PDA

View Full Version : What is it that is so ADDICTIVE about helicopters?

LongTailRotor
4th Feb 2008, 20:02
I got hooked when we went on a flight in a Long Ranger (G-LIMO) for my mums 40th. The helicopter picked us up from our house and took us to Filey in North Yorkshire and we landed on the cliff top. We ended up being on the front page of the local newspaper, much to our embarassment at the time!! We had a cup of tea on the sea front and then flew to sheffield airport. From then on i was well and truly hooked.

Whats Your story?

Thanks.

LongTailRotor..

Ethompson
4th Feb 2008, 20:26
I discovered my passion to fly when my friends dad kindly took me up for a short flight around the peak district in his R-22 (G-TIMH), whilst i was up something 'clicked' and I have been hooked ever since.

Thanks, Ethompson

CGWRA
4th Feb 2008, 21:02
My dad is a helicopter pilot. Growing up I idolized him and the cool things he got to do at work. He would take me along whenever possible and I was hooked ever since I can remember. Slash burning, Fire fighting, Animal capture, Tree topping, Fishing, Medivacs, Flying Santa, Moving drills, the potential for diversity is endless. Now I'm just in my second year of flying myself and some of the challenges I expected and some of them I didn't but I couldn't picture myself doing anything else.

bladeslapper
4th Feb 2008, 21:28
Not many in life get to fly a personal magic carpet, but when I first did a photo shoot from a 206, I knew what I wanted to do. However many years passed before I could fulfill the dream.

After my first day of training, it took several days for the smile to fade!

Many years on and I still love to fly the 'magic carpet'. In fact the phrase of SEX ON SKIDS comes to mind, but don't tell 'er indoors

rudestuff
4th Feb 2008, 22:15
I went to the States to become a fixed wing pilot - for the money and the hosties, obviously... Whilst I was there a man named Osama got up to a few things which resulted in no career prospects and the potential to lose all my money - helicopters were a viable option and a good way to blow the money fast, before the school could go bust. The bonus is that you can fly low, slow and backwards a lot more (plus no 500' rule in the states!) - you're not IFR in big long straight lines everywhere. Plus after becoming a REAL pilot - handling again plank is childsplay...

Whirlygig
4th Feb 2008, 23:05
During the 2002 Commonwealth Games, I had the opportunity for a jump-seat ride in a Bolkow (thanks SC and JJ). Loved it. I jumped out of that helicopter and announced to the world that I HAD to that.

A few months later, had a similar trip (thanks DB) which opened my eyes to it being a bit more tricky than it looked but still ....

And within 13 months, I had my PPL(H). After my first few lessons though, I was ker-nackered. Smiling but ker-nackered. And one of my favourite moments was when I got a round of applause at a small airfield for my beautiful reverse parking :O .

Cheers

Whirls

IHL
4th Feb 2008, 23:23
Other than the engineering involved to obtain vertical flight...nothing.

Bell 206
4th Feb 2008, 23:40
growing up around helicopters (parents own a helicopter company) i did not understand or could even see what all the fuss was about..

then as i grew up and had to make a career choice, i decided flying sounded like a good option, family company.. something fairly stable.. (over 25 years already)..

once i started and eventually gaining enough experience to do the desert surveys/filming etc i found out what it was all about!! being in control of such a piece of machinery that could and wil bite you at anytime..

flying on sunset up a river (that you KNOW has NO power lines or anything else, for that fact nothing for at least 100nm) at 5ft above the water at 110knots (all alone) listening to the great CCRs song Run through the jungle!! nil wind no doors, PERFECT - what better way to earn a living!!!

taking tourists/passengers on their first flight and seeing the smiles on their faces that you know will last for days..

i also LOVE the fact that i get to see some of Australia's country that you could almost gaurentee no human has possibly been!!!

also the start of a turbine.. tick tick tick.. the smell of burnt jet fuel!

what more could someone want in a career!!! bugger the money i do it for the love!!!!! :eek:

ShyTorque
4th Feb 2008, 23:42
Er....... women love a big chopper.

Unfortunately, I only have a small one these days. Well, a bit over 3 tonnes. Hardly enough to attract anyone. :O

Whirlygig
4th Feb 2008, 23:49
Not necessarily ShyT! I'd much rather fly, say, a 109 rather than a Sea King! Some women go for quality. :p

That being said, I'd love to fly a Chinook!

Cheers

Whirls

MLH
5th Feb 2008, 05:04
It was the hover that first hooked me and, after 14 years I'm still facinated by it.

MartinCh
5th Feb 2008, 07:06
I got hooked up ages ago.
First thing to get hooked up - girls in creche.
Second thing - planes and helicopters in kindergarten.

