PDA

View Full Version : PPL Human Performace Exam - Help!

187nj
4th Feb 2008, 12:11
Hello again.

I am about to sit the Human Performance exam in one week.

Could anyone tell me how many questions there will be and in what area's?

Also, does anyone know of any links to past exams papers that I could study?

Thanks,

Whirlygig
4th Feb 2008, 12:16
I'm afraid I can't remember how many questions there are but they will cover the whole syllabus (as per either Trevor Thom's or Jeremy Pratt's books). The PPL Confuser book will help for the style of the questions but they are not actual past papers.

Your instructor should be able to help with the format.

Cheers

Whirls

187nj
4th Feb 2008, 12:30
I just found out from my instructor that there are 20 questions but he didn't know in which area's.

Can anyone else help me with this?

Whirlygig
4th Feb 2008, 12:34
Which books are you using? If my help is good enough for that is!!!

Cheers

Whirls

187nj
4th Feb 2008, 12:39
I am using the 'Air Pilot's Manual' edited by Peter Goodwin.

Thanks.

Whirlygig
4th Feb 2008, 12:48
Sounds like Trevor Thom! In all honesty, you need to cover the whole book. If you haven't already got it, get the PPL Confuser (try any of the aviation suppliers online) - this will give you a good guide.

There really isn't any more to it than this. The APM books do not waste much paper in writing stuff that is not required for PPL and, where it does, it states that it is CPL level.

Cheers

Whirls

187nj
4th Feb 2008, 12:59
Whirls.

Thanks for the help. I'm basically reading a chapter at a time and then refering to the back of the book for questions on that chapter.
I was hoping to find a copy of an old exam paper so then I would know exactly what to expect.

Thanks again.

Whirlygig
4th Feb 2008, 13:18
The PPL exam is multi-choice and the questions in the back of the APM books are, in my opinion, harder!

Cheers

Whirls

187nj
4th Feb 2008, 13:20
Fantastic!

I love being thrown into the deep end!

4th Feb 2008, 13:44
187 - I know it's easier said than done, but I wouldn't worry about the exam at all. I did mine a few months ago and I was surprised at how easy it was. I was also very surprised at how general a lot of the questions were.

I don't think you will be able to find a copy of the old papers as I imagine they are very well guarded and PPL exams papers that you sit will probably be 2 or 3 years old anyway.

Whirls is obviously right, you do need to cover all the material in the book, but I wouldn't get hung up about thinking you need to know 100% of the detail on 100% of the subjects. You will find that as you go through, some subjects will stand out as being more than others.

Although I am hazy on the content of my exam, I can remember a few of the specific questions/areas:

o Symptoms/Recognition of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
o Symptoms/Recognition of hypoxia.
o Given a diagram of the 'basic T' instrument pattern and asked to identify the missing instrument.
o Spatial Disorientation - sensations under acceleration, deceleration etc.
o Visual Illusions - up sloping, down sloping, wide, narrow runway perspectives i.e if coming into land on a narrow, up sloping runway, are you likely to overshoot, undershoot etc.
o I think 'Stress' was in there too? The ranked list of 'life events'?

The PPL Confusor would be a very worthwhile investment and a combination of that and the questions in your study books will see you through no problem.

Good luck!

fitlike
4th Feb 2008, 14:34
Get the ppl confuser, if you can answer all the questions , then your ready to sit the HP exam. I found 2 hours revision got me a 95% pass. The easiest exam by far. Now Law and Met that's a little bit harder.

IM

bri1980
4th Feb 2008, 15:40
This is by far the easiest of the PPL exams. All I did was to do the questions in the confuser then read the answers and explanations in the confuser the night before; result? 100%.

Best advice is get the confuser asap, and relax!

187nj
5th Feb 2008, 11:12
Guys.

That is really sound advice thanks for all your comments.

I am going to purchase the PPL confuser and book myself in to sit the exam this weekend.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers and all the best for the future!

TicketyBlue
6th Feb 2008, 11:57
www.airquiz.com