PDA

View Full Version : FW Refugee returning to the Fold

Agaricus bisporus
9th Feb 2008, 17:18
It is over 10 years since I flew a Helo, but would love to get back into it for my last few flying years in UK.

I've military helo, heavy N Sea time, 3500hrs rotary, over half twin, corporate, utility, bush, VIP, police, everything except instructing and underslung. Had an IR(H) too, long lapsed, but current P1 on medium jets so easy to recover rotary licence.

How easily might I find a job in the charter world today? I assume the lack of an IR is nowadays a serious restriction - but is it a critical one? If so how do people acquire IRs in practice? Do employers sponsor/provide them - ever?

Ideas and advice received with thanks.

helimutt
9th Feb 2008, 17:32
With your experience I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find a corporate or even police job. Police/air ambulance not really a problem without IR. I think you could renew IR pretty easily if you held one before and have fixed wing IR. Have a look through LASORS to find what you need personally for your own circumstances.

wobble2plank
9th Feb 2008, 18:53
Try Heliaviation at Blackbushe, they seem to be very busy at the moment in the charter world.

Good luck
:)

Bravo73
9th Feb 2008, 19:52
Ab,

With a current IR(A) (and a lapsed IR(H)), it shouldn't be too hard to revalidate your IR(H). I don't know the details but it might be even be something along the lines of 'training at the discretion of the HoT' followed by an IRT. LASORS will, no doubt, have the definitive answer.

With your previous experience (and if you're reasonably 'personable'), I can't see you struggling to find work. Whereabouts in the country are you? PM me if you want a very strong 'lead' down South.

If you want to go full time rotary, you might well find an operator who is willing to 'sponsor' your revalidation costs. If you plan on going freelance, you'll obviously have to shoulder those costs yourself.

Hope this helps.

B73