PDA

View Full Version : Study hours for PPL theory

Shiver me timbers!
7th Feb 2008, 19:35
Hi - I used the search function but to no avail.

Current situation: looking to get PPL theory out of the way in order to concentrate on flying lessons.

If I begun studying 1st May (15 hours per week) - what's a realistic time frame for completing all theory/exams? I know this will be different for everyone but whats an 'average' time?

Many thanks.

Dave :)

CraigyD
7th Feb 2008, 19:38
Hi Dave,

Im in a similar situation and was wondering if any one could tell me if there are any time limits that you must complete all the PPL exams in.

Cheers,
Craig

OneIn60rule
7th Feb 2008, 19:38
With the confuser... one month.

Without the confuser... 4 months.

fanda78
7th Feb 2008, 21:59
Today, it was my last day at Andrewsfield PPL groundschool.
!!!!Highly recomended!!!! andrewsfield.com:D
Starting at September last year we had weekly 2 hrs sessions (usualy 3 sessions per subject / two weeks gap between each subject)
With little reading at home and using PPL confuser I scored 88, 92, 95, 100, 100 and 100%
I beleive that with confuser, one to one instruction and nothing else to do you will be able to pass it within two weeks.:ok:
I think that you have to finish your last ground exam within 18 months from date you passed your first one and after passing last one you have one year to finish PPL

cheers F:-)

Merritt
8th Feb 2008, 09:01
don't forget www.airquiz.com which is also very useful....

Steve

HappyFran
8th Feb 2008, 09:26
I did my PPL(A) over three months Sept - Nov.
As I am based on the South Coast and subject to the vaguaries of the UK weather I found that by flying when I could and between times studing for my theory, with a bit of casual (but very good) help from the ground school it was all fairly relaxed. managed to keep a part time job as well.

The only thing to bare in mind is that you need your Nav. before they let you go solo...like to think you can find your way home :uhoh::uhoh:
And you will need to have passed all the exams (inc. practical VHF comms) before you final check flight / test
Good Luck :)

Oh !! and Confuser and FTO past papers were very useful !!

Merritt
8th Feb 2008, 12:37
The only thing to bare in mind is that you need your Nav. before they let you go solo...

I suspect its a typo but you need your Air Law not Nav to go Solo.

Steve

Andy_20
8th Feb 2008, 13:02
Couple of weeks, if you can get through each book within a few days which isnt too hard, i think the most pages for one exam is around 190, 40 pages a day is a realistic target i kept to.... then use confuser and air quiz to sharpen up your knowledge... For the exams RTQ (Read the question!) carefully, i made a couple mistakes by mis reading the question. Still average above 90% so wasnt too bothered. Good Luck!:cool:

RudeNot2
8th Feb 2008, 13:57
I believe after you have passed all of the exams within the 18 month period - you then have a further 2 years to complete the practical training.

Shiver me timbers!
8th Feb 2008, 14:29
Thanks to everyone for all your help

:)

suraci
10th Feb 2008, 18:47
Depends on your level of general education and whether you already have some knowledge of the subjects eg if you have done a bit of hill walking, orienteering, or land survey then the nav will be easy and similarly a technical background helps with principles of flight and aircraft gen knowledge. I did about 3 hours study per night and knocked off 6 exams in 3 weeks, but then again I had a degree in engineering and could work a slide rule! Should be easily do-able in a couple of months with an hour or so per night.

AFAIK you don't actually need to pass any radio exams for PPL issue, the FRTOL is a separate licence, though in practice I don't know whether any licensed airfield would accept non-radio aircraft for flying training