PDA

View Full Version : LHR T5 Opening Soon...

Atlantean1963
5th Feb 2008, 16:31
A question, if I may:

When LHR T5 opens on 27/28 March, what is the likely impact on LHR departure/arrival performance? Would it be a good idea to avoid LHR for a couple of weeks (or even for ever) to let thing settle down a bit? :uhoh:

Yes, I know that's technically two questions, but I think you get the idea... :hmm:

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,

Atlantean.

10secondsurvey
5th Feb 2008, 16:33
As with all these things it could all go swimmingly. I intend avoiding it like the plague for at least a month until I see more reports on what it's like to transit. Don't believe the hype.

Hartington
5th Feb 2008, 17:48
Having participated in the passenger trials I have to say that I think BA and the BAA are being sucked in by their own hype. It's a new building and it seems to be generally very light and airy (by day). However, the processes are no better (or worse) than the current ones. The signage is generally good but there are a few issues.

As it happens I'm due to use it to fly out on 1st April - 4 days after it opens and April Fools Day (but the departure is PM). Still, at least we'll be able to use the lounge (one of which is already operational for testing).

Contacttower
5th Feb 2008, 21:41
I intend avoiding it like the plague for at least a month until I see more reports on what it's like to transit. Don't believe the hype.

It might just be the case that if enough people take that view T5 will start quite quiet and pleasant for those that do pass through.

pelagic
5th Feb 2008, 23:23
It might help if the building first obtains its Fire Safety Certificate, which, I am informed, it currently doesn't have, due to most of the lifts being inoperative. (If that's true, then its probably the same Lift Company that installed the lifts in the new Control Tower :hmm:.)

Talking of which, it will be interesting to see how the depleted ATC workforce deals with the revised aircraft ground movement workload associated with the T5 opening. I'm sure that, as professionals, they're up to the task - I just hope that, with the staff shortfall unremedied, it doesn't 'burn out' those that are left in the process.

Ahhh, the lure of sun, sea, sand, lots of dosh, lack of NATS Management, etc etc.:E

apaddyinuk
6th Feb 2008, 23:44
Well you also need to remember that really only a handful of flights will be operating out of T5 for the first month. Those flights will only be the few Longhauls (NRT X2, LAX X3, SFO X2, YVR X1 and HKG X3 adding to 11 flights a day) and all the origional T1 shorthaul departures excluding those that will be operated by 757's and moving to T3 later in the year (MAD, BCN, HEL, LIS, NCE and ALG). So to be honest T5 will actually be relatively quiet for the first month of operations. It will be on April 30th when the bulk of the Longhauls migrate over from T4 that things will start to get interesting!!!!

Im lucky enough to be operating onboard the inaugural arrival in from HKG on the opening day!!!

bealine
7th Feb 2008, 06:27
As one of the BA Frontline employees destined to work an early shift on March 27th, I just hope you're right about the smooth transition from Terminal One, apaddyinuk!

Unfortunately, there are some factors which the trials haven't yet ironed out such as how long it will take passengers to transfer from other terminals, bearing in mind that both the passengers and their bags, will be offloaded automatically from their onward connection if they haven't proceeded through security by an average of 35 mins before Departure Time. (The computer has a bit of leeway built in to allow for gates close to the Flight Connections area.)

We will see some interesting things, and some lost tempers, I have no doubt! Once the dust has settled and the second and third flight switches carried out, I am sure Terminal 5 will be a pleasant experience for both Passengers and Staff!

Hope you enjoy your HKG-LHR flight! Be prepared for flashbulbs a-popping and loads of press activity at 04.45 as you arrive on the first-ever flight into T5! :)

TightSlot
7th Feb 2008, 08:43
Congratulations apaddyinuk - Given that it's unlikely that they'd crew the inaugural with their least favoured crew, it is something of a pat on the back that you should get it.

radeng
7th Feb 2008, 11:12
I reckon that with the best will in the world, it will still be chaotic.

deep_south_gb
7th Feb 2008, 13:19
in reply 5, pelagic wrote:

"It might help if the building first obtains its Fire Safety Certificate, which, I am informed, it currently doesn't have, due to most of the lifts being inoperative. (If that's true, then its probably the same Lift Company that installed the lifts in the new Control Tower)"

I don't understand this - since every lift I have ever been in has a big notice to the effect of "in case of fire, use the stairs"...

PAXboy
7th Feb 2008, 15:06
Welcome aboard deep_south_gb, that was a very amusing first post!! In the 25 years that I was involved with buildings (old and new) through my work in telecommunications - the fire certificate was ALWAYS awarded. Usually with less than 24 hours to go.

That is because the owners know that they cannot start without it and do not wish to lose face (and money) so they divert 100% of contractors and staff to fix those things that the fire authority require. Anything that can wait - or be painted over - will wait and be painted over.

WHBM
7th Feb 2008, 17:26
both the passengers and their bags, will be offloaded automatically from their onward connection if they haven't proceeded through security by an average of 35 mins before Departure Time. (The computer has a bit of leeway built in to allow for gates close to the Flight Connections area.)
This will be particularly interesting to see in action for the approx 50% of BA departures where, at scheduled departure time, the incoming aicraft has not even arrived on stand yet.

PAXboy
7th Feb 2008, 18:45
Come, come, come WHBM, you know very well that BA + BAA have got that all worked out. Naturally, someone will have anticipated that loophole and interlinked all the software systems so that such an occurrence can never occur.

Now, where is the 'smiley' for rolling on the floor, waving my legs in the air, helpless with laughter?

flyin_phil
8th Feb 2008, 22:10
im a new ramp agent in T4 and also have my roster starting in T5 on 27th march at 0630.. im really looking forward to it actually, i just hope everything goes smoothly. especially the 1st few weeks. despite some peoples fears, i think it will go well. :ok: