PDA

View Full Version : smaller aviation schools

matheson
2nd Feb 2008, 16:06
Well firstly, I'm what you would call a wannabe pilot, I'm 17, still in highschool and wanting to get started flying now, while still in highschool. I have looked through most of the guides, read the stickies and used the search feature, however I can't find what I'm looking for, just scattered information that's way too convoluted to process, so I would appreciate if someone just answered some basic questions and concerns and then I can close and delete the thread.

My first concern was one created by coming to this forum in the first place, there's all this talk and advertisements about aviation schools like conair that offer programmes at ridiculous prices I could never afford (like 130 thousand dollars without a university degree). And so I was wondering how important the flight school is when it comes to future employment opportunities. The school I've been looking at is Ottawa Aviation Services, it offeres basically every type licence and endorsements/ratings, but none of the " One day trip to the USA to obtain FAA Commercial Pilot License Multi Engine Instrument Rating." or "trip to Europe for the JAA ATTpl exams" type of thing. Can those things not be done right here in Ontario?

Basically if I go to a local smaller aviation school for about 40,000 dollars and get a university degree right here in Ottawa, is that still a realistic path towards becoming an airline pilot in the future?

I'm pretty much just intimidated by all these fancy schools that make me feel like if I go through a local, smaller school I won't get far with my career.

I also have a question about logging hours, I get how it's done through a school, but how would you go about logging hours on your own (like say, in south america my uncle owns a small plane he'd let me fly on vacations). Do you just say you did however hours you claim to have done and it counts? I don't really get it, since that can't be right.

Again, I apoligize for asking crap that's probably been asked a million times.

Lee Frost
3rd Feb 2008, 00:55
Dear Mathoson,

With no replies, I felt obliged to!

Crank a scathing look at the big places, and I would suggest you look towards building your flying training upon firm foundations with people you trust.

I did exactly that and got my first job flying B757 with carefully chosen steps all the way towards qualification.

If it would help you PM, and I will give you email address / phone number and can discuss further.

You may also find the Canadian forum a better place to seek out some general guidance.

Take care,

LF

BelArgUSA
3rd Feb 2008, 07:39
Hola Matheson -
xxx
A nice little school, "aeroclub style" near Ottawa is all you need (and I would recommend it over "big time" Air Academies and Flight Colleges with fancy names like "Future Airbus A-380 Captain Training Center"). The fancier the name, the more the $$$ you will pay.
xxx
Besides, as you plan to do your college (4 years), you better do both at the same time. You do not need a degree in aviation. Do it in education, or in psychology, it does not matter. Whatever you like best.
xxx
A small school will be more affordable, especially at a small uncontrolled fˇeld, where you can takeoff as soon as the engine is warmed-up. You do not need to wait for your turn in heavy traffic and control tower departure clearances.
xxx
You are seeking a pilot license and the pilot license you will get, call it Private Pilot first, and later Commercial Pilot, with Instrument Rating that you obtain in a small local school is exactly the same license that you will pay double to get at a fancy and expensive pilot school. At my airline, when we hire a pilot, we ask for licence and flight time or experience, not "which flight school" where training was completed. We dont care is your hours were in an old C-150, or a brand new and expensiive C-172.
xxx
Go to a local flight school, try to select a flight instructor with years of experience, and this in the least expensive airplane they offer for training. You are 17 now, target yourself to reach your goal, with your degree, and start looking for airline jobs around age 21 or 22...
xxx
I know what I am talking about, my friend. My son did a good part of his training the way I described it to you, and he is 18 now, with a CPL/IR and has got a co-pilot job in a Citation, part time. He will go to the university for the next 4 years.
xxx
Let these guys who want to spend $100,000+ in training spend their money. You should instead get your licence, build a little time, apply with Air Canada or Air Transat, and have them hire you and train you to fly a Boeing or Airbus at their expense, not yours.
xxx
Flying with your uncle in So. America...?
Yes, after you have your PPL, you can log all that time as PIC, even if your uncle rides along with you. Just declare him as a passenger. I have done that a lot with my son... (he flies better than I do) -
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

matheson
4th Feb 2008, 03:19
Thanks a loot man, that really makes me feel a lot better, and that's what I was planning to do all along, I was just never sure about it. And yeah for sure I'm gunna be doing my university at the same time, I'm gonna have to work a hell of a lot to come up with the money, but hopefully it will be worth it in the end. I'm going to try to start getting some hours and ground school maybe sometime this month.