PDA

View Full Version : Bad weather planning

Senior Pilot
30th Jan 2008, 10:15
With severe weather forecast for the north of the UK in 2 days (-6C Friday night for the Highlands, 20cm of snow), are any Rotorheads involved in contingency planning?

I suspect some Northern North Sea operations may be affected, what about SAR/Police operations planning ahead?

Or do we follow the good old tried and tested "it'll be OK on the night" ;)

Fortyodd2
30th Jan 2008, 13:17
Sorry, can you expand a bit on "Police operations planning ahead".
It's not a phrase I'm familiar with...............

Bertie Thruster
30th Jan 2008, 13:22
you are... but in a different context....

the Sunday full fry up is always planned!

Fortyodd2
30th Jan 2008, 13:38
Not so much planned as a scheduled test of the smoke alarm!!! :D

ShyTorque
30th Jan 2008, 15:17
And the bathroom scales!

MightyGem
31st Jan 2008, 19:52
We're usually over MAUM after ours. :oh:

Senior Pilot
1st Feb 2008, 01:10
I must confess that this is the sort of thing I was talking about, but I guess thread creep is an inevitable fact of life here :p

(Just a little cyclonic low?)

http://www.waw.net.au/gallery/d/1847-1/Vis200801311221ms.jpg

ShyTorque
1st Feb 2008, 07:40
Not sure how old that milk in your tea actually is, but judging by that picture the yucky stuff floating on top, I think it's gone off. ;)

EESDL
1st Feb 2008, 13:41
Came into work after cancelling the days flying to tie the factory forklift to the hangar door, along with a minibus, artic truck, pick-up.......etc etc

2nd Feb 2008, 06:22
I've seen that zebra somewhere.........

Senior Pilot - other than taking the phone off the hook and hoping the ARCCK don't notice, you pretty much take it as it comes. It very much depends on the job and how life threatening the casualties condition/situation is. If you can get the hangar doors open and get the aircraft onto dispersal, then you just have to decide if it is safe to start the rotors.

The thread on the ferry rescue shows that some will always ignore the forecast for financial gain (truckers again) - fortunately Valley, Prestwick and the Irish CG (I think) didn't have their phones off the hook.

I have sat on shift with the wind howling, convinced someone would get into trouble but nothing happened - you just don't sleep very well:)

Fly_For_Fun
2nd Feb 2008, 13:39
Some good movies on TV, so stay at home is my advice.

inmate
2nd Feb 2008, 15:02
Hang on chaps let me get the trucks on and find my sunglasses. Minus 6 eh, wow:p
As we speak praying the temp will drop another 3 degrees to minus 40 C so I can cancell or have a late start to a very short day.

Stay warm guys in the old sod,long johns,bunny boots and lots of coffee. Nothing like sitting on top of a repeater site shut down and trying to stay warm. Ah the joys of aviation.