PDA

View Full Version : Career break thingy

StopStart
1st Feb 2008, 13:52
Ordinarily I'd ask this at work but it's friday afternoon so obviously they're all long gone so......

What are the regs regarding these "career break/sabbatical" things? Does anyone know if I, as an aircrew PA Flt Lt, am eligible for one?

Ta :)

EESDL
1st Feb 2008, 13:55
PA Aircrew?
thought you were already on one...........
:ok:
Hope all is well in sunny Wilts.

6Z3
1st Feb 2008, 14:20
..it's friday afternoon so obviously they're all long gone..

Mmm, thought it was only us RN shirkers who leg it on a friday afternoon.:ok:

Heywood Djablowme
1st Feb 2008, 14:38
Sabbatical? Take your pick; Staneval or TTF.;)

airborne_artist
1st Feb 2008, 14:48
Planning on entering this reality TV prog (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PeopleInDefence/MilitaryChefsWantedToRunTheirOwnRestaurant.htm), are we? Raymond wants more guys/gals from the military he says....:ok:

Al R
1st Feb 2008, 15:18
That MoD PR weiner must have had a conversation with the RLC et al, and established that the military has obviously got far too many decent cooks cluttering up the place. I'm sure they're all chuffed that the cream of the catering crop is actively being pursuaded to leave.. by the MoD.

StopStart
1st Feb 2008, 15:26
Excellent, all the usual suspects!

EESDL - I thought, nay hoped, you were dead! Marvellous :D All is indeed well, you've not missed much - Akrotiri misses you.

Heywood - I've passed on your comments. Axes being sharpened as we speak. For more info on how you can help Heywood, please see here (http://www.gingerkids.org)

a_a - hadn't seen that...was thinking more along the lines of dangerous mercenary type flying and being paid with suitcases full of krugerrands. Failing that, reality cooking tv might be a good fall back option.

Al R - cheer up, it's friday and the pub opens in 30 mins.

:ok:

StopStart
10th Jul 2008, 05:03
Never did get answer to this....

So then, sabatticals - what's the score? Anyone had one or should i just PVR and then rejoin again a year later? :hmm:

Lara crofts pants
10th Jul 2008, 07:27
Sounds like a plan boyo.
I did just that. Just forgot to come back.

StopStart
10th Jul 2008, 07:32
I'd miss Ridgecrest too much.....

Surely you're all about to be sacked anyway? You'll all be back......:yuk:

Lara crofts pants
10th Jul 2008, 07:38
Good point but I hope you're wrong!
In the event of such a catastrophe I too have my beady eyes trained on some "fun" well paid little jobs here and there.

ZH875
10th Jul 2008, 07:54
I'd miss Ridgecrest too much.....

No. Not one bit.

StopStart
10th Jul 2008, 08:31
LCP - ditto :ok:

See you there I think - suitcases full of krugerrands etc etc.

:)

'875 - you don't mean that......

MaroonMan4
10th Jul 2008, 22:32
Stop Start,

I believe that the sabbatical is no longer an option in modern day career management. However, you could just leave - put your pension into a long term savings account - and then apply to rejoin. Depending on whether there was a shortage in your trade then you could start negotiation.

It depends on what you have left to do in life, how big that pull is and how much personal risk you are willing to accept (i.e. your branch/trade may be chockers when you elect to return).

I know of several people that have left the forces - experienced aspects of life that the military would never let them achieve and then return with a contented happy smile having ticked off a personal/family life experience. One was in the 90's when military pilots were 2 a penny and he had to drop a rank and 2 years seniority and the other last year that actually lost nothing except the days out of uniform seniority. But both had considerable experience and adquals to their name.

Not quite the answer you were looking for - but have a chat to your desky.

NP20
11th Jul 2008, 03:27
StopStart,

Currently on a 3 year career break, and it was remarkably easy to apply for - then again that was probably due to the manning levels in my trade (I know of a couple of blunty officers also on career breaks, and the rules apply to both airmen and officers). Anyway, JSP 760 Leaflet 18 entitled 'Career Breaks' outlines the rules and regs and states:

'...CBs are granted at the absolute discretion of the Service; they are not a right and will only be permitted where manning margins allow and where they do not compromise operational capability'

(BTW, the underlining is taken from the leaflet, not added by me for effect)

The application form (for the RAF) is AP3392 Vol 2 Leaflet 1702 Annex A, and as suggested by others the first port of call will be your Desk Officer.

Not sure if you are planning on working during your career break, but the regs state that you are not allowed to work in certain areas, such as fireman, policeman, security guard/bouncer (none of which I suspect apply to you); however, one that may is for a 'defence or security related firm'.

Good luck.

NP20

Good Mickey
11th Jul 2008, 04:32
You thinking of opening up a 'Tokyo House' in Calne?

GM

StopStart
11th Jul 2008, 07:20
Thanks for the replies folks. I'm considering a few things I'd like to do ranging from defence-related work for a few months to spending 6 months walking from the Mexican/US border to Canada :uhoh:

I'm slightly torn as I have no real intention of leaving the RAF before my 55 point but would like to do some other stuff before I'm (too) old and gray(er). I'm a PAS Flt Lt pilot and whilst there aren't many of us around at the moment I reckon a recession would see less and less people leaving for the civvie world, making me less of a "commoditity".

Will see what the Oberdeskenfuhrer has to say about it - I shan't hold my breath tho :hmm:

GM - Bath actually. Reckon it would make a mint. You in? :p