PDA

View Full Version : Interview Tec Questions

technician
30th Jan 2008, 16:56
Surfing the various threads last week I saw several posts re tech questions coming in recent interviews. Such things as 'coffins corner' and swept wings.

Burning some midnight oil last night I was unable to find these posts, despite doing a search. Were these questions under the Ryan Air ints? The whole episode has been merged. Can someone steer me to what I was looking at previously? Thanks.

papa_petje
30th Jan 2008, 17:01
1 word: Ace the Technical Pilot Interview (http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Pilot-Interview-Gary-Bristow/dp/0071396098/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201715996&sr=8-1) by Gary v. Bristow :)

You can buy @ Amazon.com

Cypres
31st Jan 2008, 06:46
Three Words:

Full Of Errors

Be Careful using this book, it's a useful tool for revision but it can lead you down the garden path.......

to quantify - approx 5% is pure nonsense (just plane wrong) and some answers given are the exact opposite of the correct answer.

the rest of the answers vary from bland to really quite good.

Try searching using "ACE" for some of the biggest howlers posted to date

sirvival
1st Feb 2008, 15:37
Cypres:

You mind to give some examples what stuff is wrong in the book??

Thank you!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
1st Feb 2008, 16:12
Sirvival, unless its been revised, have a look at the lift formula, and tell me what you think. Its on page 4.

r2_unit
1st Feb 2008, 18:33
CAT3C AUTOLAND,

Totally agree fella - his explanation of a drag curve and esp what happens when you get onto the wrong side of it also has the faintest whiff of bullsh1t to it.

I found it useful for reminding me of ground school stuff i'd learned and dumped. But i'd always back up any new research with an independant source - like your ground school notes.

r2

sirvival
2nd Feb 2008, 06:19
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Cheeezz, you are right. ...Great book, starting already with HUGE mistakes on the very first pages. :=

Any suggestion(s) on (a) book(s) with the same intent: passing the technical interview ???

Thanx

Cypres
2nd Feb 2008, 23:12
What did I tell you.......

Some of the answers look like they were compiled by someone who knew another guy who had once bumped into a pilot in the pub.

VFE
4th Feb 2008, 15:14
One hopes you guys who purchased said book from amazon and the like have fed back these observations so that future purchasers may avoid the mistake of buying this book?

Errors in technical books, like most people here, bug the hell outa me! Begs the question who (if anyone) vets the process? Is there a regulatory body in the publishing world who could stop me releasing a book filled with bunkum aimed at the professional flying community tomorrow should I be capable? Seems not if this book is anything to go by...

VFE.