PDA

View Full Version : IR Distance learning

jenni225
5th Feb 2008, 08:24
Hi, I completed my CPL and ATPL, but unfortunately due to work commitments and lack of money I could not complete my IR. I now have the money to take my IR exams, and I am considering going down the distance learning route. Can anyone give me some advice or information on where best to take the exams?

littco
5th Feb 2008, 08:51
Not quite sure if I follow, You have your CPl and ATPL written exams but want to do your IR exams? Which ones are these? Are you talking FAA exams, as if you have your CAA ATPL written exams (14) then the only thing you need is the IR skills test, which has to be done in the Plane within 18months of the last ATPL written exam sat., can't really be done distance learning... Can you explain a little more...

pilotincommand
5th Feb 2008, 09:13
If you sit the IR exams you will not get a fATPL. If you want that you will need to sit the ATPL exams again.

Bearing 123
5th Feb 2008, 09:28
Just a quick point worth noting.
If you have done the ATPL writtens, you only have three years from the pass date of your last exam to do both the CPL and the ME/IR.

Not sure if this is relevant, but you did indicate a gap in training so worth checking to make sure your writtens are still valid.

FlyingIsFun
5th Feb 2008, 19:53
If you are talking IR groundschool exams, then I think they can only be done at Gatwick.

RVR800
6th Feb 2008, 12:45
Jenni

If at the end of the day you require an ATPL you are required to repass all exams; you dont need to do all the hours of training but you will need to sign up to a Ground School provider to get sign-off to repass all those exams

If you want a CPL/IR you only need to sit the IR exam

Why these exams expire so quickly is beyond me - more then likely to do with money and to force you to do the flight tests within a 36 month period to consolidate learning (or to encourage you to spend your money quickly)