PDA

View Full Version : Lan Peru Interview

Ramair
31st Jan 2008, 02:11
Anybody out there to give me some tips about LAN PERU interview? What's the process? Is there any SIM check ride and on what type? What are they looking for?
If you make it through the process, what is the package offer? Where is the base? any choice of base? or commuting?
Would also appreciate info about the cost of living in Lima.
Cheers;)

FlyingOW
1st Feb 2008, 00:05
Ram,

Interview process used to be:
1 ATPL & 1 IRA style tech exam,
1 extensive psyche eval (Psychometric tests, Rochard/colour charts, one-on-one with Psychologist for an hour or two)
1 English eval,
Used to have a simple IFR procedures eval on 737 flight-sim device
1 Final interview
Hardest part is pysche eval, most fail on this, about a 60-70% failure rate if not more.

Bases: None, Lima is only option for LANPeru.

Pay: Depends how many hours you have, newly minted FOs get around 1200USD once on the line, once they accumulate 1700TT (about 2 yrs or so) get base pay for a regular line FO, almost 3K, 76ers make 10-15% more. Various pay scales inbetween, not sure on exact details. There is productivity pay above 70 hrs, again varying scales. These are take home numbers. Captains make about 50% more.

COL: Relatively cheap, mate of mine rents a 1 bedroom flat for 600USD in a very nice part of town. Cars expensive, about 20-30% more than USA. Food/booze, public transport etc very cheap though.

Benefits: Transportation provided to and from airport locally and downroute. 2 ID-100 per year, unlimited ID-90, OneWorld and ZED discounted travel. 30 days hols a year assigned on senoirity. Discounted Medical etc, no pension contribution by company.

Bond: 3 yrs for either fleet, only DEC on 320 unless around 60 yrs of age and then eligible for 767. FOs join on both fleets according to demand.

Rosters: 6 on 1 off, so no chance to commute...........but they plan on improving that, my Feb roster has 7 days off, not in a row mind. Beats the 4 days a month I got last year on average each month. No bidding for rosters, assigned on how "good and cooperative" you are.

Best of luck,

OW

PS. Do you speak spanish? Do you have citizenship/residency or another Latin American or US passport? If no, then ignore all of the above.

Strobe lights
1st Feb 2008, 07:08
Hi OW and Ramair

Are they looking for pilots now?
Do you know the requirements? hours and maximum age?
Does residency with peruvian CPL/ME/IR is enough?

Any info please..

Thanks,
Strobe

FlyingOW
1st Feb 2008, 13:29
Strobes,

They put an ad in the Sunday paper asking for pilots:
DEC for 319/767 max age limit 62, Min 4000TT, 2000 Jet, Current Captain
FO CPL+ME/IR max age lmit 42. No min hours required.

Not 100% sure about age limits, cant remeber exactly what ad stated........check with LAN Peru for more details.

250 hr guys usually go onto 319, experienced pilots usually join on 767 fleet, but requirement may change from time to time.

Spanish is a must it seems (company manuals, circulars, etc, all in spanish) English will not be a problem for you I'm guessing.

Saludos,

OW

no-rvsm
1st Feb 2008, 15:52
Hola,

can you forward the contact data which where published in the Sunday newspaper to me ...

Many thanks !

Ramair
1st Feb 2008, 17:24
Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate a bit more on the ATPL and IRA style tech exam?
Is this a requirement from the local Civil Aviation Authority to convert your license? I am 60 and have done ATPL tests sooo long ago, that I just wonder...
Si hablo espanol and I am a resident and national of a South American country (neighbor to Peru).
Cheers:ok:

FlyingOW
1st Feb 2008, 17:55
Ram,

The tech exams used to be part of the entrance exams, dont know if they apply to someone of your experience. Re: conversion, probably will have to take the ATP written, just like FAA exam but does include part 135 and 121 test banks, or at least it did when I converted. Sim ride will take care of the rest of conversion, I am guessing.

For more details contact DGAC or LAN, I am sure they have more info.

Saludos,

OW

NO_RVSM: Sorry mate, threw paper out with the garbage. Try www.elcomercio.com.pe (http://www.elcomercio.com.pe) there might be something there, it was featured in Sundays paper.

ClimbSequence
2nd Feb 2008, 03:03
I saw the add in my country late December. The deadline to submit the CV was January 12th. It was for LAN and it did not specify which carrier, but one of the requirement was willing to relocate overseas.
I have not received even an answer yet.
I remember the email address was [email protected]
Any of you guys knows any other address to resend my documents.
I have 2600 TT and 550 jet all of them on B733, my mother language is Spanish and my age is on the mid 20's. Do you think I got a chance with them?

Strobe lights
2nd Feb 2008, 07:03
OW thanks..

I sent my CV yesterday and talked with a very nice lady who confirmed that it was well received. I have both FAA and Peruvian CPL/IR/ME licences as I use to live there many years ago.
My handicap is that I am spanish and I think they are still looking for nationals and/or residents. I losted my residency when I left Perú, what a pitty. Anyway, thanks for the information, I am going to call some good friends of mine in Lima who flies with TACA and LAN as captains, maybe that helps, never knows!! Once again, thanks and good luck to everybody.

Strobe

no-rvsm
2nd Feb 2008, 09:36
@FlyingOW

OK, no problem I will check El commercio. I am sure my CV will find his correct way to Lan Peru....

Muchas gracias

chock2chock
7th Feb 2008, 14:25
PS. Do you speak spanish? Do you have citizenship/residency or another Latin American or US passport? If no, then ignore all of the above.

OW, you mean there are possible opportunities for other Latin American cirizens alike with LAN airlines?

FlyingOW
7th Feb 2008, 15:24
C2C,

I cannot speak for LAN Airlines, but for LAN Peru....since last year LP has hired Argies, Columbians, and Bolivians. We also have Chileans on loan from LAN and of course Peruvians. I think it has something to do with the "Pacto Andino/ Comunidad Andina" which much like the EU allows for nationals to workl in neighbouring states.

There is a large deifict of pilots in Latin America at the mo......so there are opportunites for spanish speaking latin americas. We cuurently operate A319 and B767.

Regards,

OW

chock2chock
7th Feb 2008, 16:20
Wow 59 minutes talk about a quick reply! OW, I appreciate it very much. I thought along the lines that LAN had rebranded itself as one airline with an interchangeable fleet. I am Venezuelan, I hope there there could be some future for me in venezuela as well as the rest of L.A.

chock

Strobe lights
9th Feb 2008, 06:41
OW. Please check you PM.

