PDA

View Full Version : Where to train?

DaveK85
6th Feb 2008, 11:42
Hi there,
I've spent the last year researching and travelling trying to pick the right flight school... Are there any pilots that can give me some feedback of advice, I know Oxford is the panultimate school of schools, but its very expensive and i'm wondering if its really worth it?
My local school is PTC in waterford, but i'm getting mixed feedback on them and my greatest fear is forking out all this cash just to realise that i picked the wrong school? Is Oxford really worth it? Can anyone give me some feedback on where they trained and how it went. I love flying and I definately want to do it, but fear that picking the wrong school could damage your chances of being employed by a major Airline.
If you could give me some advice, that'd be great
Dave

nickmanl
6th Feb 2008, 11:49
What makes you think Oxford is the best out there? Is this due to their marketing campaign? From what I can make out PTC is a modular dressed up as integrated and is very expensive for what they offer. If you are doing modular you can do it cheaper elsewhere. It really is horses for courses though but IMO Cabair, Oxford and FTE are the ones probably worth going to if you are looking at the integrated route.

DaveK85
6th Feb 2008, 12:01
I was at the flyer exhibition in heathrow in november and from what i could tell just through conversation was that Oxford is very well connected and in terms of employability you would progress faster with an oxford qualification rather then an alternative. It is possible that i've been sucked in by their marketing campaign, which is why i'm asking for and do appreciate all advice

nickmanl
6th Feb 2008, 12:16
Cabair, FTE and Oxford are all in bed with the airlines. If you go to visit PTC ask them to justify their 98% claim and watch them squirm.....

Adios
6th Feb 2008, 21:06
PTC allegedly guarantees interviews to all "suitably qualified" graduates. Ask them to define suitably and see if they squirm. I haven't checked them out, so I don't know if they will squirm or not, but I hate reassuring claims with fine print or get out clauses.

They also claim 98% placement within 2 months of finishing the course. I am very suspicious of this claim. I can't help but think there must be a catch.

Along with Oxford, Cabair and FTE, you also owe it to yourself to apply with CTC if you meet their requirements.

DaveK85
6th Feb 2008, 21:28
thanks for the input adios

jodieroscoe
7th Feb 2008, 10:42
Im currently at oxford and would definetly recommend it!! Im doing the modular and not the integrated and the suport is fantastic. I also have freiends at CTC and they love it! so all the training schools which you have suggested sound fantastic so go with which you feel is best for you