PDA

View Full Version : ATPL theory study before PPL

mattia_70
31st Jan 2008, 19:27
Hi
I will get my PPL in about four months (I hope, weather in UK doesn't help).
I was wondering if there is a way to start studying for modular ATPL before having the PPL licence.
I mean: is it mandatory to have the PPL licence to enroll in a long distance course like the one at Bristol Ground School, or can I enroll before having the PPL?
This is because I would like to start studying for the ATPL as soon as possible.

The other way is to buy the books in some other way (second hand?).

Any suggestion?

Thanks

coodem
31st Jan 2008, 20:04
There is nothing stopping you making a head start in the studying. Not sure if you can actually formally enrol in a course, but there is no real need

Whirlygig
31st Jan 2008, 20:12
No you can't formally enrol until you have your PPL but, by all means make a start on studying (especially when the PPL stuff is still fresh in you mind).

Study manuals can be obtained second hand but make sure they're not too old. If you know of any students who have just completed, they may want to give/sell their manuals to you.

Cheers

Whirls

no sponsor
31st Jan 2008, 20:55
I'd focus on getting the PPL out of the way; I assume you have passed all of your PPL exams.

You'll find the PPL studies are a good grounding for the start of the ATPLs. I often founf myself leafing through the PPL books when doing the ATPLs, since they often were slightly better at explaining complex things.

You'll want to avoid having to purchase the books twice. If you do spend cash on books, try and get ones for the school you'll be going to.

mattia_70
31st Jan 2008, 22:32
Reply to "no sponsor"

I am almost done with PPL exams.
The problem in buying books before enrolling is that we I enroll I'll get another series of books and I really do not think you get a discount if you do not want the books. So I'd pay the books twice!!!

Anyway, thank you all for the info & suggestions

AIR SEYCHELLES 787
1st Feb 2008, 01:25
London Metropolitan Univerity will let you study for your ATPLs without your PPL

petknu
1st Feb 2008, 11:49
How much hard is ATPL theory compared to PPL theory?

Can anyone explain the differences between ATPL and PPL theory, with regards to coverage and depth on thory? E.g. how much longer it takes to study for ATPL subjects and which areas are covered in ATPL, which isn't covered in PPL?

I did a search on pprune, but it doesn allow seach on words shorter that 4 letters (e.g. "PPL").

Whirlygig
1st Feb 2008, 11:51
The book on Fleabay mentioned by paco has now gone but, for £15 that was an absolute bargain!

Even for the full price, that book will have everything you need to be getting started and it's a book you'd probably want to refer to throughout your flying career so not money wasted.

However, I'd recommend you get all your PPL exams out of the way before you think about extra-curricular studying for ATPL.

Cheers

Whirls

PS - no relation to Phil Croucher!!!

Whirlygig
1st Feb 2008, 11:55
In answer to petknu's question, ATPL is just vast!! It is the sheer volume of stuff that makes them harder rather than any complexity of concepts.

For example, meteorology will cover global weather and climatology as well, navigation will cover different map projections and flying whilst taking into account the curvature of the earth, Air Law is more ICAO based etc.

Basically, APTLs come from the premise that you'll be flying something bigger and faster and more complex than a Cessna 152 and you'll be flying longer distances.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Whirls

Bearing 123
1st Feb 2008, 13:23
I'm 99.9% sure that London Met will not accept you without a PPL. That is a basic requirement by the CAA.

AlphaMale
1st Feb 2008, 13:31
Try this item on ebay:

Phil
-----------------------

The book on Fleabay mentioned by paco has now gone but, for £15 that was an absolute bargain!

I picked this book up last year and have been reading a few pages every other night or so before going to sleep. It's a pretty good book that had good reviews, apparently it compressed the 14 subjects into 1 book. I feel this should give my a pretty big head start for when I start my ATPL's with BGS at the end of the summer. :p ... I do skip the Helicopter parts though.

It may have gone but there will be others from that seller.

Leezyjet
1st Feb 2008, 14:06
Not true about London Met. You need a PPL to start the course. There may have been instances where people have passed and are still waiting for the license to come through, but not without any PPL at all !!.

Nothing stopping you signing up to Bristol's Q/b and just making a start on the questions. Alot of subjects you can pretty much learn purely from the QB anyway - like the 2 Comms ones !!.

:)

Xorthis
1st Feb 2008, 14:31
That book is also avaliable from amazon for a similar price, I think this is the newer edition though!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0973225319/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1201879678&sr=1-7

I was recently told about the intergrated student that dropped out too when I went to visit Cabair, apparently he was with them but for one reason or another couldn't continue the intergrated. I was told that he was waiting to hear from the CAA on wether they would allow his 11 passed exams to count to his new ATPL course once he completes his PPL...

petknu
1st Feb 2008, 14:57
The one on Amazon is JAR Private Pilot Studies while the one on ebay is JAR Professional Pilot Studies. I assume that that there is a difference between Professional and Private.

I have seen JAR Professional Pilot Studies for £60 in BW and around £130 in colour - both as new.

mattia_70
6th Feb 2008, 21:35
My doubt in starting to study for ATPL before having the PPL (I am training for that) is this:
let's say that I prepare for the first module of ATPL from Jan to April, in April I get my PPL, enroll at ATPL dist. lerning school and ask straight away to take part in the first brush up course available. Would the school permit that?

Any clue?

Whirlygig
6th Feb 2008, 23:44
I don't see why not but best to call them and ask! I don't know which school you're thinking of using but I had some initial queries with Bristol and spoke to Alex Whittingham; he couldn't have been more helpful.

Don't forget, these guys are there to help you!!!

Cheers

Whirls