Regards,
Strobe

richard III
1st Mar 2008, 23:39
Strobe:
If you have problems with your nationality, you may want to try LAN Chile, plenty of spaniards there, and there's no restriction on any nationality. Best of luck wherever you go

Strobe lights
3rd Mar 2008, 09:33
Thanks RichardIII

The problem is that I already have the peruvian licence which gives me some advantage, besides some good friends in local airlines. The problem is that peruvian authorities still does not open up for foreign pilots, but I´ve heard that they might sooner or later as there is a big local pilot deficit.

Do you know how can I get in touch or find out about Lan chile requirements or email for sending CV or any spaniard on PPRUNE line working for Lan Cile maybe??

Thanks for the advice.

Saludos,
Strobe

Strobe lights
25th Mar 2008, 20:47
Hi. Does anybody knows if LanPeru interview still like this?
By the way, what it is Rochard/colour charts?

Regards,
Strobe

--------------------------------
Ram,

Interview process used to be:
1 ATPL & 1 IRA style tech exam,
1 extensive psyche eval (Psychometric tests, Rochard/colour charts, one-on-one with Psychologist for an hour or two)
1 English eval,
Used to have a simple IFR procedures eval on 737 flight-sim device
1 Final interview
Hardest part is pysche eval, most fail on this, about a 60-70% failure rate if not more.
------------------------------------

SW_US
4th Oct 2008, 05:04
Hi, could someone lead me in the correct direction for a Lan Peru point of contact?

The Dominican
4th Oct 2008, 14:17
There is a large deifict of pilots in Latin America at the mo......so there are opportunites for spanish speaking latin americas. We cuurently operate A319 and B767.

You mean a deficit of pilots willing to work for what they pay, habemos muchos latinos (many latins) working all over the world but asking somebody to take a 70% pay cut to go work at LAN should be criminal

Make sure you ask about pay first, it is horrendous:yuk:

DDRJ440
4th Oct 2008, 18:25
About the pay.........well you got to take a look at the big picture. First, I'm assuming you work for a good company (DEFENETELY NOT A US REGIONAL) and you have some seniorty. LAN is basically hiring FOs with no previous experience. For somebody new is a good start, but for someone already established in a major airline in the US/Europe off course is not a good deal. For DECs yeahh pay is not than good neither, but is a start and for someone that has been furloughed it's a pretty sweet deal. Also, always consider cost of living and average wages in that particular country. Right now LAN holding has a lot of future and they're aiming high.
My point is that deppending on your particular situation, going back to SA for LAN could be really good or really bad. Just a few things to consider, that's all :ok:

FlyingOW
4th Oct 2008, 18:48
I pocket about 50K USD a year as an FO at LPE, so that would put you at about 166K USD a year (working backwards from your 70%) ..................somehow I find that hard to believe.

I suggest you check your figures again.

OW

DDRJ440
4th Oct 2008, 21:15
Agree with O.W. Technically, you can make 166K a year as a career FO in FedEx, UPS, BA, LH? but off course, you'd represent a VERY SMALL % (<5%?) of the FOs in the industry. Also, in the case of the US (EU too), those 166K would turn into 100K-120K after taxes. by the way.......hey OW, are those 50K after taxes? if that's so, that's not bad at all for Peru. That's actually what you'd make here in the US as a captain in a regional and with a way more expensive cost of living.

The Dominican
4th Oct 2008, 23:47
Figures checked, thank you for making my point. How many hours you flew in that year and how senior are you? or just to make it more simple, post the hourly rates for Cap and F/o's (I have a feeling you won't)

There are 767 contracts around the world that pay the F/O's way over six figures (year 1 that is)

DDR, there are no taxes in Peru?

FlyingOW
5th Oct 2008, 04:15
DDRJ,

These figures are after tax, hence the use of the word "pocket". Pre-tax that would be about 75-80K USD more or less. And as you said this is Latin America, where cost of living is stilll relatively low.

Dominican,

So you are telling me you can make 166K USD as an FO NET, after tax, pocket?.....I dont think so pal. An even if that was Pre-tax money you would be looking at losing about 40-45% of it to the IRS (compared to 28-30% in Peru). So Netting about 90K. Now how senior would you have to be as an FO to be on that kind of money?

Oh yeah I am a 4th yr FO on the 767, Yr 1 FOs are making about 8-9% less than me on their basic (assuming they have 2000 hrs) and we all get the same productivity pay (flt pay), regardless of your seniority. FYI I flew 840 hours last year, had a total 45 days of vacation, the year before that only 740, the year before that 700, and so far this year I have only accrued 600 hrs and will probably close out on 750 or so. Last year was a 1 off, we inagurated MAD and that meant round-trip we were doing 24 hrs total, so naturallly workload incresased but we build the time faster and get more time off.

JAL/All Nippon contracts, for example on 767 are lucrative, paying as you say 6 figures but hey you are in Japan, COL there is astronomical, or if you commute are looking at 20-21 ON for 10 OFF. Not good for a family man with small children. And as you stated they are "contracts". Stability? Command prospects? there is a reason why they are called "contracts".............just ask any FO on "contracts" at SIA Cargo, JAL etc if they stand a chance of upgrade? And before I forget you have to do 6 months of ground school for your conversion on basic pay, good luck surviving off that in Osaka. I have looked into other 767 gigs and they dont add up, pay is good but place is expensive, or pay is good and place is a dump. Also you must be PIC type-rated, and have experience on type, for the more lucrative contracts.

Next year I upgrade and will be NETTING about 75-80K USD first year as Capt on the Bus, after only 5 years in the company, and living in Peru! (We also have another 10K/year for Capts, 6K for FOs that goes into a bank account building interest in your name which you can't touch until you leave the job, kind of like the end of service benefit in the middle east. So after 32 years as a capt that should be about 320K USD in CASH, plus interest, plus what I accrued as an FO in my case and without even considering pay rises over those 32 years)....and yes we also have a pension. This wont make you rich but willl allow you to live very well in Lima. You have to put things into perspective.

LAN is stilll growing and turning a healthy profit, something most if not all US carriers aren't doing in these trying times.

Nuff said,

OW

The Dominican
5th Oct 2008, 15:15
I'm not an F/O and my point is that If you are going to become an expat F/O, do it for 8-10K a month, not for 4K but to each its own, your numbers and the numbers from my friends working there are nowhere close, but I've been in Lima many times and it is a very beautiful place so enjoy, I hope that your upgrade works out for you.

And by the way, these numbers you mentioned in a previuos post are more in line with what my friends are telling me

To add to Colofly72 post:

English is a must, but so is spanish! Growth is on 319 for time being, Medellin (regional) inaugurated and Tumbes and Cajamarca (domestic) to come in July. 767 has suspended 2 flts/week to LAX and 3 additional flts to MAD were canceled until further notice.

