PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building in this god damn country...

EK4457
7th Feb 2008, 08:27
Ok guys, just under 30 hours before I've got my 100 P1 / 150 total hours and can finally start my CPL course.

However, based out of Barton this time of year is an absolute disaster. What little flying I do get is spent trying to keep straight and leve in 30kt gusts or dodging CB's and thick cloud at 1000 feet. Not a great way to sharpen your skills for the course!

Is anybody else in the same boat? I'm seriously considering going to Spain to finish it off. Can anyone recommend a good (but cheap) flying organisation in the Spain area who cater for hour builders?

Thanks,

EK

shaun ryder
7th Feb 2008, 09:16
Whats the rush? The weather will be similair when you come back to start your CPL. You need good weather for that also.

will fly for food 06
7th Feb 2008, 09:58
Flying in that kind of weather should be useful to sharpen your skills.

jodieroscoe
7th Feb 2008, 10:30
I no exactly what u mean, living up at leeds! its terrible and I loose my skills really easily! Im looking to go hour building in spain or america so let me know if you find anything good!

PrittPower
7th Feb 2008, 14:21
If you have 70P1 why not do ME IR first? then cpl after. Going to save you 30 hours of pointless flying.

Julian
7th Feb 2008, 16:32
What little flying I do get is spent trying to keep straight and leve in 30kt gusts or dodging CB's and thick cloud at 1000 feet. Not a great way to sharpen your skills for the course!

Anyone can fly straight and level in bright sunshine and calm conditions, the flying you are doing now will stand you in good stead when go onto more trying conditions and furture courses - it wont be so much of a shock for you. I actually go looking for marginal weather sometimes just to keep sharp on my instrument skills in actual rather than simulated (although I do do that as well).

You go/no go decision making will probably be better as well with such a nice mix of crap weather.

J.

A and C
7th Feb 2008, 16:45
Luck has a lot to do with the number of hours that you can do in the UK but the summer is not usualy to bad and 40 hours in two weeks is usualy not a problem any time from the end of April to mid October.

I had one guy rent one of my aircraft and do 23 hours in a week last October based on Teeside

mattia_70
7th Feb 2008, 17:29
I will be soon in the same situation where, after PPL in UK, I have to build hours to start my CPL flight training.

My intention, though, is to build the necessary hours in USA and then start the JR CPL course straight away (still in USA).

My doubt is, is this possible?

Has anyone gone this way?
I understand that it is possible to train and get a JAR CPL in USA (in schools recognized by CCA). Is that correct? (I do not intend to get IR for now)

Thanks for any reply

crap pilot
7th Feb 2008, 18:27
EK4457, I presume that you fly with aircraft grouping? I used to fly with them myself both as a member and an instructor. I now work from Liverpool flying light twins but if you ever need somebody to sit with you when the weather isnt too great(im assuming that you have not got the IR yet?) then i would be happy to sit in with you. I was just thinking that you could get more out of it then just the hours and could build a little confidence flying IFR which im sure will come in usefull. Pm me if you are interested.

Ringway004
8th Feb 2008, 21:47
hi, i'm doing exactly what your doing, I'm finishing my last ATPL exam in april then going to florida to do my hour building and cpl in orlando flight training. Although I wanted to build my hours at blackpool or barton would be more appropriate, the weather and financial system is an advanage, and having gained my ppl in the states I quite like flying in the states:)