PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hour building in the US now???

sparx007
31st Jan 2008, 07:06
Hi all,

Just wondered if anybody was out in the US at the moment doing some hour buidling or other courses, and if so with whom and how you are finding it???? Do your experiences thus far regardng aircraft, time frames and finances appear to match your expectations from details on websites etc??? How did you find the process of obtaining the FAA certificate etc if you had JAA PPL thus enabling you to fly over there.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sparx

dartagnan
31st Jan 2008, 07:34
if you are talking about time building and buy a block of hours, yes, usually their quotes are correct, and u may be able to get a discount, if you buy 10 hours or more.

about conversion from a JAR to FAA. you shouldn't have any problems as these license are all ICAO.So the FAA should give you a temporary license the same day.

You just need a new FAA medical which usually cost around 60-80$ and good for 2-3 years. You must obtain a "release form" from your CAA, for 40 pounds to get a FAA privat license.

Nichibei Aviation
31st Jan 2008, 07:54
You don't need FAA medical just your JAA medical is fine

jonnyboy102
31st Jan 2008, 08:07
have you got a link to the conversion process of JAA to FAA PPL? I need to do this too.

Thanks, Jon.

SNAFU.
31st Jan 2008, 16:53
Just done this process myself, here is the american form you need to fill in and fax to the faa

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/

and don't forget to pay the CAA to release your information (£39), you need to fill in a form for the CAA (SRG/1160) it's on their website!

Good luck:ok:

BelArgUSA
31st Jan 2008, 17:42
... And my usual recommendation - which is -
You are building hours... so you dont need a "fast" airplane.
An old C-150 or PA-28 is fine for that.
The least expensive = the best and enjoy the flying, and the scenery.
Buy by "blocks" of (?) 10 hrs for discounts. Try get more discounts for 20 hrs.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

jono1978
31st Jan 2008, 17:51
You do need an FAA medical though to fly solo in US airspace if you're working towards PPL. I had to get one last year when I went, even though I had a class 1 JAA