Future plans include 32 787 for delivery as of 2011 (most likely will be delayed). IAD has been rumoured for yrs but still nothing as of yet.

Unless joining as a DEC, upgrades are based on having a Min. of 4000 hrs, 2 yrs service on present fleet, and on seniority. If one doesnt have the hours they go to next pilot on the list. We are currently at 240 or so pilots, aim is 300 by end of year, half of which are FOs. As DECs are hired number of FOs upgrading is less than 1/3 of the required.....expect 6-10 yrs in the RHS for new hires, maybe even more once we hit critical mass.

One word of caution, lowtimers get paid jack schmidt.... <1000 hrs make around 1000-1300USD and <1700 or so make 2000-2300USD. Only above said hrs will one get paid line FO full pay, about 3000USD. Productivity pay starts at 70 hrs at 40USD/hr before tax. Oh and you get a whopping 1% per year of service (after 2 yrs) to a max of 25%..........:rolleyes:

OW

Seems like a sensible word of caution to me. And here are more numbers posted by you that are more in line with what my friends are telling me

For those wishing to apply as DEC, pay is about 19,700 Soles basic before tax. Productivity pay starts at hour 70 at 180 per hour gross, max FTL of 90 per month. Currently 3 Soles to 1 USD. Tax man, 10% pension contribution, commission, health insurance, etc accounts for 30-35%. Most Capts on 319 netting around 5K USD first year flying above 80 hours. Double salary in Feb, July and Dec. Pre-Unionization 2 years ago: 3200USD Capt/ 2400USD FO take homehttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/eek.gif

Nuff said Indeed:rolleyes:

FlyingOW
5th Oct 2008, 17:20
Dominican,

If you read my post again you see that I mention "assuming they have 2000hrs". Yes the low timers are getting a real bum deal. Still my numbers are not misleading.

Lets do the math with the figures, for bus FO 3000 USD basic take home year 1, multiply that by 15 (remember I mention double pay in 3 months) you get 45K take home not including flt pay. I got over 50K total for the year take home(including flt pay and 76ers make about 6% more on their basic). Captains on the bus get a little over 5000 USD a month take home ,year 1 (basic plus flt pay). Multiply that by 15 and you get 75K USD a year take home year 1.

Now how are these figures any different to what I posted before and now? I am not misleading anyone, just do the math (it would seem you didnt)

The pre-union figures were low, I agree but that was more than 2 years ago.

OW

PS. You are right, dont go expat unless it is for 8K USD per month as an FO. I personally would go expat as an FO if it paid more than what I could make as capt in LAN, wouldn't have any problems giving up the command if it made sense for the family and me.

FlyingOW
5th Oct 2008, 18:50
For those genuinely interested in LPE,

It seems KIAD is on the books for Jan 2009 according to the bosses. Very excited about the news.

767 Destinations for 2009 will be:
KLAX
KMIA
KIAD..pending confirmation
LEMD
MMMX
SVMI
SAEZ
SCEL
SEGU

SBGR is going to be Bus only destination as of next month.

Regards,

OW

SW_US
5th Oct 2008, 20:25
How is the maintenance?

DDRJ440
5th Oct 2008, 21:03
I have a couple of friends in mx in Santiago, where they perform the heavier checks for the holding, and they do a pretty good job there. Visited the facilities myself and I was impressed. Besides that, new airplanes make things much easier.

FlyingOW
5th Oct 2008, 21:56
Mx is one of LAN's strong points and the maintenance facility in SCL is very impressive.. Aircraft are well maintained and nicely kitted out (767 with Pegasus FMC with dual GPS and VHF/HF datalink via ACARS are great for the MAD and LAX flights). I can honestly say I have no complaints with this dept. And as DDRJ says, new aircaft make it a lot easier. Half of the boeing fleet (10) arrived in the last 18 months straight from Paine Field. The buses are all pretty much new except for 2 A340 previously with Air Canada.

DDRJ, whats your status with LAN? Are you still in the running for LAN Chile?

OW

DDRJ440
5th Oct 2008, 22:38
I'm really aiming at LAN Arg since I'm argentinian. I've been in direct contact with one of the top dogs in arg and he liked my resume. The problem is that he told me that they won't be able to offer me an interview 'till I don't get my argentinian "comercial de primera", which it's a pain in the arse because of the infamous burocracia argentina. Now I have time, so I'll be going to baires to begin the process very soon. About LAN ch, I'm also working on it, I'll be there maybe next month to get my chilean CPL.(I've been there twice already doing paperwork) and to get that you need a visa, which I'm supposed to be getting soon. Just so you know, officially LAN Chile doesn't provide a work VISA (anymore). Also, before they offer me an interview, they told me I need to have a chilean CPL, FAA tickets won't do the trick. Also, right now they're pretty much staffed, so the next call is going to be for next year. There's a very slight chance they open a few slots by the end of the year, but that will deppend on how many pilots they need to lend to the rest of the holding. All this I'm telling you came out from the mouth of the head of the HR dept. She was really nice and polite, and told me she liked my resume, but she was very clear about all this. Also, the new call is going to be a fairly small one since they are anticipating a slowdown in the growth. Now, I'm sure you heard about many expats working in Chile and it's true, but also the HR lady told me that the ones they recentely hired already had chilean CPLs. I'm assuming they did what I'm doing now (PLEAS DON'T ASK:=:)) which by the way is not easy at all. Anyways, I'm just doing my best the get the job either in Argentina or Chile. We'll see how things turn...

FlyingOW
6th Oct 2008, 21:08
Good on you mate, it's good to be pro-active. Just keep hounding them until they give you a shot. Best of luck with the conversion and LAN-AR.

Saludos,

OW

DDRJ440
6th Oct 2008, 21:45
Thanx a lot ! I will need some good luck on top on working hard...... by the way, LPE was an option too, but I've heard it has become very competitive, specially with all the Latinos pilots being furloughed in the US. I've been told that for expats they were really looking for people with experience in the bus or 76 (for FOs). Apparentely they're not looking for DECs anymore). So, I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of new guys ex Spirit, ex UA, etc...

flyvargas
7th Oct 2008, 00:13
Not true. I have experience on B717 only and i'm being offered DEC as of today. However, i'm still trying to decide if this is a good move since i'm a fairly senior capt. where i'm at (Airtran) but with this economy don't know if we'll be in business too much longer. I'm sure it is more competitive now but they're still hiring DEC's. Before anyone says it: yes, Airtran pays more. But by the time you take taxes,SS,union dues and other crap they're very close. Also, a big player is the cost of living. Big difference b/w West Palm Beach, where i live, and Lima.

cosmiccomet
7th Oct 2008, 00:30
For those who are thinking in LAN Peru / TACA Peru.
The Peruvian DGAC is gonna requiered a written exam for converting your
ICAO licence to Peruvian CPL IR Frozen ATPL or Full ATPL.

