PDA

View Full Version : CPL versus ATPL theory

fanda78
4th Feb 2008, 21:47
Hi all,

Like most of you here I want fly for living, however life of airline pilot doesn' look too interesting to me.
My dream job is to fly C206, Twin Otter, Beaver or Gran Caravan on floats.
I'm about to finish my PPL this year, and I am wondering what to do next.
I know that I will need IR, Multi, and CPL but do I need ATPL theory?

Also how big difference is between ATPL and CPL ground exams? If I will have ATPL theory exams done, do I need to sit the CPL ones as well?
Or, having CPL is there any way how to upgrade it on to ATPL (in case I will change mind :))

Whirlygig
4th Feb 2008, 22:18
The difference between CPL and ATPL is not that much. The syllabus is slightly larger but the standard of the questions asked is about the same.

If you have ATPL exams, then you don't need to sit CPL exams. However, if you sat CPL exams and later needed ATPL exams, then you would have to sit the whole lot.

You might as well do the ATPL exams.

Cheers

Whirls

Irish_Stu
4th Feb 2008, 23:57
This is something I've been thinking about a bit as well...
How about this scenario..

I know you have 3 years to complete the CPL/IR after finishing your ATPLs.
What if you did a CPL, and say an instructor rating, but hadn't done an IR by the time the 3 years was up.
Would you be left with a valid CPL, but would have to resit the ATPLs if you wanted to go for an ATPL licence in the future?

Thanks,

Stu

fanda78
5th Feb 2008, 06:17
Thanks Whirlygig!
You made my decesion easier.:D

Whirlygig
5th Feb 2008, 06:26
Would you be left with a valid CPL, but would have to resit the ATPLs if you wanted to go for an ATPL licence in the future?
Yes and yes.

Cheers

Whirls

Electricflyer
5th Feb 2008, 10:43
Hi folks!
Just a quick post similar to that of Irish Stu's :
What about this scenario? If you complete your ATPL exams but for whatever reason fail to do the IR within the said 3 years after the last exam, are you left with a valid set of CPL exams passes with which you could go on and do some instructing/ non-airline flying?
Hope this makes sense- just a question that has continued to bug me..:confused:Any replies most appreciated.

Whirlygig
5th Feb 2008, 10:46
Yes. That's the question I answered in post 5.

Cheers

Whirls

Electricflyer
5th Feb 2008, 10:54
Whirlygig,
Yes, reading it again suddenly realised you had answered it...sorry to bother you!! I should pay more attention..:rolleyes:

Irish_Stu
5th Feb 2008, 10:54
Thanks for answering Whirls..

Just doing a bit of planning for the future. Hoping to go the modular route after finishing my PPL, at least then I wouldn't be in crazy debt if the "recession" kicks in as some people are predicting.
I'm thinking a good option is to do ATPLs, then CPL and instructor rating and instruct for maybe 2 years, then do IR in the year before the ATPLs expire...

Anyone see any flaws in my plan?

Electricflyer
5th Feb 2008, 11:10
Irish Stu,
I think your plan is sound; by doing that you keep your options open, minimise your costs and when you come to do your IR you'll have more experience, more hours and be that much more current when those airline jobs come thick and fast (I wish!). Besides, I think instructing can be fun even if the Ferrrari will have to wait a while... Good luck with your plan and stay safe.
Cheers, Electric.