb 2008, 23:40
Flight is running ads for B744F Captains. Anyone with recent experiece care to comment on salary package and conditions.

Thanks

Fair.Pilot
10th Feb 2008, 02:56
SingCargo is a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines (SIA).
Terms and conditions are practically identical. All 744F are the 400s.

Be prepared to come with a bank guarantee (at least S$50K)
Training Centre is located East Coast Rd. Be on your toes while you're in the STC.Eyes are watching you from every where! Nearest MRT station (rail) is Tanah Merah. Get a taxi and you'll can go the whole S'pore.

More info in SIA thread.

Left Coaster
10th Feb 2008, 04:40
Hmmm...interesting info and correct in an obtuse kinda way. There is a wealth of info on this site, suggest a search regarding housing and scheduling...two of the more "pertinent" issues facing Expats at Cargo. Liberally salted with both good and bad experiences. You'll also find a small amount of expat V local battle...good luck.

BANANASBANANAS
10th Feb 2008, 11:28
Have to agree with LC.

SIA Cargo is not for everyone. IMHO your happiness will depend on your hopes and expectations. That, in turn, is usually conditioned by where you are now.

If you join from a major European/US/Australian carrier, with a strong union and have a single digit seniority number, then stand by for a major culture shock. If you are coming from a second or third level carrier then it can be a step in the right direction.

Housing and Scheduling are 2 big issues. If you have more than 2 children of school age then so is education allowance.

Expat managers are ok but be prepared for the 'corporate culture' to treat you like tools in a tool box to be picked up and put down at the company's whim. Basic salary needs improving to be more competitive with the sand pit - to whom we are about to lose several high calibre Captains - and pay no notice to the summary of the terms and conditions which states that 'Housing Allowance will be reviewed if there are significant changes in the market." In the last 2 years typical rentals have gone up by over $3000 pcm and Housing Allowance has increased by only $350 pcm. And that only given grudgingly after a protracted battle. The Union appears powerless (or incentiveless) to look at things such as Housing Allowance.

Be prepared to subsidise your housing to the tune of at least $1000 pcm and to have to accept a reduced standard of living to keep the subsidy to that sort of level.

On the good side, the profit share (for now) mitigates against the low salary and you can get 5 years income tax at a flat rate of 10%.

If SIA Cargo wants to keep its current pilots the package needs improving significantly. Until then, for the majority, I think it will be a case of join, work out when you can afford to leave, then go.

Singapore as a place to live is ok for now, though there are plans to increase the population by 25% in the next decade. That will have its own effect on housing, education and general appeal as a place to live.

portquartercv67
10th Feb 2008, 12:00
Just read the advert you are referring to. Mentions approximately $6000 in out of base/flying per month. When I was hired it said $7000. I have 21 months on the line and exceeded $6,000 only once. My average for all 22 months is about $4300. The rest of the add regards compensation is accurate. The flying/out of base statement is a gross misrepresentation. Many fellow captains I have spoken with have a similar average as mine. And I don't give the company a pass on the lie about the out of base/flying earnings just because the profit share check is nice and fat.

So, if you are ok with the reality about your pay package AND no control over an ever changing schedule, come on down! The a/c, country, people, living, food, life etc... are all fine.

PQ

2XL
10th Feb 2008, 20:29
Appreciate all the replies, i know there is heaps of info in archives however looking for current info. Would anyone be prepared to state a genuine average gross/nett income per month/pa ?

Left Coaster
10th Feb 2008, 23:40
Sure, but maybe look at it this way...you know what your basic and allowances will be (from the advert) now comes the math, you can expect to fly up to 90 hard hrs one month and 30 the next...Stby will drop your hrs if you aren't called out, but if you are, up go the hours. Same with a leave period. Disruptions to your roster play a huge role in your monthly pay and can effect half of your expected $$$ or more sometimes. So for me to put an amount here would be folly, it wouldn't be the same as the next guy. Please don't get me wrong, the deal is ok, and the current middle management crowd keeps an eye on the balance if they can and looks for ways to try to improve the system. It gets to be livable and as double "B" states, is getting better. The company accepts ad-hoc charters at last minute (Who wouldn't? The $$$'s are huge) and that causes major disruptions... There will be some from the sandbox coming this way and vice versa, as has happened in the past...what one really needs is a good load of patience. We like it here, we make it our home, and it's stable for our family. At the end, it's what's most important.

expat400
13th Feb 2008, 00:53
Be aware as rostering is going from bad to worse every month.

16 days left of this month and March rosters are not out yet.

During CNY we had some flights delayed due to crew not showing up. Not their fault though, the understaffed rostering and scheduling couldn't keep up with all changes.

SIA Cargo made a profit last quarter but it's done on the expense of the crewmembers personal life.

I've said it before; pay is good (as long as profitsharing is good) but the lack of private life is making a lot of people unhappy.

A rostering survey has been made but don't be fooled. It's a classic management scam. "Let them do a survey so they think we're working on it". Those papers will add to the weight of the wastebox, that's all.

There's none in crew management that plans to stay for long so why would they really care?

Still enjoying Singapore though! Hard to leave a safe place with a wonderful climate, good schools and 10% tax...