That exam is taken in the DGAC using the same ASA FAA's ATPL computer program.
You have to consider to study all the ASA FAA ATPL book, FAR 121 and FAR 135.
I don't know why but the DGAC takes all the questions not only the 121 ones.
The minimum pass grade is 80% and you have 2 hours for finishing the test.

The Medical is taken in the FAP (Fuerza Aerea Peruana) Hospital.
It is much more detail than the FAA. It is gonna be much better if you go very early morning, around 07:30 am.
For First Psicological, they are gonna ask you to write an autobiography.
So have it ready before going to the exam.

Enjoy Lima.

DDRJ440
7th Oct 2008, 01:28
Vargas

Good for you! As I said before, about LPE I don't know much but what I've been told (not from the company itself). About leaving Air Tran......hummmm that's a thoughy isn't it? I mean, I'm trying to bail out off course, but I'm a regional driver....(I'm sure you remember those days:ugh:). I personally wouldn't leave a CA seat in Air Tran unless:
-You are peruvian and have friends and family in Lima
-You're really not convinced with your life in WPBeach
-You know for sure you are going to get demoted to FO.

Remember, things will get better in the US at some point (but first, things will get worse for sure). I'm eager to leave this regional because I was going to leave it sooner or later (my life couldn't get much worse than it is right now) It's not a company where I would build a career, but in your case you are in a company where you pretty much would stay and retire. Anyways, just my point of view, not trying to say do it or don't.

GOOD LUCK !

cosmiccomet
7th Oct 2008, 05:17
Another thing you have to considerer about LAN Peru / TACA is the scholarship of your children.

An International School in Lima is gonna cost you around U$D500-1200 (LiveCall:500-1200).
LAN Peru is not paying for that.

An Airbus A320 Captain Salary is not higher than U$D5,000 and not more
than U$D 6,000 for a '67 Capt.

I have an Argentine friend who was flying for LAN Chile as a B767 Captain.
He was also Instructor Pilot and his salary was lower than U$D 8,000 including perdiem.

The Salary scale in the LAN Group is from
1) LAN Chile 2) LAN Cargo 3) LAN Express 4) LAN Peru 5) LAN Ecuador
6) LAN Argentina.

The Dominican
7th Oct 2008, 11:41
Very low salary rates, very expensive schools and get ready to pay for a Mercedes but drive a used Camry. But then again they keep finding people so why pay an average wage?:rolleyes:

flyvargas
9th Oct 2008, 01:28
What do you consider an average wage? And is it for the states or Peru? 90k net(1st yr DEC)goes a long ways in Peru you know. However, if you live in the us and still pay bills here, then that's not that great money. At any rate, don't expect Middle east wages in so.am. Apples and oranges dude.

flyvargas
9th Oct 2008, 01:30
I personally wouldn't leave a CA seat in Air Tran unless:
-You are peruvian and have friends and family in Lima
-You're really not convinced with your life in WPBeach
-You know for sure you are going to get demoted to FO.

I am peruvian and i have family there.
I LOVE living in WPB
I'm top 1/3 seniority list.
See my dilema?

cosmiccomet
9th Oct 2008, 01:34
Dear Flyvargas, I totally agree with you. Nobody can expect Middle East/Far East salaries in South America.
But U$D 90,000 net per year is tooo high for a DEC.
Don't expect more than U$D 5,000 X 14 salaries=U$D 70,000.

One of my best friends was B767 Capt / Instructor pilot in LAN Chile, almost at the top of the pay scale and He was making less than U$D 8,000 per month including perdiem.

flyvargas
9th Oct 2008, 01:39
5k to 6k is correct. But you also know you get paid for 16 months, right? 12 regular months plus: march, july,december gratificaciones (obligatory) and one bonus month per yr based on profit. Also, school rates: i was there yesterday, one of top schools in Lima: $300/mo. Also insurance offered: best insurance offered 4 people:150 soles($50/month).
Many variables, may be good for some, not so good for others. My advice: wage ALL variables to make an informed decision. LAN is a solid carrier,it will be there for a while.Then again, we're talking airlines here.

DDRJ440
9th Oct 2008, 02:11
Fly Vargas:

Well, if you are peruvian....... go where your hart is. We are talking about good money in Peru right now. Also, being an airline CA back in S. America still gives you status, not like here in the US where we've come to be considered overpaid bus drivers by many... QOL is extremely important, but I guess the most important part is what your family thinks and feels about going down there, that's where you'll find the final answer.... LAN is in pretty good shape, and has a solid business model, not like the legacy carriers here in the US. Their business model is based on already expensive energy costs, and although they are affected by oil prices worlwide, they won't just disappear because the barrel of OIL goes up to $150. I'm saying this because I've been studying LAN for a while and it's amazing what they've accomplished. They were the 22nd most profitable airline in the world last year, and with only 80 or so airplanes (entire holding). Last year they turned net profits for 308M, more that most US and EU carriers that are 4+ times bigger. As you said, we are talking about airlines here, things could change, but in my opinion LAN has a very solid business model and stands a better chance to weather almost any crisis. They don't fly RJs.... they only serve markets for 100+ seats. RJs turned out to be the worst money loosers for some carriers when the oil started to go up. Anyways, if they keep doing what they've been doing they'll be fine....

The Dominican
9th Oct 2008, 07:51
Dear Flyvargas, I totally agree with you. Nobody can expect Middle East/Far East salaries in South America.

Why not? It is precisely this conformist attitude that has kept our salary rates in Latin America this low for this long. cost of living has nothing to do with it, some of the lowest living costs on the planet are in Africa and their pilots make a pretty decent wage. I have flown with pilots from all over the world in my 26 years flying and I would put the professionalism of the Latin pilots in the highest regard. Why should we expect to get paid less?

