PDA

View Full Version : Next Step - FAA PPL'er > JAA CPL/ME/IR'er

Famouswhendead
6th Feb 2008, 12:42
I have been living & working in the USA for a number of years and whilst there, I took the opportunity to obtain my FAA PPL and also recently completed the JAA ATPL's.
Now however, I have now returned to the UK and have begun to weigh up my options to go Pro in JAA-land. I should say that I want to avoid licence conversion (so doing it all FAA isn't an option) and indeed the UK PPL skills test if possible. Nor am I particularly fussed whether I do the JAA CPL or IR first.
I have enough hours in the book to commence either the JAA CPL or the IR - I believe from looking at LASORS that an FAA/ICAO PPL is sufficient to start the IR. I know the ICAO PPL is fine to begin CPL training, but wasn't too sure regarding the IR. Please correct me if I am wrong on that. However, I would also need to add a Multi- rating. Can I add a ME rating from a UK school to my FAA PPL which would be recognised by the UK CAA?

I'm not really sure which way to turn at present! Any advice or how you would approach it would be greatly appreciated.

pilotincommand
6th Feb 2008, 13:30
The CAA can only add a JAA rating to a licence they have issued so I don't see how you could get a JAA IR without having a JAA licence. However, most people apply for their CPL and IR at the same time so there would be no problem in doing the IR course first. You just wouldn't be able to apply for it until you've done you're CPL.

The same argument applies to the MEP.

Famouswhendead
7th Feb 2008, 09:58
Thank you for your comments PiC. That was precisely my train of thought, although trying to interpret LASORS for my circumstance gave me some ambiguity.

So, it is will fine for me to continue for the JAA CPL based on my ICAO PPL, that much I know for sure. Once I hopefully complete the JAA CPL with a pass, can I immediately start (ie. the next day) a ME add-on without actually having the licence book in my hand, merely a piece of paper with a 'Pass' idicated? The same with the IR then - could I start the JAA IR without having the CPL licence book actually issued in my hand, only the piece of paper? Has anyone actually had gone through a similar experience? Thanks