PDA

View Full Version : Another sqn bites the dust

Roland Pulfrew
5th Feb 2008, 10:12
According to today's BBC News Online:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7227978.stm

The Helpful Stacker
5th Feb 2008, 10:15
The MoD is investing £5bn in its new fleet of 144 Typhoon aircraft.....

Presumably they only mean the F2 variant right?

harrogate
5th Feb 2008, 10:30
What do they know about Leeming that we don't, or is it just shoddy research?

Archimedes
5th Feb 2008, 10:34
I think it means that we've only committed to Tranche 1 and Tranche 2 so far - invested in 144 and still to sign for the 88 in Tranche 3 - so it'll include FGR4s (and T3s) as well as the T1/F2.

Harrogate - the journalist probably has the briefing notes that say that there'll be three Typhoon bases, rather than the latest info that refers only to two. That said, you can find quite a bit of speculation around these means suggesting that Leeming will get Typhoons, so perhaps the journo reads Pprune...

Ali Barber
5th Feb 2008, 11:05
Has the battle been fought yet over which number plate will remain?

Gainesy
5th Feb 2008, 11:22
Hmm, Free-Range or Oven-Ready Chickens?

27mm
5th Feb 2008, 12:57
Hi Ali,

Current rumour-mill has it that 56 folds and the jets are absorbed into 43, which becomes a "super" Sqn with an embedded training flight.

XV277
5th Feb 2008, 16:04
This is news? Wasn't this announced last year?

Safeware
5th Feb 2008, 19:24
But 43(F) Sqn was the first to have a Typhoon:

43 Sqn Typhoon (http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/ef2000/ef200012.html)

:)

sw

Ali Barber
5th Feb 2008, 19:42
Was on 65(R) when we had our number plate thrown away in preference to 56 and thereby inherited Albert Ball's uniform in our coffee bar - which then had to be locked when not in use! Which poor sod will inherit it now?

p.s. 65 had mainly been in existence during war time and couldn't call on high priced support. It's crest honours the 13 kills made in one day during WW1. 56 were withdrawn north from BofB for LMF so I am led to believe.

I stand willing to be corrected, but still didn't like having a coffee bar turned into an unofficial museum.

Archimedes
5th Feb 2008, 20:16
ISTR that 56's withdrawal northwards was for LLP (Lack of Living Pilots) rather than LMF. They were down to eight operational pilots and seven aircraft (and no OC or flight commanders) by the end of August and were sent to Boscombe Down to allow them to rebuild.

I'd have thought that Ball's uniform ought to be in the RAF Museum rather than a coffee bar...

Lima Juliet
5th Feb 2008, 20:58
Ali B

Albert Ball's uniform was presented to Nottingham Museum (his birthplace) as it was starting to deteoriate and also its safety could not be guaranteed. Believe it or not some scroat had already nicked the original VC - never to be seen again...

You can't trust anyone these days:(

Tim McLelland
6th Feb 2008, 19:48
Leuchars tell me that it is indeed 43 that will remain in business.

As for Leeming getting Typhoons - I don't think that will be a surprise for anyone!

ukmil
6th Feb 2008, 21:42
indeed 56 will cease on APR 25th. 43 will stand up with 33 airframes on Apr 28th. it will run from the exisitng 56 Sqn Line and site

artyhug
6th Feb 2008, 21:47
You never know, you boys might get a 4-ship off the ground on a monday morning.... Missing you already.......

Never Alert
6th Feb 2008, 21:47
There was never a contest for Sqn plates, 43 was always staying.

As for Li & Tiffies, I reckon it will be a while before they make a decision. Lets face it, there's no rush! 6 Sqn is a good way off.

Perhaps the option to keep the logistics chain between both Tiffie bases as short as poss may swing it. The GR4 fleet has proven just how costly it can be to have them so far apart.

I'm sure the 56 guys & girls get what they want post stand down. :rolleyes:

Guzlin Adnams
7th Feb 2008, 21:20
Should have kept Honington for GR4's........close to Marham.