DDRJ440
9th Oct 2008, 14:49
Dominican:

You are comparing Middle East pilot's pay with Latin America. In the middle east, what's going on right now, it's a very special cacse. There's a boom in their economies, based of course on oil prices. When your GDP grows so fast, transportation grows accordingly, specially aviation. Airlines have been doubling their size in a matter of months. It's been a crazy growth, so finding qualified people in your own country becomes challenging and that's when they need to pay a lot for a pilot to come overseas. Also remember, it's the middle east, for foreigners it has never been attractive. About Africa, well same deal, there are some airlines growing a lot and they need to attract pilots to come to a ****ty country. In Latin America, the aviation has been growing but at a much more modest rate. There's still plenty of pilots in Latin America. It's all based in the old offer and demand. And yes, it has a lot to do with the cost of living too. Also compare pilot wages to average professionals in the country (true for any LAN). How much does the average banker, lawyer, doctor makes in the US and L America? You were talking about the middle east, well in Dubai right now they need all kinds of proffesionals, not only pilots. Got this friend that has been looking at a job as a financial analyst in dubai (nothing special), and the starting salary is 190k a year plus a bunch of benefits. The day they run out of pilots in L America (I doubt it), that's when wages are going to go up. Meanwhile, it's not being conformist, it's just reality.

FlyingOW
9th Oct 2008, 19:22
Cosmic,

You cant compare LAN-CH, wages and pay scales with LPE ones, the pay structures are completely different based on local laws. When was your friend on 8K? Just 2 yrs ago the exchange rate was 700 pesos to the dollar, it has been around 500 pesos for 2 years. In chile they get 12 salaries and then 2 more as a bonus based on performance. Also as an IP he was netting 1K more so putting him at 7K net, and as he was on 767 was not on highest payscale as A340 pilots make more. Just like 767 make more than 320 pilots. Also LAN Cargo pilots make the most. They get A340 pay while flying the 767F, so making more than their pax counterparts on the 767.

In Peru we get 12 regular salaries, 1 more in Feb (thanks to a Union benefit), and 2 more in July and Dec (called "gratificaciones", obligatory by law) and another 1.2 more into a separate bank account (half in May, half in Nov) called CTS (compensacion por tiempo de servicio, also obligatory by law and is not taxed so you get the gross + avg of productivity pay for the year). So as Fly Vargas says putting you at 16.2 salaries a year. So at 5K (flying 82 hrs approx by the way) Net x 15 = 75 add the CTS which is about 9-10K, that puts you at a total of 84-85K Net for the year. Not far off the 90K. Again year 1 for a 319 Capt living in Peru.

We also get double basic pay extra when flying on a public holiday, In my case as an FO 300 USD and a Captain 500 USD. At 12 "feriados" a year and having flown all bar 2 so far (3 more left in the year) will get me an extra 3K proably. A capt will get 4K working 8 out 12. Flying all 12 means an extra 6K for a Capt, but that would be very unnlucky! So add it all up and you get about 88K NET for the year.

The most expensive school in Lima (American) costs 1000 USD, the best 3 English schools are at 800 and 4 other intl schools (Swiss, 2 English, German) run about 500 USD. These all have Anglo/European teachers hence the high price and they offer IB programs and are far superior to any state run school in the US. Peruvian Private schools are around 300 USD or so and are very good.

Car prices have gone down considerably this year. The government reduced its import levies, to promote car sales and with the upcoming TLC "tratado de libre comercio" with the US and Asia expect prices to go down even more. I bought a brand new car this year, it cost 3K more than in the US (based on Kelley blue book figures) so expect to pay about 15% more than in the US, but then again I would pay about 25% more than in Peru if I had bought the same car in the UK, and what would I pay for that same car in Singapore? I am guessing about 80-100% more........... and no its not a used Camry:}:=

OW

PS. According to the company, LPE FOs (those with more than 2000 hrs) make the most of all FOs in the LAN holding. Due to local employment laws which require payment of CTS, Gratis, Feriados and lower taxes making the total package greater apparently.

tangalanga
9th Oct 2008, 21:16
FlingOW.
Thank you one more time for all your information. I send you a personals email, I hope that you answer me whenever you have a chance.
I am being hired by Lan Peru, FO for the 319, but I may be able to switch to the 767 before class. I am living the US and moving to Lima, I wish I can talk to you and get some advice. Thank you.

flyvargas
9th Oct 2008, 21:39
Bottom line fellas: LAN is a very successful airline presently with what appears a great future. Used to think the same of Airtran, where i work, but don't know anymore.If you can live in Peru, with those wages, you'll be very well off. Of course is less pay than the states but cost of living dictates that. If OW got paid what his counterpart at say Delta gets paid he'd probably own a bunch of cevicherias:) due to all the excess cash. But it's not Delta and not the US. Also, the 85k-90k lets remember is FIRST YEAR pay. Increases follow every year (was told that yesterday,in Lima) LPE is been in business 9 years so i dont know what the top guy makes. OW you have any idea? Nevertheless, LAN has treated me very well as an applicant and now it's up to me to decide what's best for me and family.

tangalanga
9th Oct 2008, 22:43
The Hiring process.

I will explain the way that they are interviewing people that is not from Peru and not even from the “Pacto Andino” countries, like me.
The company told me that they are looking for pilots out of Peru because they do not have enough nationals to cover the fast growing of the company. They are hiring DEC and FOs.
They prefer people with experience (for the Fo position) because the upgrade (A-319) can be very, VERY quick. People that I know that they are “importing” for FO position have 3000+ total, Jet, and 121 PIC. I don’t know if they also sponsor you if you are a low time pilot, may be if they like you.
For DEC, of course they ask for at least 4000 total and, at least 1000 PIC in Buses, Boeings , or similar size airplane. Don’t expect to be DEC if you have 3000 PIC in an ATR or 10000 SIC in a 777, they were clear on that.

First filter: Psychotecnic test.
Here is where 50% of the postulants get wash out.
The TEST:
1. They will give you a blank sheet and a pencil and tell you to draw something. When you are done, you have to write a brief explanation about your drawing.

2. Next is a series of questions. The interviewer asks verbally and you answer. Examples: Why people wash their clothes? If you find an envelope with the stamp and destination address on the middle of the street, what you do? Why people pay taxes? Watching a movie on the movie theater you are the first one to spot a fire, what you do?
They ask you about 20.

3. Intelligence test: 1. Series of numbers from 0 to 10.Each number has a symbol. Then, with a time limit, you have to complete as fast as you can, the new list of numbers with the correct symbol. 2. A lot of “logic type” figures test.3 More mental skills analyzed by giving you 9 small plastic cubes, and you have to move them around and put it together to emulate the figures that they show you.

4. Rorschach test.
5. A lot of personal questions about you, mother, father, etc.
The whole interview is almost 2 hours.

The rest of the process is normal.
Simulator test. If is Lima will be a 737-800 (I guess is the 800). It is “home made”, but do not expect a “game”, it is a beautiful fully equipped and working 737. It does not move, but is just like the “real cockpit” whit the original seats and everything.
The instructor is very professional and friendly. The flight is just normal instruments procedures and they want to see how you do in the cockpit. They do not expect you to fly the simulator like if you are a 737 pilot, like :mad:ing Cathay Pacific does.
ATP written test.
ICAO English tests.
Interview with the DO and you are done.

