PDA

View Full Version : Michael O' Leary wants a recession - BBC

Wee Weasley Welshman
4th Feb 2008, 06:55
MOL is on BBC One Breakfast show right now. He says what we need in Europe "is a year or two of recession" which he says Ryanair expects to see. Says the idiots in the Fed "panicked" theselves into interest rate cuts and says he doesn't think the BoE or the ECB should cut rates.

He also calls government officials "bloody idiots" in relation to security rules.

Ryanairs profits are down 27% in line with their guidance. He also managed 4 truly beautiful plugs for Ryanair during the interview.

You can hate him but you can love him..

A and C
4th Feb 2008, 07:53
This man,s business plan is all about driving down the cost of doing busness to Ryanair.What he runs is a LOW SERVICE airline and so can run this at a lower cost.

The problem is that most of the public have yet to catch on to this and blissfully expect to have some sort of service when things go wrong (delays, weather etc). Most of the public do just fine as the aircraft come and go and they get what they have paid for, the problems start when people are left in an airport terminal for hours on end without any help from the airline that has stranded them, some to eventualy be told that they can be put on a plane in two or three days time!

This lack of service comes as a big shock to most passengers and is slowly driving the mose astute back to the other airlines, eventualy Ryanair will be left flying the dreggs wha have little or no disposable income and cannot affort to buy the overpriced cabin servises that are the real money maker for Ryanair.

One wonders if Mol will be astute enough to change his business plan at the critical moment to re-capture the higher quality passengers.

On the UK goverment security issue I agree with him 150%.

Fly380
4th Feb 2008, 07:53
Lipstick being treated like a weapon of mass destruction.:} How refreshing to hear someone speaking the truth. Doesn't everyone else think there is going to be a recession? I know not everyone's favourite person but he speaks his mind and says it like it is unlike our mealy mouthed UK government.:ok:

the grim repa
4th Feb 2008, 08:01
he is still a ********!!!

atcomarkingtime
4th Feb 2008, 08:04
But for us aviation staff who have to be searched ( and have our cars searched) daily to get to work...that was classic telly!!! Well done Michael!!!!:D

allanmack
4th Feb 2008, 08:09
This lack of service comes as a big shock to most passengers and is slowly driving the mose astute back to the other airlines, eventualy Ryanair will be left flying the dreggs wha have little or no disposable income and cannot affort to buy the overpriced cabin servises that are the real money maker for Ryanair

Many thanks for considering me to be one of the 'dreggs'. Self made businessman, considerable amount of disposable income and a very satisfied customer of FR. 51 return flights, no cancellations and only three sectors late of which the longest was one hour. Most expensive flight was £105 return with the average being in the £40 return region. I also fly BMI, Baby, BA, FlyBe and Easyjet and in terms of cc service they are all comparable so please don't exaggerate when you claim that "the lack of service comes as a big shock to most passengers" because it doesn't. By the way, I would suggest that FlyBe have the most overpriced cabin services.

anotherthing
4th Feb 2008, 08:19
A and C

Ryanair will be left flying the dreggs wha have little or no disposable income...

What a pompous, arrogant statement. I assume from your tone that these dreggs of society are not welcome on your aircraft anyway? Thank God for LOCos then... surely you should be supporting them if they keep the riff raff off your flights!

I like allanmack, have a vary large disposable income, and do a very highly responsible job (instructing you when to climb, turn, descend etc)... I would not hesitate to use RYR if it suited - sometimes it does, other times it doesn't.

BA are regularly behind schedule at some airports, as I am sure some other 'quality' carriers are. On Internal UK flights, there is no real difference between either the quality of the cabin crew, nor the services offered.

Only an idiot with more money than sense would decide to spend more on a flight based on a supposed good name, rather than what's actually on offer!

wigglylines
4th Feb 2008, 08:40
I have flown with Ryanair and the service was what I paid for. Not expensive but it got me there.
However, on 21st Feb2007, Ryanair cancelled 3 flights from KRK (Krakow-Balice) leaving 500+ passengers with the option of 2 days later from Wroclaw or 5 days later from KRK or go your own way! No offer of help whatsoever. Find your own hotel, transport, meals etc.
The reason cited was deer in the airport perimeter two days earlier, which the airport authorities reported as having been cleared away. LOT, Lufthansa, Easyjet, Sterling and CentralWings all flew normal schedules that day. Airport authorities reported that Ryanair had changed flights to Rzescow instead.
It seems to me that Ryanair are a little short on resources and have to have a regular cancellation to keep going. One of the reasons why Ryanair keep operable is that passengers do not know or are ignorant of the provisions of European Directive 261.2004 and MOL knows this!
Customer Service.....appalling!
Question...how do airport authorities inform airlines of trouble at their airport and can anyone throw light on the situation above?

bealine
4th Feb 2008, 11:48
I started out despising MOL and everything Ryanair and the Lo-Co's stand for!

