PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide Resignations

TownshipDog
31st Jan 2008, 12:15
Apparently 4 F/O's (including the F/O from the one-engined flight 723) and at least 1 training captain have resigned from CE this week. They were given dispensation to leave with a 24hr notice period if they resigned before end of Jan (copies of memo's will be posted) and now VB and his henchmen are suing the said induviduals for not serving 3 months notice as per their contracts. Even in the cases where letters waivering the 3 month notice were issued by CE, they boys are getting sued.

Shows how much one can trust VB and his cronies...:yuk:

trubru
31st Jan 2008, 12:22
VB should rather be focusing on keeping the airline alive...

TownshipDog
31st Jan 2008, 13:33
It seems things are hapeneing at CE ops... TM, the outgoing DFO was told not to come to work today for backing up the pilots in the resignation story and my contact in the banking fraternity has told me that today Nationwide has been sold either in part or fully to G. Reddy of Durban. The same man who tried to take over 1time when it listed

Cirrus SR22
31st Jan 2008, 13:46
sent: 29 January 2008 08:43 AM
To: ann brlcknell; bernice duque; braam malan; charmaine thorne; cornelis schoonderwoerd; dave vanniekerk; deon els; dirk steyn; erika van der nest; floors labuschagne; jane hay; johan kruger, karen lane; pieter vanderwesthulzen snr; reinhard van niekerk; robble rautenbach; ross green; stephen smith; sue bromley; sylvia pitout; thys mulller; werner pretorius
Cc: barbara buchanan; nicolene marais; marilize human
Subject: Resignations

HI,

Please ensure that all resignations that you have to date have been sent HR/salaries by 1000 today. This is the out off for processing for salaries.

The waiver on notice periods must now be ended. Employees who resign must be advised that they are obliged to work their contracted notice period. Failure to do so will result in legal action being taken against them.

Thanks

Dave

Dave Hill

Director, Human Resources Nationwide Airlines (Pty) Ltd
•• +27 (11) 395 7661- Office
•• 011 0866 873 485 – Fax
[email protected]
Reservations: 0861-737-737
www.flynationwide.co.za

Shrike200
31st Jan 2008, 16:05
Let me tell you a little story about the F/O of flight 723 and Nationwide's infamous CEO, just to give you an idea of what kind of person VB is.

DP, the F/O (and pilot flying) during the engine separation of OEZ, was recently scheduled to do his -500 rating. He gets the books/CBT etc, then, lo and behold, gets a training bond agreement shoved in his face, and told to 'sign here'. He queries some of the details, ultimately refusing to sign said document. After some blah blahing, VB phones him (please note: this is the first time he's ever spoken to VB, who didn't even say so much as a 'Thanks for helping save those lives, and my airline') and gets a solid uitkakking for not signing the bond!!! VB tells him "You'll sweep my hangar floors if I say so!" Our hero then says to VB "Fine, where's the broom!?", at which point VB throws a bit of a wobbly. (Obviously, DP's employment agreement says he'll do no such thing). All of this straight from the horses mouth, 1st hand.

Thats the kind of 'man' VB is. Just so anybody thinking he's an alright guy can think again. If there happens to be anybody like that left.

Combined with the sheer idiocy of the above mentioned HR idiot, DH, it's a surprise Nationwide has any crew left at all. And of course, TM, the outgoing DFO lasted the usual 10 months or so - why anybody in their right mind would accept the DFO position at Nationwide baffles me. Of course, I'm told that both the IOSA auditors, and the SACAA have both queried the high staff turnovers at Nationwide, but as usual, they (NTW management) simply didn't give a toss.

To those thinking of joining Nationwide: Do yourself a favour - don't. Believe me, there are better positions out there now.

777Contrail
31st Jan 2008, 17:49
I was in SA a couple of weeks ago and met with an old friend who is, let's say, "inside the SACAA".

The Nationwide saga is FAR from over.

Golf_Seirra
31st Jan 2008, 18:35
Does this mean if you take a position / training bond and CE goes bang.....do you still have to honour the bond ? Can't imagine any liquidators coming after the guys....I guess one thing will be for certain, if Mr Reddy does take-over the airline, the head-office will move to Durban.....

Juliet Sierra Papa
31st Jan 2008, 19:05
I don't think these two guys (VB & DH ) realise that they are not the " One eyed man in the land of the blind and therefore I am King". VB must now rate as the worst Boss in the world if the above story is true, DH where the hell did you qualify for your position with making sweeping statements, Quote "Failure to do so will result in legal action being taken against them"Unquote.
What happened to the first step of Disciplinary action instead of jumping in with "Legal action"
What happens if the person was Incapacitated etc.
Was there an agreed cut off time for Waiver on resignations, if so you should have quoted it in your above mentioned Email, it sounds like you just made that rule up because you're a boss.

I understand that this is a rumour forum but if the above posts are true then NTW deserve ALL that is on its way to them.
I hope VB ends up sweeping the hanger floors.