The only negative issue (and I am sorry to all the Limeños, but this is true and I say this with a lot of respect) was Lima. The people are very friendly and polite, and the City is OK, but the weather is horrible, at least for me. I am a very “outdoors” person, and when I was there the whole city was “grey”. The locals told me that it is like that almost all year around except for 2 or 3 months during the summer. 9 months a years is overcast 24/7, 7 days a week.
The Lan’s people are very nice, and you can feel a good atmosphere. Looks like is one of the top company to work for in Peru.
I hope I help somebody with the information.
Good luck .

FlyingOW
10th Oct 2008, 01:26
Spot on Re interview process. Man I had forgotten those questions, but they were exacty the ones I had when interviewing almost 5 years ago.

Also right about the DEC requirements.

Now about Lima, well dude you did come in the middle of winter. The weather in Lima resembles that of foggy London, but come mid-dec, its scorching sun until mid April. Believe me you will want to get away from the heat as its sweltering in mid february. This year autum was wonderful, giving us respite from the summer heat (4 months) and winter didn't fully kick in until late in June. July through October has been miserable and cold indeed. But spring is around the corner.

Now what you weren't told is about Lima's micro-climates. A short 30min drive (from my house anyway ) will get you into beautifully sunny countryside. The valleys are blue skies during the winter in Lima, and overcast during the summer in Lima. Most people go away on their weekends or just for Sunday lunch or frequent their clubs "sedes" in the countryside in Chaclacayo or Chosica for camping, biking, horseriding, bbq, etc and other outdoor activities. Also if you choose to live in the La Molina district you will have sun all year round pretty much. There is much about Lima you will not know until you spend some time here.

I will get back to your PMs asap, slipped my mind, sorry.

Welcome to LPE Tangalanga,

OW

PS. The bus lads are doing 80 odd every month, equating to about 60-80 cycles. 767 chaps are doing about 75-80 per month, equating to about 10 cycles. Pros and cons on both fleets, but the Boeing still retains some of the "glamour" that once existed in aviation. Fatigue is more of an issue on the bus than on the 767 once you get used to night flying. I log twice as much night than I do day, every month.

FlyingOW
10th Oct 2008, 02:37
Oh yeah, the company provides chauffer-driven transportation to and from the airport max of 4 occupants in a mini-bus (rarely more than 3, mostly 2 or 3 and sometimes picked up by myself). So no gas or parking expenses incurred by you. You will probably only need one car for the family......... just as well cause they are so expensive:eek::}:ok:

OW

YV757
12th Oct 2008, 02:49
Hey Tangalanga!!

I sent you a PM regarding contact info (person, e-mail) for LAN Peru. Can you please take a look? Thanks! :ok:

EagleA25
15th Oct 2008, 09:45
Tanga
I just wanted to add some info to OW's about the outdoor in Peru.
As you probably know you've got unlimited ID90's and should start using them. I recommend Tumbes, Cuzco and depending on your like's of the Amazon Forest, Iquitos and Puerto Maldonado. Also, by car there’s a lot more to explore. One very nice Captain in the 767 owns a small lodge hotel in Oxapampa which he rents out to fellow pilots at special rates. The area there is subtropical and very enjoyable. I myself miss going skiing; Peru is just too damn close to the Equator for that ;)
The problem in LPE is to get 2 or 3 days off in a row, as most of us fly 6 on and 1 off, and scheduling has this habbit of sending you home the last day at 11PM and pick you up after your day off at 7AM. But we have very high hopes that will change the next few weeks to come as the company is reorganizing the Operations Department.
Now, from an external point of view, as so many airlines are struggling in the Americas, we are doing not so bad at all. We keep growing, the company is EXTREMELY stable (I hope that stays that way) and some of the foreign pilots might even like to stay a while longer once you get used to the Peruvian cuisine (It’s a little spicy, but very tasty and a huge variety available).
PM me if you wanna know more...
TTYL

flyvargas
15th Oct 2008, 13:16
Eagle :please ck PM's.
Martin

T-6
24th Oct 2008, 22:49
Please could you tell me how much is the per diem for the airbus? thank you very much

VONKLUFFEN
26th Oct 2008, 12:08
Para LAN Peru? Anyone has the contact address to send it? Everything sounds interesting.
Mas tarde que temprano me gustaria volver a hablar espaniol con mis vecinos. Asia is getting a bit boring after 13 years now.
Gracias

YV757
28th Oct 2008, 20:30
For those in the know:

If you get hired, does LPE help you out with the moving expenses, or are you on your own?? Is there a "moving allowance"?? If not, how much do I have to fork out to move from CCS to LIM??

Thanks!

flyvargas
31st Oct 2008, 16:59
If you sign a 3 yr training bond as oppossed to a 2 yr they pay for your move to the equivalent of a small apartment for you alone or a small house for a family. Don't have exact details in front of me , but that's what they offer.

FlyingOW
1st Nov 2008, 01:40
T-6,

In this part of the world per-diems are known as "viaticos". In LPE on the Bus it is 45 USD (except GRU which is 55 USD) per night away from base. This usually equates to about 200 bucks or so a month on the Bus, assuming you get qualified on the regional routes (GRU, LPB-VIR, & SCL which are only pernoctes on Bus) all other regional (BOG, MDE, UIO) and domestic destinations are roundtrips, hence no "viaticos".

On the other hand, the Boeing avg. is around 700 a month, though I have personally broken the 1000 dollar mark on more than one occasion.

OW

PS. Last year I made 7310 in "viaticos" alone, and I am currently on 6590 for 2008, so it's pretty safe to say I will break last years mark with 2 months left before years end.

VONKLUFFEN
1st Nov 2008, 02:58
Please anyone knows where to aply for the job? I have been surfing Lan www site but it takes me nowhere. Thanks.
Alguien me pordria decir donde aplicar para el trabajo?
Gracias

cosmiccomet
1st Nov 2008, 17:03
My dear friend, you can send your resume to LAN Peru to the following email,

[email protected]

and for LAN Chile is,

[email protected]

It seems that LPE is holding the expat recruitment in favor of the local pilots.

Anyway, you can send the CV and see what happens.

The Dominican
1st Nov 2008, 18:11
it's not being conformist, it's just reality.

