PDA

View Full Version : Deaf Pilots

wannabepilot1531
7th Feb 2008, 02:56
Has anyone ever heard of pilots flying for airlines in Canada who are deaf in ONE ear? Is this a definite loss of medical? even if the other ear still has perfect hearing? just wondering.
thanks.

Ricky1
7th Feb 2008, 11:50
Heya,
I have never heard of a pilot flying for an airline, that was deaf in any ear what so ever. I have a class 1 JAA medical and a Transport Canada Class 1 medical. Both needed to fly to commercial standard. In both medicals I had my hearing tested in a sound proof room and a chart printed on their performance. This was sent along with my other medical results to the respected authorities for validation of my medicals. So I would have to say to your question, no.
I found this information on Transport Canada's website for a class one medical

1.26 There shall be

(a) no active pathological process, acute or chronic, of the inner ear or of the middle ear;

(b) no unhealed (unclosed) perforation of the tympanic membranes. However, a single dry perforation of non-infectious origin need not render the applicant unfit Medical Certificates shall not be issued or revalidated in these circumstances unless the appropriate hearing requirements specified in section 1.29 and following are complied with;

(c) no permanent obstruction of the Eustachian tubes;

(d) no permanent disturbances of the vestibular system.

Transient conditions shall be assessed as temporarily unfit while the condition exists.

CaptW5
7th Feb 2008, 22:08
I haven't done an audiogram in decades, but I am sure that me and a lot of colleagues have significant hearing damage in one or both ears.

Besides that, a lot of us are "selective deaf"; at least according to my wife and kids.

MidgetBoy
8th Feb 2008, 01:22
I know someone who holds a Cat 1 med with 1 eye.

AtoBsafely
8th Feb 2008, 02:04
"I know someone who holds a Cat 1 med with 1 eye."

Uh, are you sure?? Maybe another category, but not cat 1.

Does he have to carry a spare eyeball in his flightbag?

J.O.
8th Feb 2008, 23:16
In my 30 yrs in the business, I've known three pilots who held Class 1 medicals with monocular vision (sight in one eye).

AtoBsafely
9th Feb 2008, 04:15
My apologies then, I thought that was impossible.

Are there extra restrictions then?:O

MidgetBoy
10th Feb 2008, 08:00
They use triangulation to get past their lack of depth perception.

troff
13th Feb 2008, 13:46
"A!"
I ham deaf in da right hear, eh? Dat's because I was marry to da "Pit Bull wit da Lipstick" for six 'an a 'alf year and I done awl da driving.
Tank da lord dat she his gone, but every time da "biscuit shooter" ask 'ow I wan' my coffee and I say "pardon me?" I am force to tink habout dat, monster, tabernac!
I get by on da medical, barely, eh? Christ, 6500 hour on da RR Dart don' 'elp, eidder!
What? What you say?
t

Pluto's gone
14th Feb 2008, 02:18
What? Speak up... I can't hear you :bored:

North of You
14th Feb 2008, 15:43
What….there’s a deer next to you? Well shoot the damn thing son.

nite_owl
15th Feb 2008, 05:18
I know an individual who's deaf in one ear. He has a special headset that picks up the audio on his deaf side and relays it to his good ear. He flew for Jazz at the time he lost his hearing. He now works for Westjet.

fesmokie
17th Feb 2008, 15:12
Throw the Football Kid.

Pick it Up first Kid.:ugh:

philipfcc
24th Feb 2008, 08:27
i hold a category 1 medical, i am partially death in my left ear (50%), right ear is great. i am restricted to earphones. which is not a problem haha. i also had to go up with an examiner and he tested whether i could hear instructions, i was aloud to turn them up as loud as i want. there are also other ways of getting a letter of recommendation from an instructor, stating that you are able to hear and understand things under the circumstances. there are ways around it. one of the main side effects of being a pilot is hearing loss. there are also noise reducing head sets well all of them do that haha. hope that helped. :}

Rhys Perraton
7th Mar 2008, 06:20
Pardon....Sorry....What did you say....