PDA

View Full Version : New Air

dash8pilotCanada
2nd Feb 2008, 16:02
Hey anyone have info on a company that was suppose to start up this year with the name NEW AIR, suppose to fly 3 MD82s??

CaptW5
2nd Feb 2008, 18:16
http://www.naatgroup.com/
nothing there though!

Old news:

Globe and Mail
October 22, 2007
BRENT JANG

Former WestJet bosses hatch NewAir

Four former WestJet Airlines Ltd. executives, led by co-founder Tim Morgan, are drawing up plans to launch a new Canadian carrier.

The fledgling venture's first round of private financing has been oversubscribed, and the second phase is now under way, industry sources say.

Using the name NewAir & Tours, the business model is still being fleshed out, but the goal is to fly travellers in smaller cities to larger centres and U.S. holiday destinations.

NewAir's 55-page proposal is modelled after Allegiant Travel Co., a Las Vegas-based firm that runs a vacation division and low-cost airline with a fleet of 32 McDonnell Douglas MD-80 planes flying scheduled and charter service.

The four NewAir organizers have a proven track record at WestJet, and hope to repeat the tale of success from humble beginnings. WestJet will be sensitive to the upstart's potential impact, even though NewAir wants to emphasize charters and avoid direct attacks on scheduled service, an industry insider said.

Calgary-based NewAir believes it will carve a niche by pursuing routes either neglected or underserved by WestJet and Air Canada.

Mr. Morgan, former WestJet executive vice-president of operations, is spearheading the plan with William Lamberton, former vice-president of marketing. They are being supported by Gareth Davies, former vice-president of technical services, and Alan Mann, a former WestJet accounting executive.

Mr. Morgan and Mr. Lamberton declined to comment on their NewAir proposal. Mr. Davies and Mr. Mann couldn't be reached for comment.

“They're trying to fly under the radar and avoid head-to-head competition against WestJet and Air Canada,” one industry insider said.

Calgary-based WestJet, launched in 1996 with just three planes serving five cities, has grown to a fleet of 68 Boeing 737s in a network of more than 40 destinations.

Sources say NewAir's offerings could include charter flights with a seasonal schedule. For instance, there may be weekly non-stop service from Fort McMurray, Alta., to Vancouver for part of the summer, and that could switch to Fort McMurray to Reno, Nev., in the winter. Consumers could choose to bundle flights with hotel rooms and, in some cases, tour packages.

Others have tried and failed to make a go of it this decade in battling WestJet and Air Canada: Canada 3000 and Roots Air shut down in 2001, Jetsgo Corp. closed operations in 2005, CanJet Airlines halted scheduled flights in 2006 and Harmony Airways wound down earlier this year.

Mr. Morgan, who resigned from WestJet in 2005, co-founded the carrier with Clive Beddoe, Donald Bell and Mark Hill. Mr. Beddoe, WestJet's executive chairman, became the lone co-founder left at the airline after Mr. Bell departed this past July as executive vice-president of corporate culture. Mr. Hill resigned in 2004 as vice-president of strategic planning.

Planes under consideration by NewAir include Boeing 737s (700 and 800 series) and McDonnell Douglas MD-80s, sources say. Depending on how the concept unfolds, service could start in the spring of 2008. But NewAir is seeking to be nimble and flexible, so the launch could be late next year, if more time is needed to nail down tour packages. Seed money for the venture could vary from $70-million to $100-million, all from private placements with investors.

“It's premature to say how much money needs to be raised. No destinations, no planes and no departure points have been determined yet,” said an aviation official familiar with NewAir. “The business model is fluid and moving. It's in a state of flux.”

Consumers in smaller centres across Canada complain that they have to increasingly travel to major airport hubs on connecting flights before getting to their final destination. So, NewAir has an opportunity to meet pent-up demand for non-stop leisure charter service from point to point, another official said.