As a little boy drawing Bell 206 lookalike (all right, ugly something desperately trying to look like one) instead of cars and playing with anything that could fly instead of playing with cars in the dirt slope like my friends did.

Finding all the small Korea era MIGs left scattered around Slovakia in kids playgrounds very interesting, getting into cockpit and pretending it's not pile of junkyard aluminium. Having vivid dreams of that WWII DC-3 or so in green camo I once visited as a boy and rediscovered in central Slovakia while there at Uni (I didn't finish much to my mom's discontent).

Flying, whether gliders or choppers, ultralights, anything. It's all great.

Watching 'Hot Shots' TV series with bunch of guys with tiny cameras on their RC cars and more importantly, RC choppers. Amazing. Thrilling.

All the gorgeous flying and aerial activities and stunts in Ushuaia Adventure.
All the low level flying and steep bank turns in movies.
All that makes me uncontrollably veer to side with my head or body looking kinda frenzy and as if having fit. That says it all.

When as a kid, I played with little gliders, wind up choppers, envying my flat block neighbour's RC chopper I saw him fly couple times until it ended up hung on his balcony for good (probably screwed up flying).
I dreamt of having RC chopper. I couldn't afford it.

Come early teenage years, getting to know the amount of effort, money, TT hours and stringent health for the mil (fighter jets are also nice machines, shame they're made to kill) - having had some fractures and minor vision correction, I thought I could never make it - so I grew up and tried to find viable 'career' that won't bore me to death. Money is issue, but not important in terms of salary. Plus, not having a chance for any kind of sponsorship, huge loan to train to fly (still envying US citizens and Scandinavians or Brits/Irish with house or mortgage to spare)

Having saved up some dosh in the UK over past years (grew up in Czecho/Slovakia) for my future plans ie studies, living around the world, I had my life-long sparkle re-ignited by flatmate here in Belfast. He's Nigerian German passport holder with US green card and almost 1000 TT in planks up to 40 seater experience. He doesn't fly commercially anymore although he says he'd love to try choppers but doesn't see it as a career for himself anymore.

I'm going to fetch some cash from inheritance back home, begging my mom to get me more from some land sale over this year so I won't have to save so many more years until I'm up to CFI/FI and 'employable'.
Having saved for years on pittance wages, any 'leftover' chunk of money is highly appreciated as it spares me from saving yet another few years on top of next two.

I've been hooked up since I remember. The only things that would prevent me from flying would be loss of medical (for comm flying) or death.
Since I cheated death at quite a few occasions during my life, I know I'm not invincible.

I used to fly paragliding a bit when younger as it was the only 'affordable' way of flying. But it brought me more sad times than joy for many reasons, not the flying itself.

I don't find big passenger jets interesting. I don't feel that interested.
One can fly smaller planes for living, I could, but it's not as fun as flying helicopters.
All the reasons mentioned in dif threads about which direction to choose, whether FW or RW. Heli flying is about flying. Not getting from A to B unless it's charter. We all know all this since we're PPRUNE regulars.

I'm starting my real life this summer in the US. It brings lots of uncertainties, but it's a challenge. As with anything really important in life, I'm trying to arrange everything, prepare for possible outcomes etc.

One should rather ask what is there NOT TO get hooked up to helicopters or flying in general. Women and flying. Two best things in life.
I'm sacrificing the earlier in order to have both later in my life and not whinge 'what ifs' for the rest of my life with women only.

I see money in my savings as a means to fly. Not as something to spend on lavish 'lifestyle' BS. Some people, wannabes, ask others on another threads about investment to potential salary ratio, investment (ie training costs) return time etc. They might have to consider their families, mortgages etc, but if it's young persons (guys and the odd but very welcome female aviator) I see them as not so dedicated to the cause.
It can be both making good money and flying, but it should be about flying first of all. If there's someone who decides not to train to fly as it's financially silly step, then, alas, they're not meant to fly for living.

Let's all fly until we die (of age)
Happy flying and training to fly

KNIEVEL77
5th Feb 2008, 09:48
When I was 7 a relative invited my dad and I to look around his Royal Navy Frigate that had docked in Newcastle.

Although the ship was fascinating, it was when he let me sit in the Lynx helicopter that saw me hooked.

Since then i've flown to Rigs in the North Sea, been from Nice to Monaco on several occasions and even had the pleasure of flying in a Sea King with the lads from RAF Boulmer..........all as part of my job as a Film and Television Sound Recordist!

Now i'm just about to embark on my PPL(H), 35 years after sitting in that Lynx!

