PDA

View Full Version : ANR headset

vakantieman
31st Jan 2008, 08:12
Hello,

I am thinking to buy a new ANR headset, type Sennheiser HMEC 46 KP. No AA batteries needed, just DC PWR from the plug.

Does anyone know if this is possible in a Ryanair 738? Would be nice to get something for free in RYR, besides the free bleedair and the cup of water).

Happy landings

belowMDA
31st Jan 2008, 19:53
Our company has just trialled three ANR headsets, the Bose X and the Sennheiser HMEC 25 and 46. I think the preference overall was for the Bose, however of the Sennheiser models the older HMEC 25 came out on top. We operate 733s and had to have the units with the battery pack in them. This may also be the case with your NGs, but it should be very easy for you to find out next time you fly.

P.s. I reckon the airline should be paying for those sorts of things, health and safety reasons etc.

pilotbear
31st Jan 2008, 20:12
I use the Clarity Aloft headset in the Falcon. It works really well, no batteries needed. Works nicely even with one ear piece in.

easymoney
1st Feb 2008, 10:33
Non battery variant works fine in the 737-800 at FR.

DesiPilot
1st Feb 2008, 10:58
Sorry to hijack your thread. Does anyone know of a website where I can find the schematic of Airbus Adaptor? I have Bose X headsets, I bought the adaptor from US and here in India I found out that two wires are broken (desoldered) I just want to find out which to solder where :) Thanks in advance

PS: All my friends who are using the battery less ANR headsets in Boeing classics and NGs work just fine.

Rhodes13
1st Feb 2008, 15:06
Easymoney you sure about that? I had the non battery variant and tried out a battery version and they were much much quieter.

Apparently the option to have power to the headset jack is an option that RYR didn't tick when ordering from Mr Boeing.

I have the battery powered version and if you get yourself two or three sets or rechargeables you'll always be covered. Bit annoying though when they die on short final and your world suddenly becomes noisy!

Jimmyjimjim
1st Feb 2008, 15:46
As a professional sound engineer I am flabergasted that Bose has a market within aviation.

In the audio comunity Sennheiser is considered a mid-level company regarding audio quality, with the corresponding mid-level price tag.

Bose is considered at the very low-end regarding audio quality, while retaining a high end price tag.
They have clever marketing, not clever products.

So how could Bose be prefered for your application? Audio quality (how well can one understand what is being said) is with no doubt better with the Sennheiser, so is Bose more comfortable to wear or what?

Just curious.

Dream Land
1st Feb 2008, 17:26
Yes Bose are much more comfortable and the ANR doesn't depend on squeezing your head in a vice like grip like the Sennheiser, our aircraft come with the Sennheiser headsets installed, sound quality very good, microphone excellent, comfort nonexistent, just my 2 cents.

redout
1st Feb 2008, 19:53
Jimmyjimjim, two words "bose x". Nothing comes close to it. The best ANR in my opinion. The only negative is the fact you gotta wear it over both ears.

A330driver
1st Feb 2008, 20:43
Have a look at the Telex Airman 850. A few guys in our place have them and are impressed by them

http://www.telex.com/Aircraft/Product.aspx?MarketID=2&CategoryID=13&ProductID=5

alexpc
1st Feb 2008, 23:34
Jimmy,

As an ex- (well, part-time now) sound engineer, I share your views on Bose in the pro-audio market; which is why I wasn't holding my breath when a colleague suggested I try out his swanky new Bose Aviation X. A bit of a sad, twisted traditionalist, I've never used an ANR headset before, so I've no real reference to compare it to, but I have to say I was impressed. Extremely comfortable compared to a tight-fitting passive design, and much, much quieter (obviously) than an open-backed or monaural headset.

You'll never hear it from me again, but on this one, I'm sold!

mixture
2nd Feb 2008, 14:40
battery less ANR headsets

Surely by their very definition and technical design, there is no such thing as a battery less ANR headset.

As far as I am concerned, a headset without batteries is a PNR headset ... Passive Noise Reducton.

Feel free to correct me if you feel I'm wrong ... :)

Dream Land
2nd Feb 2008, 14:52
You would be quite wrong. := Sennheiser

mixture
2nd Feb 2008, 15:05
Guess I should have known better than to post ! :ugh:

Having just downloaded the "Sound of Silence" brochure from the Seinheiser website, let me reword my statement .... :O

"As far as I am concerned, a headset not requiring power is a PNR headset ... Passive Noise Reducton."

All the headsets in the Seinheiser brochure had a power draw requirement. The ones that did not use batteries, required the aircraft to provide the power.

Happy now Dream Land ? :ok:

Denti
2nd Feb 2008, 21:34
I'm using the Telex 850 ANR and im quite pleased with it on the 733. Draws the power from the mic power and that works perfectly as long as you don't key the handmike or use the mask.

Lightweight, very comfortable even on longer sectors and no problems to understand the guy on the other side or the girl providing the coffee with both cups over the ears.´

We have company provided Sennheiser HME 45 (i think, older ones) and those were very uncomfortable.

Money 4 Jam
3rd Feb 2008, 03:34
As far as I am concerned, a headset without batteries is a PNR headset ... Passive Noise Reducton.I have the Clarity Aloft headset, it would be in that category and works well.

lederhosen
3rd Feb 2008, 07:03
I use the telex 850 on the NG and it works fine. As said it draws power from the mike circuit. The real problem with ANR headsets is that to get the full effect you obviously have to have both sides over your ears which makes cockpit conversation more complicated. Keying the intercom or using the famous rubber band technique may work for some, but not for me most of the time. Otherwise I am very happy with the product.

in my last airline
3rd Feb 2008, 15:01
Agree with the Bose lovers, much better than the HMEC which I was really glad to get rid of on E bay. It is more comfortable, seems to be better at noise reduction by I would guess 20% or so (percieved) and batteries are lasting me 50 hours or so which again is about 20 to 30% better. But my only complaint is that the sidetone of your voice as you TX is very low. Does anyone know how to boost it pls?

Jimmyjimjim
3rd Feb 2008, 16:55
An active circuit is an active circuit, wether it draws powering from a line or from batteries.
Alexpc, interesting information about Bose! Altough very peculiar from a Pro-Audio point of view as you said yourself.

vakantieman
5th Feb 2008, 13:22
So guys, thanks for the info sofar.

I flew yesterday with a collegue who uses the telex 850 and it works out great. So I ordered one of those in the states for $425 (sportys).

happy landings