Mr. Lamberton already runs Classic Canadian Tours, packaging December trips for consumers in markets such as Brandon, Man., Kamloops, B.C., and Terrace, B.C., who want to visit friends and family in Calgary and Edmonton. Classic Canadian also flies from Calgary and Edmonton to Klondike escapes in Whitehorse and has trips to see polar bears in Churchill, Man.

While NewAir would likely initially focus on Western Canada, the venture could easily expand into Central Canada.

Porter Airlines Inc., which celebrates its first anniversary tomorrow, currently flies from its base at Toronto's island airport to Montreal, Ottawa and Halifax. Porter hopes to expand within four years to smaller Ontario sites such as Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury – two cities that would also fit NewAir's target market.

Willie Everlearn
5th Feb 2008, 13:22
Where do New Air intend to get pilots for that many aircraft? :confused:
By shaking the nearest tree???
:ugh:

CaptW5
5th Feb 2008, 22:38
I read somewhere that they intend to start with 3 (three) a/c, so they shouldn't have any problems getting pilots.
You are probably misreading the line that they are based on the model of Allegiant Airlines, which was operating 32 a/c at the time of the article.

Add:
Today in the FP:
http://www.financialpost.com/magazine/story.html?id=269856

Rosbif
7th Feb 2008, 22:51
There are loads of pilots ot there Willie! If they did a "buy your own rating" thing like they do in Europe, they would have more 3000 Hr fo's than they could ever use. Offer 100K per year and a type rating and decent schedule, and there are hundreds of jet Captains all over Canada who would be all over it. What pilot shortage?

Willie Everlearn
8th Feb 2008, 13:43
Rosbif, 3 or so aircraft would make more sense in a country like Canada. (see Can Jet or Sun Wing for comparison)
I guess my thought on the pilot shortage issue is along the line that there are only so many 3,000 hr pilots out there who aren't in pretty good jet jobs and with AC, ACJ, WJ, CJ and others, hiring, it must make for slim pickings.
Now if it WERE 32 aircraft, holey moley! I don't think the numbers are out there, especially if the interview process culs the applicant pool.
I don't believe we have the 'experience' numbers to meet that kind of demand, but you never know.
As an aside, American Airlines recently retired 143 senior pilots in one day.
These are great times to be an ATPL and available. The buffet out there is tantalizing.

Cheers, :ok:
Willie

Rosbif
10th Feb 2008, 23:25
Willie, while I agree with you for the most part, I think that any operator in Canada who bites the bullet and offers a competitive salary, a realistically quick upgrade for FO's with 3000Hrs+, a good salary (at least 100K+) for Captains and a good, stable schedule, can have his pick of a large number of Canadian pilots. While many of these people are currently employed, a lot would be happy to jump ship. Another untapped source is those pilots who have great experience but no PIC on the type that they fly. Nearly every fast upgrade or DEC job requires 500 PIC on type. Of course there is a shortage of those people. Every operator seems to want current Captains with 500 PIC on type. Such people would almost certainly have to be poached from their competitors. As Dr. Phil once said "if they'll do it with you, they'll do it to you". Operators should be careful what they wish for.

avmed12
12th Aug 2008, 03:34
I hear that NewAir is looking for people… their website now has a recruiting section (https://www.naatgroup.com/admin/jobProfileForm/addjobProfile.php)... Also, heard something about 737’s anyone else have any updates?

remarkablebean
5th Sep 2008, 17:41
http://www.newairandtours.ca

NewAir has registered the name Canadiana for possible future use
MD-82s now in the garbage can - 737NGsPlace on what has to be a temporary website to apply for flightdeck and cabin.

Can't find the amount raised so far, but didn't look very hard I must admit.

Seems early days - anyone else gotten some info on the new Morgan outfit ?

