PDA

View Full Version : CAPT of FTSI? Variant of MPL?

Passenger 07
9th Feb 2008, 23:17
Any information about this program is welcome.
Have read on the FTSI website that they have gotten an agrement with Chinese Authorities, CAAC.
Is this program a variant of MPL?
What about the costs in USA or elsewhere?
Can we compare with CLARK Aviation?

training wheels
10th Feb 2008, 01:15
What's FTSI? Do you have a link to their website? :)

Passenger 07
10th Feb 2008, 23:29
Yes there is a link. But on their web no details on their CAPT syllabus, just using CIRRUS aircraft and a "Glass Cockpit DC9 FFS simulator (?) and that they have gotten the approval of CAAC
No idea of the cost, no idea of this syllabus: is it a reinforced CPL/IR or a MPL?
http://flighttrainingservices.com/

training wheels
11th Feb 2008, 13:19
I did a Google for CAPT and found this website;

http://captprogram.org/cms/index.cfm

I wonder whether their executive director is the same guy that was involved with Beijing PanAm?

Passenger 07
11th Feb 2008, 23:19
Seems to be same guy, currently hanging around in SE Asia to find a new location for developing CAPT... But no details on this CAPT

Patrick Murphy
13th Feb 2008, 13:39
I have been the Exec. Director at CAPT in Florida (Flagler County Airport- between Daytona Beach and Jacksonville) since April 2007. And yes, I was at one time a manager at Beijing PanAm having departed there early in 2007.

The CAPT Program curriculum is not currently MPL but does utilize many of the same principles: CRM, TEM, scenario based, etc. The full curriculum also ends with a type rating in an MD-90 (DC-9 series aircraft). The school is developing a curriculum under FAR 142 that would allow greater use of simulation as in an MPL program. That curriculum should be available later this year.

If you would like any further information from me about CAPT (or flight training in China), send me an email: [email protected].

The school is approved by the Chinese CAAC and has contracts with several airlines and universities in China to provide flight training for their students.

Pat Murphy

fly with me
30th Jan 2009, 01:23
Hello Pat,

Do you have any new information on the program and what is happening with it now? - I heard some doubtful news.
Thank you

fly with me
30th Jan 2009, 01:26
Hello Pat,

Do you have new information on the program and what is happening now? I heard some doubtful news.
Thank you.

Patrick Murphy
31st Jan 2009, 09:43
I am currently unable to comment directly on what is happening at CAPT.

However, the current situation has been widely reported in the Orlando area media including the Daytona Beach News Journal and Orlando's Channel 13 news. The secondary sites have also picked up on these reports so a simple internet search should reveal the current situation.

As for myself, I left the position of Executive Director at CAPT at the end of April 2008 to work on international flight school projects and curricula for the parent company. Included in that work was a new Part 142 curriculum that would even more closely match MPL. As of the end of 2008, I was not employed in any capacity by CAPT or its parent (FTSI).

I will have more to write after the current situation resolves itself.

I am now in Asia working with a new development group putting together what could become the first "successful" privately owned flight school in China.

Pat Murphy

knee how
31st Jan 2009, 12:09
I am now in Asia working with a new development group putting together what could become the first "successful" privately owned flight school in China.

LOL! .. not another one! hahahaha ...

Come on,we all know China is NOT ready for this kind of thing; not until there is such a thing as class G "uncontrolled airspace" in China. Until that happens,then flight schools in China will continuously bleed money bribing the appropriate authorities to fly.

Patrick Murphy
31st Jan 2009, 23:04
Some of us believe that the situation regarding airspace and military restrictions will evolve positively over the next several years. And the failures and difficulties of numerous flight schools overseas will help push more of the students into the domestic China market.

Besides that, there is the example of CAFUC where nearly 1000 flight students ARE graduated each year. So it can be done. But it won't be easy. That's why I find the challenge worthwhile!

PM

knee how
1st Feb 2009, 02:37
Besides that, there is the example of CAFUC where nearly 1000 flight students ARE graduated each year. So it can be done.

CAFUC is not a privately owned flight school, sir. It is the government flight school and formerly run by the armed forces and has been well established for that purpose. They have no problems with getting aircraft airborne because of that, so you can't compare CAFUC with a privately run flight school in China. CAFUC has their own airspace AND their own airport. If this flight school that you're proposing is willing to invest in such infrastructure, then yes, there is some hope for success in the future. I wish you all the best.

Patrick Murphy
2nd Feb 2009, 04:01
Of course, CAFUC is govt owned - by the CAAC, that is. But there are many lessons to be learned from them. Even if the school is not government owned, you will need close government support and cooperation. In today's China, there are ways to accomplish that, and mostly without the use of "consulting" fees. Another lesson is to choose airports in locations with suitable weather. Another is to locate only at airports with no or limited commercial flights. A final lesson is to provide your own ATC for the flight school aircraft. As for getting less hassle from the military, the best idea is to locate in areas where they are least interested - or spend 50 yrs like CAFUC has negotiating for the use of that airspace.

No one thinks it will be easy. But it will be done by someone at sometime in the future. Hopefully, you will find me there!

PM