Hilico
6th Feb 2008, 11:22
At the age of three, someone gave me a plastic toy Dragonfly helicopter. My thought was not 'what is this' but 'so THIS is what I've been looking for'. Nowadays I cannot possibly afford to fly and keep a tight lid on wanting to.

EDIT: so what is it that is so addictive? For me it's purely genetic. Joe Average can point to how they arrive on the scene with a swirl of noise and glamour, those samurai swords flashing overhead and the people inside looking so cool, but I didn't get even that close until I was 11.

heliroger
6th Feb 2008, 16:57
i'm just to glad to see that i'm not the only one addicted to helicopters.i used to go the the heliport back then in port harcourt (shell i.a) and watch the bell 212 operated by Bristow.i still remember their lovely sound and sight.
Hopefully,i'll get to fly a 412 soon as i'm about to commence my heli training.

To all the lovers of helicopetrs,i say "keep it up":ok:

ciao

mylesdw
6th Feb 2008, 18:20
Never really thought about helicopters at all until I went to work for a company in Newbury that had one. We used it to go and visit customers, make service calls and so on. After the first ride I knew it was something that I just had to do!

BusinessMan
6th Feb 2008, 19:10
I can't remember being an age when I didn't want to fly helicopters, know everything about how they worked and what they did. I can only remember not understanding why most other people didnt understand :)

Sorry TET, lost something in my explanation there! - I didn't mean I knew everything about how they worked & what they did; I meant "...I can't think of an an age where I didn't want to know everything about how they worked and I can't think of an age where I didn't want to know everything about what they did". Badly worded I guess ;)

topendtorque
6th Feb 2008, 19:41
know everything about how they worked and what they did. I can only remember not understanding why most other people didnt understand

Wow, after 33 years of rotary, i'm still trying to figure 'em out.

The only thing I know is that if helicopters didn't come along to my life, I'd a had to be robbing banks.

Peter-RB
6th Feb 2008, 19:56
When I was a youngster many moons ago I used to cycle about 4/5 miles from school in the Yorkshire Dales to our home, on certain afternoons I used to go like hell so that I could have my evening meal early and then watch "Chuck and PT who were my hero's for they were the pilots in the the Bell 47s in the tv programme "Whirly Birds", that programmes was the ignition of my fire and absolute total wish to fly helicopters.

Many moons later at the age of 50yrs I took the chance and started being taught to fly the R22, 40 hours of tuition later I had my PPL(H), I soloed at about 10/12 hours and guess what,... that smile has never left my face:D

Peter R-B
Vfrpilotpb:ok:

bvgs
8th Feb 2008, 07:43
Being a guy who always liked his toys( boats motor bikes etc) I took a pleasure flight with my daughter who was 13 at the time on the Isle of Arran in an R44. The pilot, Graham, took us low level and fast across a field before lifting over a hedge and climbing. On the return he showed me how manouverable it was going left to right and even backwards. When we got out my daughter said " so how long before you get one of these dad?" 12 months later I owned my own R22 , now have a 44 and still get out the heli after a flight with a big smile on my face:).

Max Shutterspeed
8th Feb 2008, 12:50
First ever Heli ride was in a Gazelle around 1986, scrounged a seat while working at a motor show on a golf course. The pilot lifted, hover taxied to the long fairway, then accelerated down it before turning speed into height. Just solid acceleration, no gear changes and a great view between my feet.

That was it.......

Now fortunate enough to earn a living behind a camera and get to spend time in planks and helis.

Other notable moments include a trip at night around New York in '98 in an AStar and last year spending time with HEMS. Never flown with anyone before who only found out roughly were they were going about 60 seconds before lifting, then had to work out exactly where once en-route.

Just a shame you can't hire one for the same money as a Cessna 172....

MS

Whirlybird
8th Feb 2008, 15:33
I was a happy little PPL(A), with no plans to learn anything else new or get a new career. I just decided to go for a trial helicopter lesson for something different to do, and I said to all my friends that it was lucky it was so expensive, because it meant that even if I liked it I'd never dream of taking it up. But on my TL, as soon as I managed to hover with all three controls, that was it. That 35 seconds (my instructor was timing it) had me hooked and changed my life.

ShyTorque
8th Feb 2008, 21:41
In 1977 I was lucky enough to be sent to hold at RAF Leconfield, on the SAR flight who operated Whirlwind 10s. I became their "professional survivor" for a few weeks and spent a lot of days getting very wet. As my reward, one day I was taken flying by the Sqn QHI. About twenty minutes later after "effects of controls" around the town of Beverley he talked me into the hover and somehow I managed to land the machine, after a fashion (although the marshaller gave up in disgust, or possibly because of exhaustion :p ).

That did it..... :)

McBad
9th Feb 2008, 08:38
Probably an ok place for a first post.

Years ago when I lived in Edinburgh I was a member of the Scottish Cave Rescue Team, sort of by default through being a member of the only Scottish caving club. Callouts happened about once per geological time period, however one supper time the phone rang...

...down to central police HQ at Fettes Avenue and onwards across Edinburgh by minibus, destination Assynt in Sutherland where a holidaymaker had gone missing from their hotel. The local MRT had found marks round a pothole entrance and suspected the missing man might have fallen in.

After twenty minutes the radio called us back to Fettes Avenue. We thought we had been stood down. But no, there on the playing field at police HQ was a great yellow Wessex thundering away (which tells you how many years ago!). A bit of elbow secured the bucket seat by the open door and we drifted across Edinburgh at a couple of hundred feet, looking at the top of the gasometers and small clouds popping past the sponson beyond the door. Gobsmacking.

Flew up the whole of Scotland like that, herds of deer running away across the moors in front of us... For much of the journey we followed the A9, and I swear it is true the RAF do use the roadsigns :)

Following those two days I knew I had to do it! Twenty years later I'm half way through the PPL.

Cheers, M.

wokkaboy
9th Feb 2008, 09:54
School visit from an ex-pupil who was flying RAF SAR.

Aircraft sat in the hover above us whilst we sat on the playing field in amazement!

Been hooked ever since
:ok:

twomags
10th Feb 2008, 08:16
As a boy it was always what I was going to do once I had more money than sense. Never thought I'd actually get there. When I grew up I realised I only needed more CREDIT than sense!

206Fan
10th Feb 2008, 14:21
But on my TL, as soon as I managed to hover with all three controls, that was it. That 35 seconds (my instructor was timing it) had me hooked and changed my life.

WB..

I got hooked in the same line as you by managing a hover in a R22 on my Trail Lesson a few months ago, instructor looked at me and said since you've managed a hover that good you might aswel take full control and set her down over on the concrete area which i done nicely so im hoping to pursue the CPL overseas this year.. Due to work i only got doing another 2 lessons and didn't get doing anymore..

Dave..

HKmk23
10th Feb 2008, 16:55
Soon as realised you could STOP...FLY Backwards.....without having to go all the way round and fly past again!
Only in an Enstrom....but the E stands for Exstacy (and not the tablet crap)

bolkow
11th Feb 2008, 12:25
Mine began as a young child when a hiller helicopter landed in the field behind our house. It lingered going and coming for a few weeks, I remember building a detailed exact copy with my meccano set! Some years later A bolkow began arriveing every two weeks to service the local offshor lighthouse (EI-AWB/G-AZOM), I was regular as clockwork to see it when holidays permitted. A few years later, and two bolkows later the then piolt out of the blue asked me "do you fancy a 35 minute hop to Dublin"? his next stop, and I jumped at the chance. I have flown with them a few times since, when at home and they are around, I just caught the bugt goodo after that.
Since then I cant pass an airport if a chopper is in, simply have to see it, like the sea king from civernor at swansea yesterday, (ZH540), watching those same blades that droop but lift it off and away, the click clink click of the turbines starting and the smell! Better than sex any day!

500e
11th Feb 2008, 16:09
I only learnt because her in doors INSISTED honest !!! :ok:

serf
11th Feb 2008, 16:44
Christ you must be good Whirly, hovering after 35 seconds - I must be crap!

Dysfunctional
23rd Feb 2008, 04:01
The view from my office window!

saffron
23rd Feb 2008, 11:24
Fly planks now (gulfstream G550) but nothing beats flying helis,addicted on first pull of the collective when we magically rose into the air,truly like a magic carpet!

22clipper
24th Feb 2008, 01:50
I've spent a bit of time thinkin' this one through. There are different aspects that appeal to different personality types.

Do you remember the JFK speech about going to the moon, not because it was going to be easy but because it would be hard? That's it for me. Helicopters try really hard.

A folded piece of paper will glide but you don't see many paper helos. A chopper is just so many artful compromises, like living creatures it works because of multiple successive approximations.

I just love 'em. They are a curious mixture of elegant theory & pragmatic engineering. They can be a subtle blunt instrument at times. I've logged a thousnad hours this last decade getting to know just one simple type & I got the terrible feelin' I don't understand the half of it.

Like the superhetrodyne radio receiver & no limit hold 'em poker, whirly birds are as much art as science & I'm very grateful to have made their acquaintance.