I've been flying for 26 years most of them in Latin America so I know a thing or two about costs of living there, I also realize that besides all of those "rose colored glasses" reasons you posted, the simple fact is that aircraft financing, insurance, fuel, maintenance costs are the same wether you will operate in Lima or Mogadishu, Lan doesn't charge their passengers half of what AA does, do they? I will bet that in some routes they are even more expensive than AA. They pay those salaries because people accept them, but the share holders love for you to think that way

SPANIARD75
6th Nov 2008, 20:47
Does Anyone Have A Contact Number Or Email With Lan Peru. I Am Trying To Apply But I Cant Find Anything.
Thank You.

felisteto
6th Nov 2008, 23:22
The post 61 have the answer........just 2 post above...!!!:ugh:

flyvargas
18th Nov 2008, 13:57
Per HR: hiring has been frozen until further notice. Don't know if this is for both FO and DEC. Expected to resume next yr. OW, could you chime in and shed some light on this? I thought you guys were short of people. Regards.

FlyingOW
18th Nov 2008, 18:16
FlyV,

Spot on, latest word on the "street" is just that, frozen or postponed, but not cancelled for now. KIAD was scheduled for Jan, a date had even been set, but now the rumours are for Ops to begin sometime in April.

This equates to about a 3 month delay initially, which by the way is just about as long as the Boeing employee strike. No doubt this affected delivery of the last few hulls to the 767 fleet. One could also suspect (given the current economic climate and starting an ops in the dead of winter to an unfamiliar airport) that it wouldn't be completely prudent to do so at this point in time. Coincidentally, I was told that my command course was also being delayed 3 months give or take.

My understanding is that the company is still in need of expat Captains and experienced FOs with view to early commands given the projected growth for 2009. Low time expat FOs apparently aren't needed, because there are still some salvageable pilots in the local market. However, a recent lowering of required minimums for internal upgrades may see a reduction in required expat numbers on a whole. Re recruitment, my guess would be to expect them to be back on track come March or April.

Internal rumours are rampant of the incoporation of either A340 or A330 for LPE and XL MAD routes, currently served by the limited B763ER, since Boeing announced further delays for the B787.

Saludos,

OW

PS: Has your start date been postoned? I figured you were on a course by now...............

dannyjet
20th Nov 2008, 18:13
This confirms what is happenning in LANCh. Exactly the same thing...

Rumour says there might be a call in January and if not; March or April. I sent an email yesterday to see if I could get a more exact month were there might be a call just so I can prepare and organize myself work-wise during the summer for the next 6 or so months.

Cheers,

Daniel Unda

Curioso
11th Dec 2008, 06:29
Congratulations Tangalanga,

My name is Enrique Curioso and I have always dreamed of being a commercial pilot. I am originally from Peru and immigrated to the United States at 18 yrs of age, I am now 33yrs old and would like to start my flight training with the intentions of one day work for LAN Peru. I did graduate from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in 2005. What is your experience like with LAN and do you believe there is the chance that I could get hired with minimum hours and a commercial license.

Please let me know.

Enrique Curioso

777RamAirTurbine
13th Dec 2008, 18:09
Enrique...
It’s all nice that you introduce yourself like this, but in forums you do NOT identify yourself by names or phone numbers or any other form of ID. This is for your own safety as you open doors to identity fraud. (You don’t leave your credit card number here, why would you give out your real name…?) :}

Concerning flying in Peru it is like flying anywhere in the world. LAN is a company like many others in the world; it has its Pro's as it has it Con's.

As OW and FV were explaining, LP has temporarily stopped hiring and upgrades. My source in LP explained that this might last till February or even until June. As the economic crisis is taking shape and manefesting itself more and more in S. America the same that is happening in Asia and Europe will happen on the Southern Continent, so be patient. Also, just because a company is hiring does not mean they will take you, so have alternatives. Don’t place all your Easter-eggs in one Easter-basket.

Now, concerning minimum hours, ANY company in the world wants one thing and that is personnel with experience. In the language of the airlines that means flight hours. The more flight time, the better you are off being reviewed and asked for an interview. The interview is something else you need to prepare for. That is something the pilots here in the forum might be able to help you out with.

I personally agree with friends who exclaim that this is not the right time to get hired, but to stop wasting time applying and continue educating yourself for the future. Economies come in waves and we’re on the flip side of this wave. The more you have certified, the more you know, the better you are off later on and the easier it is to compete with someone in the same position as you. Once things look better you will find your job, perhaps not with LP, but they are just one fish in a huge pond. You also have the possibility to work in the U.S. which helps a lot. There are a lot of small regional carriers opening here. Also you might want to take a look into Corporative flight operations.

So, all the best and good luck!

T-6
1st Jan 2009, 20:06
Dear all,

Any news about new hires for 2009 and captain upgrades?

Happy new year!

Nutforflying
5th Jan 2009, 02:16
Hello all!
I am new to the forum, and do not worry, I will not post my credit card number or ss for that matter... := However, I want to thank all of you for keeping this forum updated!
So, I flew back to Peru in the summer this year and on my layover in MIA I got to talk to the captain of my flight.. he really encouraged me to apply to LP. Unfortunately, at that time I had nothing prepared. Anyway, on my way back, I put something together and e-mailed it to Ms. Ojara. I have not gotten any words from her. I guess that is not a good sign. I am what you can call a low-time pilot (alittle over 1100TT) with quite a bit of Multi-time, but no jet or turbo-prop.

I have put something together now, (perhaps a much better looking resume) and I am about to send it again... Any word of advise from you all experienced pilots?

thanks in advance. and Happy New Year to all!

flyvargas
5th Jan 2009, 15:54
maybe OW can give you a better number on the flt time reqd but i'm almost certain 1100 TT is not gonna cut it unless: you are peruvian or pacto andino and live in Peru. But a better source will be OW. By the way, hiring frozen till further notice. i'm sure you know, nobody hiring in US except for some commuters. try Great Lakes, crappy pay,equp. but great experience. Good luck.

Nutforflying
5th Jan 2009, 18:08
Thanks, FlyVargas.
I know my time is low, I am gaining experience here in the USA. I am Peruvian. For what I am reading in the Forum, understand hiring frozen. One thing I would like to know is also the environmet in the company. I have the feeling that people are happy to work for LAN. Is that true for all who are in the the Forum and work for LP?

Thanks again!

FlyingOW
5th Jan 2009, 19:57
Nut,

FlyV is correct, hiring is frozen ufn, it would seem at least until mid year or thereabouts. KIAD starts in June apparently and this should jumpstart recruitment again. I believe that with your hours you would stand a good chance of getting hired, assuming you pass all phases of the selection process. You could improve your odds considerably if you were to apply as a Peruvian and with the corresponding DGAC tickets.

