PDA

View Full Version : A330 Tank fuel temp

A330AV8R
4th Feb 2008, 08:22
HI there

Does anyone know when the temp in the trim tank and the outer left tank dissappear and why ? on the A332 ....

:}

celtic mech
4th Feb 2008, 16:04
G'day...
As far as i can remember the trim tank temp indication disappears when tank quantity goes below 1000kg and from the wing tank when the quantity from the left hand outer wing tank goes below about 1100kg. I suppose the reason being that this fuel will soon be used up, therefor no further need to know the temp.

WaterMeths
4th Feb 2008, 16:55
I fly the A319, and the outer tank temp indications disappear as soon as the transfer valves open to empty the contents into the inner tanks. Therefore I'd go with the reasoning that knowledge of the temp is no longer valid.

Cheers

WM

K.Whyjelly
4th Feb 2008, 18:21
And why do the main tanks on the 332 both have independent temp indications but only the left outer tank has a temp indication??

celtic mech
4th Feb 2008, 19:09
They probably reason that there is no real need to have the outer tank monitored on both wings, as both outer tanks stay near enough to 3000kg due to keeping the fuel in the outer tanks to relieve stresses (wing load alleviation),....so if there is 3000kg on one side....chances are the temperature of that 3000kg is pretty damm close to the 3000kg on the other side! Off the top of my head i think its like the Boeing designs of taking the temp readings from the left hand tanks...737NG takes the fuel temp reading from the L/H side (no.1 tank)

westinghouse
5th Feb 2008, 05:30
hi,

i was told by an engineer that the IDG cooling is done by the fuel in both inner tanks. hence if the cooling is not working you can immediately notice a difference between the two inner temps. the two temp are mainly used to monitor the cooling.

how ever since theres nothing written in the book i might be wrong.

bye.

A330AV8R
5th Feb 2008, 07:37
Hi JELLY

The main tanks on the A332 have temp indications to monitor IDG cooling just as someone else posted , and the outer left tank has an indication and not the outer right , the logic being that due to the exact distance on either side the temp on the rights pretty much going to be the same if not the same as that on the left so therfore no indication on the right hand side . . . .

however I think the answer celtic gave is pretty accurate , once the value drops < 1100 kg indication goes off

:ok:

K.Whyjelly
5th Feb 2008, 21:11
Tanks (!!) for the info guys

bvcu
7th Feb 2008, 11:34
think you'll find that the IDG cooling is on A340-300 only not 332 and 345/6. Have to check notes to be sure as its a few years since i did the course . 332 has basically the same fuel system as 343 which may account for temps on both inners . Dont know about 333 as not rated on that .

celtic mech
8th Feb 2008, 21:33
"think you'll find that the IDG cooling is on A340-300 only not 332 and 345/6. Have to check notes to be sure as its a few years since i did the course . 332 has basically the same fuel system as 343 which may account for temps on both inners . Dont know about 333 as not rated on that ."

Thats negative....the IDG cooling on the A332 and A333 is both Fuel cooling and Air Cooling. The Fuel is Taken from the HMU to the fuel/oil cooler. Depending on the situation and requested settings, the fuel may not be sufficient to cool the IDG oil. In this case there is a IDG Air cooling valvel...located approx 3 o clock position on the engine. This suplements the Fuel cooling in situations where it cannot cope alone.
Engine wise for the CF6 powered A330's, the A330-200 and A330-300 are nearly exactly the same. Only main differences are the Fwd Mounts. The -200 has a higher thrust requirement, thus the fwd mount must cope with this. Other difference is, the thrust setting on the Engine. Changed via the Rating plug on ECU. The Engines are physically the same engines...i.e. CF6 series. Now someone elses turn to give the story on the P&W and RR engines. Dunno about these yet as havent done the Course on them yet...

bvcu
9th Feb 2008, 05:10
celtic you missed the point , the A340-300 has an IDG cooling system plumbed into the fuel tanks which is effectively used to keep tank fuel temps in limits for the very long flights, dont know of another type with this. As you described is the norm for majority of types which is warming fuel as it is supplied to the engine .

moch330
6th Mar 2008, 07:01
Hi bvcu and celtic,

I just checked, on A332 also IDGs are cooled using fuel.