However, he does talk sense some of the time and between them, Stelios and Michael have enabled many people to travel who wouldn't otherwise have been able to afford it!

.......and has for his rants about governments' interference with security - the man is absolutely spot on!

I mean, the latest thing from our wonderful blimps at the DFT are that we have to take a "Security Course" before we get our airport passes reissued! People who have worked in aviation since the 1970's hijackings can teach the bloody DFT a thing or two!

Teaching Grandma to suck eggs indeed!

Sobelena
4th Feb 2008, 13:00
I tend to agree with A & C. The comment about the dreggs might be a generalisation which will offend those who are clearly not dreggs - but unable to read between the lines. On the whole what he says is quite fair.

Final 3 Greens
4th Feb 2008, 15:39
In the spirit of "Have I Got News for You", complete the following statement

"Michael O'Leary wants _______________"

Right Way Up
4th Feb 2008, 16:07
.......to be loved.

TSR2
4th Feb 2008, 19:31
......... to walk on water

13Alpha
4th Feb 2008, 19:54
...to fly to Paris but has to take a bus the last 80 km.

10secondsurvey
4th Feb 2008, 21:02
Uniquely in the world of global business, the massive drop in profits is totally, totally, completely, utterly, honestly not the fault of the man in charge. Aparently.

Yeah, right.

Nice try Michael.

bealine
6th Feb 2008, 08:55
Much as I am not an admirer of the main man at Liar-Air, I have to say that in aviation there are too many variables with which we have to deal which can hamper profitability! The three key areas at the moment are:

1. The Governments stand on security (and, in particular, the pen-pushing idiots at the DFT)

2. ATC and their staff shortages

3. The BAA and their neglect of all things aviation whilst they pander to the retailers every whim!

The Top Man at any airline, world-class or not, cannot be held accountable for those three areas......even if Bob Ayling did unfairly lose his job for similar reasons a few years ago!

WHBM
6th Feb 2008, 09:00
The Top Man at any airline, world-class or not, cannot be held accountable for those three areas
However it would be good to hear Willie Walsh et al standing up in public against these nonsenses and self-interest groups. Instead we never hear a word from him against these ludicrously managed organisations (which BA, by the way, is certainly not). But why not ?

bealine
6th Feb 2008, 11:33
However it would be good to hear Willie Walsh et al standing up in public against these nonsenses

In the early days, when he first took over the position of CEO, Willie Walsh did indeed speak out against all the cr4p with which we have to deal!

So did Martin Broughton, our Chairman, who is still trying to see what can be done to smooth the way through our airports for regular travellers! It is indeed laughable that internationally known company chairmen and directors (such as Martin Broughton) have to join the same security queues and be subjected to sometimes invasive searches every time they fly! After all, their credentials are listed in Company Directories right around the globe.

Oh, sorry, that would encourage them to suffer from DYKWIA syndrome, wouldn't it? :eek:

PAXboy
6th Feb 2008, 11:45
bealinewe have to take a "Security Course" before we get our airport passes reissued!Of course you must!!! Don't you realise just how much they need to prove that they have done something? Really, bealine, I almost think that you have no respect for the pen pushers that have never worked seven days straight at EGLL in bad weather over Christmas. And don't you forget, young man, that hijackings in the 1970s were completely different blah-di-blah :}

10secondsurvey
8th Feb 2008, 20:31
Bealine,

I understand you point regarding 'uncontrollable' variables in aviation, but it is the same in all industries, new tax laws new government imposed regulations, employment regulations. I don't think aviation is unique, I mean of course BAA and the dft seem to do their utmost to thwart successful airlines, but similar things happen in other industries. So if the share price falls, surely the senior management must shoulder responsibility.