PDA

View Full Version : 10 years ago...cheers

JessTheDog
8th Feb 2008, 12:29
I'll be raising a glass to those who pitched up 10 years ago to the date (Sun 8 Feb 98) in No 1 Mess to begin IOT.

Cheers to you all, and to the staff!

(If I had stayed in, only 6 years to immediate pension...never mind, 2 kids and a family life now..)

noregrets
8th Feb 2008, 12:47
Pah! Kids these days...

114 IOT, Sep 88, A Sqn - No 2 IOT Mess, massive lunches, getting your room just perfect then sleeping in your car in the car park - happy days :)

airborne_artist
8th Feb 2008, 12:49
Pah - kids these days - 87 Flight BRNC April 1978.

Art Field
8th Feb 2008, 12:56
Were their parents alive yet, 99course, K-in-L, Dec 1956.

doubledolphins
8th Feb 2008, 12:57
91 flt, about now (can't remember the exact date), 1979. Used to make my bunk in the morning, Bed packs on Thursdays only.

Roland Pulfrew
8th Feb 2008, 13:21
JTD

Thanks for that. It's just made me realise that next week will be 25 years since I arrived at No 2 Mess at Cranditz one cold and dark night!! :} Where have the years gone? What have I done with my life? Where has all the money gone!?!?

OverTq
8th Feb 2008, 13:31
Children - Church Fenton AOTS (when the initial course was for Aircrew only - those were the days) starting on April 1st (how appropriate) 1968 (50th annoversary of the formation of the RAF) and still flying military aircraft!

airborne_artist
8th Feb 2008, 13:45
And my old man went to BRNC in April 1947 - aged 13, there must have been a real shortage of officers after the war :E

DD- you'd have entered BRNC in February, half-way through the term. Five entries a year for the Flight - funnily enough the fish-heads and the rest now have five entries a year. Only took them about thirty years to see the sense of it.

jpboy
8th Feb 2008, 13:47
No1 Cse Netheravon 01 Apr 18 Sopwiths. Dick Shuster was my primary;)

Gainesy
8th Feb 2008, 14:26
Bed packs on Thursdays only.

Luxury.:E

bigley
8th Feb 2008, 14:34
I started at Sleaford tech 10 years ago today, obviously with Jess. I am now on my way back to command the best of the IOT Sqns!!!!!!

bigley
8th Feb 2008, 14:51
Sprin 1979? I was still at Junior School then!!!!!:p

BEagle
8th Feb 2008, 15:03
And I thought you taught Orville and Wilbur, Arters!

Reminiscing is often fun. When I went back to instruct at ULAS, I told one of the new girls that I too had been a student at ULAS.

"Really, Sir? When was that?"
"1969-73. Queen Mary College"
"Gosh, my mum was at QMC then, I wonder whether you knew her"

"Hmm, maybe I did.....:E" (spoken with 'knowing grin'!)

"Err, would you like a drink, Sir?"

And off she trotted with a lovely pink glow to her cheeks, thinking 'Did he mean what I thought he meant?' thoughts.

Monty77
8th Feb 2008, 15:54
This is like that Monty Python sketch, where they all try to out-do each other with tales of Northern childhood hardship - 'Cardboard box in middle of t' road? You had it easy!'.

Here's my pennyworth in that vein:

I was Duty Auth when Dick the Shuster sent Icarus solo.

Get some time in!:ok:

fin1012
8th Feb 2008, 16:32
Anyone out there remember D Sqn 73 IOT. Seems like another age now. :ok:

Lafyar Cokov
8th Feb 2008, 17:04
I remember flying course no 1 - just me and a couple of Pterodactyl ...... can anyone do better?????

BEagle
8th Feb 2008, 18:18
Stuck beak through 't shell of 't egg - to find I were 't first thing wi' wings to come out o' 't swamp.

Tell that to 't lads o' terrday.....

Thud_and_Blunder
8th Feb 2008, 18:19
Do better? - no, but my Dad's WO during aircrew training had RAF number 97. He said that if he hadn't dithered at Trenchard's briefing before deciding to cross over from RFC to RAF he could've been in the first 20.

Thud

Red Sqn 269 Cse OCTU 1972-3(chopped)
Red Sqn 306 Cse OCTU 1976(fooled 'em)

JessTheDog
8th Feb 2008, 19:31
I started at Sleaford tech 10 years ago today, obviously with Jess. I am now on my way back to command the best of the IOT Sqns!!!!!!

Make 'em suffer like we did.....the admin spy (missus of one of the IOT staff) across from the blocks was a particularly nasty trick! :}

Best of luck...and best of luck to your Sqn!

bigley
9th Feb 2008, 10:15
Thanks Jess and I remember the spy well, met up with her again a couple of years later-nothing had changed!!!!

Reunion in July anyone?

AdanaKebab
9th Feb 2008, 21:55
Jess, Bigley,

I remember 172. I was first to get Restrictions for being late on parade (in my civvies, before we were issued uniform).
Got uniform that day and paraded on the Orange that night ... loved it.
It certainly wasn't a punishment.

Does anyone remeber CWO McWilliams, on discovering a small leaf in a sleeping bag ... (in west indian accent) Mr McNish, why are you keeping forest in your sleeping bag?
Many other classics spring to mind.
Why are you keeping stone in the sole of youer boot?
Why are you growing potatoes in your belt buckle?
Loved every minute of it ..... with hindsight!!!!!!!:ok: