PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian

timmyneedham
31st Jan 2008, 17:32
Hi everyone

Taking a trip to Bali shortly using Malaysian for the first time. Anyone had previous??

Cheers
TN

VS-LHRCSA
31st Jan 2008, 18:09
Good economy product, on par with SQ, possibly even better. Great food and service. Best way to get to Bali.

WHBM
31st Jan 2008, 18:34
I use them from time to time as we have business in Kuala Lumpur, and to get there Malaysian is really the only sensible routing.

They strike me as a sort of poor-mans Singapore Airlines, with whom they are of course in substantial competition for any connecting traffic.

The standards have gone down a bit in recent years, the FAs (notably the stewards) are a bit grumpier than what would have been tolerated previously, and the drinks service is a bit more restricted now in Y.

There are some throwbacks to their Malay origins. On a recent flight from London after takeoff they came round in Y with trays of water, fruit juices, etc (prepoured in little plastic cups), and when everyone had been offered these a steward rushed down the aisle with a tray of similar thimble-sized beers (they must have got about 4 cups out of each beercan) held very low down out of sight and mumbling "beer beer beer" very quietly whilst avoiding eye contact. He was past us all before anyone could catch him, none were served on our aisle at all, and doubtless they all celebrated in the back galley as the Demon Drink was put down the drain :)

Very nice service in C class if you can run to it.

c3pd
1st Feb 2008, 05:15
I have friends, who I would describe as reasonably fussy on service standards, who have been happily travelling Malaysian for years now mainly Australia to LHR and back, via KL.

I'm a Qantas FF so only go QF to overseas destinations..although I have used Singapore and Cathay in th epast who were both good inflight (my memory is of smooth and friendly inflight service on Singapore).

My friends have always seemed to enjoy the the Malaysian service.

Cheers

c3pd :)

Andy_S
1st Feb 2008, 08:32
I've done London - Denpassar via KL with Malaysian. On the whole, the long haul sector is good. 34" seat pitch in economy is as good as you'll get anywhere and IFE is world class. I would echo WHBM's comments about quality of service. I do believe there has been a marked deterioration in recent years, and CC - while by no means bad - are less polite and attentive then they used to be. Meal and drinks service also gone downhill, although still nothing to complain about.

You'll find that the KL-Denpassar stretch is treated as a short haul flight, and on board service will be pretty much no-frills, even if the equipment is a wide bodied aircraft.

Given a choice, MH would still be my 1st choice airline to Bali.

joniveson
1st Feb 2008, 12:39
I think they're a fantastic airline. Flown with them a couple of times between Osaka and Kuala Lumpur and on domestics within Malaysia. Can't comment on how their service has changed but I certainly had no complaints. Their IFE system is great, always found the staff courteous and helpful and all flights were on time.

I recently flew Air France and KLM long haul and have to say Malaysia Airlines beat them hands down

timmyneedham
2nd Feb 2008, 10:03
Thanks for your responses everyone, I'm grateful for your experience and judgement. I am sure we'll enjoy our trip.