WildFrequency
31st Jan 2008, 19:28
Unfortuantly all the above is true.

TownshipDog
1st Feb 2008, 11:51
By Ella Smook

The rough ride of embattled Nationwide Airlines continued this week after the resignation of four of its pilots including First Officer Daniel Perry, who co-piloted the Nationwide flight which lost an engine at take-off in 2007.

According to a senior Nationwide source, the grounding of the airline and subsequent scrapping of flights, resulted in pilots losing flight hours, raising concern about job security.

Perry confirmed his resignation, but would give no further comment. He and Captain Trevor Arnold were feted as heroes in 2007 when the right engine of Nationwide Flight CE723 tore loose from the aircraft and they had to land it with only one engine.

The metallurgy report has not yet been made public. However, the CAA promptly grounded Nationwide after the incident, pending a full inspection of all the carrier's aircraft and their maintenance histories.

The source said that after the grounding a memo had been issued to staff saying they could resign giving only 24 hours notice, as opposed to the usual three months required contractually.

The source added that Nationwide staff were concerned about job security and pilots were losing airtime. Flight hours averaged 70-80 a month pre-grounding.

When operations resumed, the source said pilots' flight hours had failed to normalise.

Perry and three other first officers, Petrus Pienaar, Corne la Cock and James Lawrence, subsequently resigned and joined Comair. Pienaar, La Cock and Lawrence have also confirmed their resignations.

On Tuesday, the waiver on notice periods was summarily withdrawn. It is believed this move could be linked to the current negotiations between Nationwide and Allan Reddy, who previously tried to take over 1time airline as part of his quest to become "the first black owner of a private airline".

Nationwide CEO Vernon Bricknell confirmed on Friday that Nationwide and Reddy were "talking", but categorically denied rumours that the airline had been sold.

This article was originally published on page 3 of Cape Argus (http://www.capeargus.co.za/) on February 01, 2008

fly nice
1st Feb 2008, 12:08
Does this mean if you take a position / training bond and CE goes bang.....do you still have to honour the bond ?

Depends if the bond was a 'loan' from Nationwide Charter, or a genuine training bond from Nationwide Airlines, if such a thing exists.....

Toppled AH
1st Feb 2008, 12:15
If Mr Reddy takes over and HQ moves to Durban does that mean the crew gets a free BEAN BUNNY CHOW too? :)

Golf_Seirra
6th Feb 2008, 11:30
Was told by NW HR lady a week ago that there would be no interviews or selection for about 2 months to let the current schedule catch up. Got a phone call today asking what are you up to tommorrow.....I guess things are moving a lot quicker than expected.

Must be all those chaps off for the Jet* interviews and BA chaps too proud to take a step backwards.....things are going to get interesting for sure.

Does that mean if there are less chaps, we get a cut of their salary......guess it is going to be Patel's beans bunnies for me for the next 4 years.....

:uhoh:

Q4NVS
6th Feb 2008, 12:03
BA chaps too proud to take a step backwards.....

Huh, what does that mean..?:confused:

Springbok747
6th Feb 2008, 17:55
As one of the previous victims, this is not the first time VB pulled a stunt like this. You got my vote for the worst BOSS.:*

vagabond 47
7th Feb 2008, 17:13
If an Indian takes over Nationwide you will all be wishing VB was the "rudder" again.............?

Shrike200
7th Feb 2008, 21:03
Indian, Black, White, Chinese etc etc......who cares.

If the person in charge is a competent manager, good planner, good communicator etc, they should do well, and they'll get the support of the employees.

The problem is that none of the people who end up in charge seem to have formal management training, or any practical leadership experience. So many problems encountered on a daily basis by crew have their root causes in fundamental strategic errors by management types too intent on 'false' savings, or just simple lack of common sense. No attempt to communicate in any direction, as well as a culture of distrust between management and employees means that no ideas or practical advice passes upwards or downwards - inherent systemic flaws continue, despite solutions being abundantly clear to many people at the front line. The bottom line is that as long as whoever is acting as CEO can fulfil certain standards of leadership, it doesn't matter what they look like, or where they came from. Personally, I find the standard of management in this industry in general (having come from a different industry altogether) to be quite substandard, to put it mildly.

In any case...I personally find it unlikely that anybody could be a worse people manager than VB. But life has a way of surprising me....

Flyer14
7th Feb 2008, 21:04
If an Indian takes over Nationwide you will all be wishing VB was the "rudder" again.............?

Don't generalise!:= It makes you look ignorant, there's no need to bring race into this.

I think VB is an a-hole and there are plenty people OF ALL COLOURS, that could be a better boss than that old fart!

Avi8tor
7th Feb 2008, 21:10
How does this Mr Reddy fit in? Has he not heard how to make a small fortune in aviation? If not, I am sure VB will be quite happy to take him to the cleaners.

