PDA

View Full Version : F-15 Latest crash, bad luck or somthing more exspensive?

Flyingblind
3rd Feb 2008, 11:08
Only early days yet and far too early to tell what, why etc, will watch with interest though.

Well done to the rescue crews and especially for the the pilot for surviving the situation and I'm sure he will not forget having a most memorable weekend with the Guard.

PS. is the '15 fitted with MB or Boeing bang seats? only ask as MB give out ties if successfully in banging out, anybody know if Boeing do same?

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080201/BREAKING01/80201002

LowObservable
3rd Feb 2008, 12:52
First Douglas, then McDonnell Douglas, then Boeing and (1999) Goodrich. (Not sure how it worked, but I managed to answer the question below before it was answered.)

Last F-15Ds to USAF were 1988, I think.

WolvoWill
3rd Feb 2008, 12:54
F-15 has the ACES 2 seat, not an MB offering - earlier Eagles had a different seat (Escapac?) but all the ones still flying will have the later seat. I have no idea who makes the ACES family of seats though!

:)

Brian Abraham
4th Feb 2008, 01:32
The initial ACES II production contract was awarded to McDonnell-Douglas Corp. (MDC) in November 1976. The contract was a 'Leader/Follower' type contract which meant that MDC would be the Leader and would train the Follower to build the seat as well. Weber Aircraft Co. (WAC) was selected and trained as the follower. Thereafter, each additional contract from 1982-1990 was bid upon by both MCD and WAC, with the competition helping keep the unit cost low. In 1990, with fewer seats to be ordered, the entire production was awarded to McDonnell-Douglas Corp. Soon thereafter Weber Aircraft Co. ceased manufacturing ejection seats and concentrated on the manufacture of crew seats.

Production of the seats has totaled about 8000 as of May 1997, with some 416 non-combat and 10 combat ejections worldwide. The official USAF success rate is 94.4% in envelope, and 89.9% including out of envelope ejections. MCD manufactured some 6500 and WAC the remaining 1500.