CaptW5
6th Sep 2008, 20:44
From a different Canadian forum (AEF):

Aircraft Information

Mark: C-GOEJ
Common Name: Boeing Model Name: 737-7BD
Serial No: 33920
Basis for Eligibility for Registration: Type Certificate - CAR Standard 507.02 (1), 507.03 (3) - A16WE
Category: Aeroplane Max take-off weight: 60327.79 kgs
Engine: 2, Turbo Fan
24-bit address: 110000000110101000010010
Regional Office: Winnipeg Year Imported: 2008
Base of Operations: CANADA , Alberta, Calgary

Manufacturer Information

Manufacturer: BOEING
Country of manufacture: U.S.A. Year of Manufacture: 2005

Registration Information

Type of Registration: Commercial
Owner Registered Since: 2008-09-03
Latest Certificate of Registration Issued: 2008-09-03

Last Registered Owner Information

Name: 1263343 Alberta Inc.
Address: 770 McTavish RD. N.E.
City: Calgary Province/State: Alberta
Postal Code: T2E 7G6 Country: CANADA
Region: Prairie and Northern
Mail Recipient: Yes

I wonder if N348AT current in Kelowna is also for Newair or something entirely unrelated. [unquote]

And:
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45669

Willie Everlearn
6th Sep 2008, 22:54
If this industry weren`t so f***ed up, I`d be much less inclined to sound so negative in some of my posts but this is certainly good news. :eek:
I still defer to my previous comment about finding `suitably`qualified pilots. (however `suitably`is defined these days) :confused:

Earlier this week, WJ posted more impressive numbers, moving them along in the right direction. :ok::ok::ok:
Forecasts of oil at $80 a barrel is sure to revive the financial hopes of some others. I sure hope it improves the value of my portfolio. :D

Maybe the Zoomers will find a seat before the music stops.

remarkablebean
8th Sep 2008, 15:45
Here's hoping it goes sub $100.

I know I might have posted this up above - but TSC is out looking for a YYZ base - believe it or not, you can apply via workopolis.

Here's the posting:

http://www.workopolis.com/View/Theme/WhiteLabel/images/Company/8784_20040604.gif
AIR TRANSAT
Pilot - First Officer (08-071)

Job Type: Full Time
Job Category: Aerospace, Transportation
Industry: Transportation
Relevant Work Experience:
Number Of Positions:
Salary:
Company Url: http://www.airtransat.com (http://www.airtransat.com/)
Posted Aug 7, 2008

Title: Pilot - First Officer (08-071) Job Number: 08-071 Sector: Flight Operations Date of posting: 08/07/2008 Location: Toronto (Ontario) Position type: Permanent - Full time Job description:
Air Transat specializes in both scheduled and charter flights from Canada to vacation destinations. In the winter months, the majority of flights are between Canada and the Caribbean/USA and in the summer between Canada and many destinations in European countries. Year-round schedule services operate between Europe and Canada. The Air Transat fleet of 17 aircraft serves over 90 destinations in 25 countries.

Functions

The First Officer will have to perform the specific responsibilities relating to operating the aircraft to which he is assigned (A310 or A330).

Responsibilities

Take part in planning and preparing flights, as required by the Captain, and carry out all other responsibilities described in the Company's Operating Manual.
Requirements:
- A Canadian airline pilot's licence or foreign licence validation
- 4,000 hours of flying time
- Canadian citizen or in the process of obtaining landed immigrant status in Canada
- In-depth knowledge of Canadian Aviation Regulations and A.I.P. Canada
- Updated logbook
- Bilingual (French and English)
- Ready to accept an assignment at our base in Toronto, with variable work schedules
- No restrictions for travelling to the U.S. or other countries served by Air Transat
- Minimum probation period: one year

Posting ends: Friday, September 19th 2008

Air Transat offers a full range of employee benefits, including group insurance, group RRSP and travel benefits. To apply for this vacancy, please send your résumé, indicating reference no. 08-071 to the following email address: [email protected], by fax (514) 906-5520 or by internal mail to Human Resources, Pilot Recruitment, Air Transat, 5959 Côte-Vertu West, Montreal, QC H4S 2E6

If there's any suitably qualified out there reading this, particularly those from Z4 who need a slot, PM me, and I might be able to give some pointers.

Although TSC does have some drivers without real fluent French (I can think of two on the A310), it's needed these days...