PDA

View Full Version : Faa Cpl(h)

timberwolf
31st Jan 2008, 18:08
I was hoping some of the more experienced folks out there could help me with some info.

I am about to embark on the CPLH and am torn between doing the flight training in South Africa and the USA.

I would prefer to to the FAA licence but don't know how this will limit my chances of finding work in Africa (Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania etc...)

In short, what chances does a 200TT FAA CPLH with IR + Turbine have of finding something in Africa?

Tcee747
31st Jan 2008, 18:40
try the US, now hiring with just commercial multi only, no flight time restrictions

timberwolf
31st Jan 2008, 18:56
I wish that were an option. The only way I have of finding work in the US is to get J1.

I have UK and South African passports. :ouch:

Gooneybird
2nd Feb 2008, 07:42
You can use your FAA to find work in Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, Malawi and Tanzania.

For SA you'll need to convert, which means writing the SA exams and doing a flight test.

No guarantees of work with 200H but depending on your financial resources it may be worth a trip around Africa knocking on doors. Personally, with an SA passport I'd do the conversion.

Gooneybird
2nd Feb 2008, 07:50
Didn't notice the (h) part of that. Try companies that offer contract style work for rotary pilots in N. America.

Perhaps Nigeria.

Poke around the rotary wing forum and look for links to offshore work.

Otherwise still convert to SA license if you see the possibility of work there.

Dude1
2nd Feb 2008, 09:23
Timberwolf

Lets expand on this request for information and get a more in depth answer

1. Part 61 ( Aircrew licences) is changing and so is the validation process . ( not so sure FAA will be so easy to convert ) . Timberwolf is a South African ( with british passport ) who has contacts in the industry ( of which I am one ) and while not guarented a job , he can be pushed in the right direction ( those in the industry will relise the value of this ) . If he gets an FAA licence he will have to trawl Africa at his own expense and there is less of a guarentee for work

2. FAA licence is cheaper and academicaly easier . Timberwolf likes the US and has had a rather unpleasant time in SA ( still an option though ) . The 2 reasons at the top is why I think you are leaning towards the FAA route but correct me if I am wrong boet .

So lets ask our panel of experts !!

My opinion is obvious but perhaps I am wrong , I think someone from the US and SA industry could perhaps help Timberwolf to make a better decision

timberwolf
2nd Feb 2008, 10:12
Hey Dude, shot my China!! :ok: Absolutely correct. I have been waiting around 3 weeks for the CAA to get back to me on the conversion process - still no answer. I guess the fact that they are revising the conversion/validation process is the reason for them taking so long to get back to me.

I guess I will need to add a 1yr supply of candles to the cost of the Comm - thanks to Eishkom :ugh:

B Sousa
2nd Feb 2008, 16:21
Either way its going to cost you money. How much depends on how and where you do it. FAA license is still good in a lot of places. I get mine validated in SA and although it is said that will NOW be a one time shot, things have not changed so far. Work that Donkey till he dies.
I did have to do the SA Air Law, what a fun experience and as I said, I thought it so much fun, I did it twice.
If you decide to do your FAA in the states, there are plenty of Schools that can help you, but they also will help you part from your money. I recommend you do a lot or all of the book work on your own. That includes the written exams. You can even do them in SA or the UK. Much cheaper in the states. Free if done at a FSDO. Testing spots can be found on www.faa.gov (http://www.faa.gov)
When it comes to the face to face with an Instructor, and your having the bookwork out of the way, your ready to do the ground portion at a faster pace and also the flying portion with less homework at night.
Lastly the best way to save money on the flying end is Imerse yourself in the program. Take a period of time and "git er done". If you stretch things out its similar to two steps forward and one to the rear.
Other hoops you will have to crawl through in the states consist of Permission from immigration https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/afsp2/afspindex.py?acct_type=c&section=WN and TSA. www.tsa.gov (http://www.tsa.gov)
If I can be of any help, give me an email.