The777dream
7th Feb 2008, 21:56
An Indian in charge...... sounds good to me !!! He will wheel you a deal and make a plan !!! Im sure he will make you a lot happier than VB ever could !!! :}

vagabond 47
8th Feb 2008, 04:01
Ive worked for both VB, and currently 3 yrs in India........thats called :Dexperience........something you are sadly lacking.

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Feb 2008, 04:23
Well, if NW starts turning out decent curries as in flight catering I'd be happy to change my allegiance from my current carrier.:ok:

merlinxx
8th Feb 2008, 04:55
Just wait 'til VJ rebrands NW as Kingfisher RSA!

Flyer14
8th Feb 2008, 11:35
Ive worked for both VB, and currently 3 yrs in India........thats called experience........something you are sadly lacking.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.....:hmm:

vagabond 47
9th Feb 2008, 02:14
No need to show your 'IMMATURITY" now laddy.:=......keep to the subject matter.

Flyer14
9th Feb 2008, 10:13
As you wish, but keep your personal generalisations out of it. I've got 8 times as many years of actually being an INDIAN than your 3 years in India, so don't lecture me about what an Indian can and cannot do safely and efficiently!

If I where to look at VB, Miles van der Molen or Andy Cluver as an example of a white CEO/Manager must I now come to the conclusion that all white CEO/Managers are stingy/poor communicators/outright liars? No, that's a naive, IMMATURE, generalisation. Accept that just as you get :mad:holes of all colours, you also get some damned good guys, also of all colours.:D

Think before you type.

imustbemad
9th Feb 2008, 10:57
and so another spread of some possible interest to some dies....

You are both juvenile idiots

vagabond 47
10th Feb 2008, 13:15
:eek:Ahha.......So you are a "babu", I flushed you out..........Take a trip back to your home country......or talk to my Indian co-pilots about the indians they work for.
Generalisations DO work sometimes.:}:uhoh::hmm::ugh::{:zzz::D:zzz::yuk::=:sad::8:ooh :.

Goffel
10th Feb 2008, 16:18
Oi Flyer 14.

What has Miles or Andy got to do with Nationwide or for that matter India.

As for having 8 time longer at being an Hindian fellow, you are either a young kid of 24 or you were an American before becoming a Hindian fellow.

But dont worry, Miles or Andy wont hold it against you.:ugh:

Shrike200
10th Feb 2008, 17:27
Thread realignment: +1 to the Captain resignation number.

Nationwide is like some kind of adaptable virus or something - it merely shrinks or grows according to demand, with a never-ending supply of pax (aircraft are mostly full).

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Feb 2008, 03:36
More opportunity for the FOs then. I guess there are some silver linings...:ok:

LittleMo
11th Feb 2008, 06:45
Thats if CE stays open...loads aren't that great and with some flights being cancelled who knows how long VB can hold out. Also with only 6 of the B732's flying and the B727 fleet still stuck on the ground (perhaps forever?) things don't look rosey at Impala Park

Shrike200
11th Feb 2008, 07:10
That's the joy of owning old aircraft as opposed to leasing new ones - how much does a grounded 737 cost, if you own it completely? Obviously something, but it doesn't just bleed money for you at least. It's just not making money. Plus, from what I'm told at least, most flights are quite full (70%-100%). Even with a reduced schedule, the aircraft that are flying have good utilisation figures, so how does that affect things? It's only the -500's which are on a lease-buy arrangement, and they're flying reasonably well. The 767 is leased, but I have no idea of the loads.

Anyway, if things were to pick up even slightly, Nationwide would start to encounter crewing problems (again). Good news for the F/O's, as has been said.

LittleMo
11th Feb 2008, 07:42
Well the flights i've been doing havent been that full...a few are but only when they cancel the 2 flights that were suposed to depart before hand to the same destination ie: JNB - CPT

Who knows though, only done 70hrs since the grounding so maybe i'm missing the boat!!! :rolleyes:

RunwayBlueOne
19th Feb 2008, 22:12
Nationwide is offering the cheapest fares by far between JNB-LGW but herein my dilemma. Can I safely assume that they will be still flying this route in 5-6 months time? or is buying a ticket now a bit like buying a lotto ticket?

Maurice Chavez
20th Feb 2008, 05:27
Shrike200,

That's 2 727 Captains that have resigned already..... :(

Whenwe
20th Feb 2008, 10:19
Getting B727 pilots were a problem years ago, must be critical now.

Not much bussiness sense in sighning for a B727 bond either and cannot imagine VB paying for it.... It' s always a safety issue but there could be some practical value in flying both B732 and B727. Pick your crew carefully and it could make sense.

Golf_Seirra
3rd Mar 2008, 08:27
They are doing even more interviews but no simm check rides....guess those will only be done when they are sure they need guys to start the next day. Bond has now gone to R170K over 4 years and the clock only starts ticking after 2 years......

What happened to the Durban based chap who was in the running for the buy-out ?

Damn, no free bunnies...unless you count the hosties...:rolleyes: