PDA

View Full Version : IR/ME Question

Andy_20
4th Feb 2008, 16:52
Can you do the IR/ME course if you have not yet finished the ATPL theory? As the entry requirements only say completed a set theorectical study iaw JAR-FCL? any ideas?

parris50
4th Feb 2008, 16:58
You can do an IR with a PPL and you can also do an MEP rating with a PPL so I would have thought you'd be fine. For you CPL you will need ATPL or CPL exams though.

AlphaMale
4th Feb 2008, 17:19
Parris50 - I think what he means is can he sit the ME-IR theory free? If a PPL pilot has passed the ATPL exams then there is no need to sit the IR exams or the CPL exams.

I don't really have the answer to the question but from looking at FTO's websites it does say on most that you need 'ATPL or IR theory exams passed' as an entry requirement.

Andy_20
4th Feb 2008, 17:38
Nope Paris hit straight on the button, thanks guys for both your inputs

pilotincommand
4th Feb 2008, 17:45
You will not be able to sit an IR test without holding a full pass in either the ATPL or IR exams. I would doubt if an FTO would let you take the course without having completed the writtens.

FlyingIsFun
4th Feb 2008, 19:40
The FTO should ask to see either your ATPL-theory pass or your IR theory pass before letting you start the IR course.

As said above an MEP can be attached to a PPL and it does not have a stand alone groundschool requirement. On an MEP flying training course there is a short theoretical test to take as part of that course.

Andy_20
4th Feb 2008, 20:10
Where would you take an IR course? i have never seen one advertised

pilotincommand
4th Feb 2008, 20:34
GTS at Bournemouth and CATS at Cranfield both do them. They're may be others but it's a bit pointless if you're already doing the ATPL.

Bearing 123
5th Feb 2008, 08:20
Three years from the date of your last ATPL written exam pass.
Good Luck :ok:

Warrior2
5th Feb 2008, 09:21
Thanks! Bearing!