PDA

View Full Version : Bush pilot in Africa or instructor in UK

welliewanger
2nd Feb 2008, 20:42
Howdy all!
I wonder if you guys can help me decide what what to do next in my aviation career.

I've recently got the frozen ATPL and have the option of working in London as an instructor for a very well respected school with potential for progression onto multi engine and instrument instruction. Or I can go to central Africa and work as a charter / air taxi / instructor.

Which route do you guys think will look best on a CV to get me into big planes (not just airlines, but multi engine turbine work)

The major problem I can see with Africa is that I'll be the only pilot there, so there's no chief pilot to provide a checkable history. But on the plus side, there's plenty of "real flying". I really like the idea of working in Africa, but don't want to waste the money I've spent on training if it means I won't be able to progress my career afterwards.

TIA

AQIS Boigu
2nd Feb 2008, 21:31
Mate,

I think it's a bloody no-brainer...go bush rather than enjoying the cozy life as an instructor in protected London... bush flying will give you the best memories and stories to tell :ok:... I did it myself for three years and now bound for HKG...do you really wanna go from instructing into an airline without having done the real thing???

AB

joehunt
3rd Feb 2008, 04:02
In the robotic world of the airlines, if that is your goal I would have to say go the instructing route.

However, if you want to get hands on experience and learn to fly an aircraft properly, then go bush flying. As for standards, maintain you own. Very important that. Tailwheel time, even better as it teaches one to use ones feet, near the ground.

I source pilots to fly jet powered aircraft from time to time and I would take the bush experienced person every time.

cavortingcheetah
3rd Feb 2008, 04:38
:hmm:
I think that joehunt makes a very good point or two, if I may be so bold.
You don't state your age, which does have something to do with it all because youth means flexibility.
As one who has been fortunate enough to experience, in a manner of speaking, both routes, I'd say go for the bush every time. You will enjoy it and you really fly which is perhaps more than so many of the computer operators one finds in the cockpit today have ever done. There is always South Africa too which, for all its sins is a great deal more congenial a place to live and fly than England and its grey monotony.
But be warned!
Africa is a dangerous place for the white man. Once you experience the dark continent you may never wish to leave it. There is something about the place which bubbles the blood. Perhaps you should read some of Rider Haggard's novels.
Good luck in your ventures and if you do go down south, make sure you pick up some of the local language as fast as you can. It'll serve you in very good stead.
Hamba Gashle!
(As they say in Zulu.)

groundfloor
3rd Feb 2008, 08:41
"Go drink your lunch, fly through trees and go the lavotry"...If you are a young pilot get into the real world and FLY!!! Then go and instruct etc. You need the experience of making tough calls etc and it shows every time later on in your career, even in the "robotic airline environment". Good advice on the other posts as well...Enjoy and fly safe!:)

joehunt
3rd Feb 2008, 08:52
"You need the experience of making tough calls etc..."

Too true and thanks for pointing that out also.

helldog
3rd Feb 2008, 09:03
No chief pilot? If your the only one there guess who the chief pilot is:ok: That looks good on a cv.

chuks
3rd Feb 2008, 10:13
Africa will get into your blood, just like malaria. If you do it, how do you plan to give it up for the sanitised world of airline flying?

If you really want to be an airline pilot perhaps you would be better off working as an instructor in the U.K. If you want to have aviation adventures then go for the job in Africa. The first would make it much more likely to have that airline job as a follow-on, in my mind.

I went for the second and passed on at least one shot at an airline job back in the States. It just seemed so bland compared to working in Africa. Don't ask me to explain this; I don't understand it myself.

welliewanger
3rd Feb 2008, 14:12
Thanks for your replies. It seems that if I go to Africa, I'll probably end up staying there. What is the pay like and what about potential for progressing from this job (single engine piston) into bigger planes?

Insane
4th Feb 2008, 06:47
BUSH PILOT FOR SURE.......NO QUESTION ABOUT IT!!!

Hard work but great fun and EXCELLENT flying!! Not for the faint hearted!!!:ok::ok::ok:

cpt hamna sheeda
6th Feb 2008, 20:51
Go to the bush, the only thing in aviation you will never forgett.

Woof etc
9th Feb 2008, 00:57
The instruction will definitely give you more airline applicable skills. Bush will probably be more fun.

Why do one if you can do both - thats what I did!

joehunt
9th Feb 2008, 03:34
suitcaseman

These (http://www.diariodelviajero.com/2008/01/18-aterrizaje-abortado-de-un-avion-de-iberia-en-bilbao) skills?