PDA

View Full Version : Waorking in the UK with an australian licence??

jag28
7th Feb 2008, 05:48
Can anyone give me an idea on how a pilot with a commercial licence (an A320 first officer) with an Austtralia Licence work in the UK? I beleive the licence requirements are different and you'd need to convert the australian licence to a UK one which is costly/time consuming? Is there any way around this? Are there any airlines where you could be based in London/UK on Australian licence??

thanks!

whiskey1
7th Feb 2008, 06:33
You will have to obtain a JAA Licence.
Pass the 14 ATPL Theory exams.
If you have 500 hours on the bus you can do the skills test on the A320 observed by the UK CAA examiner.
You can even do the exams in Australia before you head over.
See: http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/courses/JARModular/index.asp

W1

no sponsor
7th Feb 2008, 11:07
If you are rated with experience and plan on being in the UK for a limited period of time, you can get a UK licence issued on the back of your FULL Oz ATPL. You will need to sit a IR and have an LPC with a CAA examiner; normally done in a sim for the aircraft you are rated on. You have to sit a JAA air law exam.

You must of course have the right to work in the UK, which is normally based on you or your wifes family.

This was the route followed by a Qantas Capt who flew with my airline for a year here in the UK.