Conversion is really easy, and can be done in a couple of days while in Lima. (Medical, CPL & ATPL Theory and quite a few 100 soles later should get you fully licensed!) One word of caution: the DGAC will want evidence of your total time for your new Peruvian logbook. So you need to bring a letter from the flight school/ chief pilot/ airline that clearly states your hours flown and have this legalised/certified. Otherwise they might only consider the hours logged during training (those are signed by your CFI), and recognise much less TT on the first page of your new logbook!

I brought 2 binders worth of copies of receipts issued by the flight school I instructed at for over a year, and got fulll recognition of all my flight time!

Saludos,

OW

Nutforflying
5th Jan 2009, 21:09
OW,
Thanks for the heads up. I shall start preparing all the required paperwork for hour recognition. Are the tests taken in Lima similar to the ones we find in Gleim? Just wondering how to prepare for that... I get really nervous in tests... but flight is not a problem, though, just the written ones.

Cheers.

FlyingOW
6th Jan 2009, 14:03
Hi,

The peruvian test bank is a FAA test bank, just translated into spanish, rather poorly I must say. This sometimes can be a bit confusing when doing the exam! The CPL theory is the same as the US one, but the ATP has 100 questions and includes both 121 and 135 test banks! You will have to take both writtens, CPL to convert and ATP to legaly fly in an airline in Peru.

Also take the ICAO English Proficiency exam while at the DGAC (written test and oral evaluation), level 6 should not be a problem for you!

Good luck!

OW

flyvargas
6th Jan 2009, 16:20
IAD is a fairly easy airport to get in/out of. You'll enjoy it. Watch out for nasty TS in summer though as there isn't many good alternates to go to when the lines go thru.Hopefully you'll be at the hotel by then :)

MDT06
7th Jan 2009, 00:05
Flyvargas,

If you don't mind telling me, what do you mean by the pacto andino in post #72 and do I have to be living in Peru to be elegible if I'm not Peruvian. I'm Colombian.

Thank you,

MDT

Nutforflying
7th Jan 2009, 15:26
T06,
"La Comunidad Andina" or "Pacto Andino" is formed by most of the south american countries, of which Colombia is one of them. For more info about LP, OW will have to answer.

OW, does LP give you bonus for referrals? if not, they should... You would get a big bonus. :ok: I sent you a PM with some questions. I would really appreciate your insight.

Cheers.

T-6
17th Jan 2009, 08:39
:::: Aeronoticias.com.pe, Transporte Aéreo, Turismo, Comercio Exterior, Tranporte Marítimo - LAN AUMENTA SU FLOTA PARA PERU CON CUATRO AVIONES MAS (http://www.aeronoticias.com.pe/noticiero/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2018&Itemid=1)

Any news from inside??

FlyingOW
20th Jan 2009, 15:16
The latest at LAN:

2 out of 4 hulls cancelled,
most upgrades postponed ufn,
no new recruitment ufn,
the Chileans are looking to offload their surplus staff onto sister companies instead of furloughing them!

Looks like the credit crunch might finally be reaching Latin America!

dannyjet
20th Jan 2009, 19:08
the Chilenians are looking to offload their surplus staff onto sister companies instead of furloughing them!

Close or similar from what I heard yesterday from a friend who was told by a good source... that basically; here in Chile they are at an operational capacity but not to a point where they will lay off pilots, but give extended rest periods.

With this I sense that the rumour among pilots in Chile of a possible hiring process in March is far from happening. It looks like it will more likely be the second semester of 2009. Just like the economic crisis, which in Chile is expected to just begin to get better by the end of the present year.

Gotta keep waiting, saludos!

flyvargas
13th Feb 2009, 02:07
I read that a few days ago the pilots at Lan Chile signed a new contract. Is the pay better or what are the improvements? OW, is the pay still better at LP? What's the latest on hiring?

SW_US
2nd Mar 2009, 01:28
Any hiring updates?

leondelfierro
3rd Mar 2009, 01:54
What i know from Lan Chile (Santiago Based) "inside" infomation is that by 2009 would be No Hiring in any area, i mean Flight Crew, Cabin Crew, ground staff, etc...
Economics @ Lan are in great shape, but they're just being cautious with the crisis. I was told to expect news by the december '09 -Jan'10, Anyway they will still hire some few lucky to cover retirements or resign, but this spots are covered commonly by experienced pilots coming from the Air Force since they already have the chilean licences, plus there's a small to medium airline here in Santiago, that went out of bussiness couple of months ago so quite a few qualified pilots wandering around.
All what i know by now, if i get some news i'll post it here... probably in Peru the situation must be close to this too.

FlyingOW
11th Jun 2009, 23:19
Latest info on recruitment:

6 FO's (A320) were recruited 2 months ago and are currently all in sim training in SCL, however there were no DECs. Longtime serving FO (5+ yrs) have now meet the minimum experience requirements for upgrade. So far this year 6 FOs have been promoted to Captain. I believe we may have seen the end of DECs in LPE!

Despite one of the worst environments for airlines in decades LAN Peru is still growing! Proof:

Daily flights to Cajamarca and Tumbes started at beginning of year.
Daily flights to Cartagena recently inaugurated last month.
As of June 23rd, daily flights to Madrid (up from 3)
And 2 more intl destinations to be scheduled (1 next month) before years end.

Saludos,

OW

N2257F
15th Jun 2009, 08:58
any word at LPE regarding expat FO's. im not very optimistic at this point, just curious what happened to those who interviewed in miami last summer?

dannyjet
15th Jun 2009, 17:52
I wish the counter part in Chile were as good as LPE.

Heading090
15th Jun 2009, 20:58
Just as general INFO, I have had an interview with LAN group few months ago, and I never heard anything from them after the interview. I decided to call the person who contacted me, and she said that LAN group had decided to freeze all the hiring process due to current global situation, nevertheless they will contact all the previously interviewed pilots if the need for it would arise.

keep the blue side up...!!!!! :ok:

FlyingOW
25th Jun 2009, 03:03
H090,
Which LAN were you interviewed by? LAN, LXP, LPE, XL, DSM, LCO, etc........

N2257F,
Expat FOs? Not willing to go out on a limb, but I feel there still might be a chance for expat FOs. Suppport pilots have already come from down South (for both fleets), so they will need to be replaced eventuallly as and when they are needed back in SCL.

May I suggest a follow up email or phone call, stating/renewing your continued interest in joining LPE.

Best of luck,

OW

Heading090
27th Jun 2009, 21:14
Hey Flying Ow, Check Your Pm...

Take Care...