PDA

View Full Version : Gen Nav ATPL Help

jetman12
29th Jan 2008, 21:14
I'm about 3 weeks into my first set of ATPL's but finding Gen nav very hard and seem to be concentrating just on that. I was wondering if any1 could give me information about how many hours to revise and did you hav similar problems? Thanks

acuba 290
29th Jan 2008, 23:00
what books you use for study?

G SXTY
30th Jan 2008, 08:13
General nav. is for the enthusiast. I'm sure half the questions were thought up by a bitter and twisted old navigator with a grudge against pilots.

Is there anything in particular that's giving you problems?

Keith.Williams.
30th Jan 2008, 13:14
"a bitter and twisted old navigator with a grudge against pilots"

Doesn't that include all navigators??

looptheloop
30th Jan 2008, 14:10
I posted a similar thread a week or two ago, i have PM'ed you with the details i found from various helpful people. Good Luck!

jetman12
30th Jan 2008, 15:18
thanks alot

captain_rossco
30th Jan 2008, 15:24
I have found rotating valium and caffeine to be a great help this lat week of revision, okay it's a bit High then Low, but the mood swings keep you alert and on your toes.

Happy revising

Captain Convergency (Oh f**k, maybe its Captain conversion angle, oh bugger, where's me books)

:ok:

lc_aerobatics
30th Jan 2008, 16:08
Good calculator and knowing how to use it will get you a lot of questions.

I started my Distance Learning in August and last week I finished all my exams , I was doing about 2-3 hours on average, every evening plus 4-5 hours on weekends , also two weeks break over xmas.

:ok:

Irish_Stu
30th Jan 2008, 17:26
That's pretty good going mr. aerobatics! Which school did you go with and would you recommend it? I take it you were doing a full time job at the same time?

Thanks,
Stu

acuba 290
30th Jan 2008, 18:46
@looptheloop
why PM? i would also like to have any kind of tipps)))

darekw
31st Jan 2008, 09:31
Gen Nav is the most diff. subject and you will spend many hours going over it. However do not desper. What I did and I'm talking of course about JAA ATPL course is to subscribe to aviationexam.com and you will find all the questions you can expect during exams. Each question will have working answer so you will quickly learn how things are done.
Hope it helps.

lc_aerobatics
31st Jan 2008, 11:02
"That's pretty good going mr. aerobatics! Which school did you go with and would you recommend it? I take it you were doing a full time job at the same time?

Thanks,
Stu "

Yep, I was full time 9-17:30 monday to friday, I did my course with a school called Royal Star in Poland, I can recommend them.

likair
18th Dec 2008, 00:18
I have a question that may sound a little dumb....

in one of the gnav question, to convert from NM to hours, /480 was used. Why?

To make it more clear, 1200NM was divided by 480 to convert it into 2.5 hours.

sion22
18th Dec 2008, 07:19
strange calculation
looks like something is missed out

don't remember anything like it when i did GNAV

post all the question if you can

NickGooseBrady
18th Dec 2008, 09:23
Oh how I am loving Gen Nav!! Exam in Feb and slowly getting there! My biggest top tip is put down your course books and go straight to the Bristol GS Question Bank. Start from question 0 and go through all 568 questions time and time again until you are nailing them.

On the questions that you cannot do then go into the books and figure out why you couldn't do it, what you need to do and understand how it works. Next time you get that question or one like it you will have a better chance of getting it right. Do this over and over again and you will start building confidence and before you know it the exam will be a doddle!

After you have nailed all 568 questions start doing mock exams. I am on this stage at the moment and getting anywhere between 77%-95%. Just about to start another couple of mocks for today's work.

If you get really, really stuck and you just cannot work out how the answer was derived then this is the time to go back to your school and ask the question. You are paying them after all.

I found this approach work for all my phase one exams and I got an average of 98% across all 7 exams.

Good luck. If you have any specific snags feel free to PM me as I will be working on Nav until this Saturday when I plan a weeks break!

Cheers

NGB:ok:

Nearly There
18th Dec 2008, 10:40
To make it more clear, 1200NM was divided by 480 to convert it into 2.5 hours.

If 1200nm is your distance to go and 480knts is your ground speed, then 2.5hrs is the correct answer...

clanger32
18th Dec 2008, 10:57
NGB,
be very, VERY careful just doing the Bristol QB.....Gen Nav is the one subject where it probably doesn't help that much.

The approach you mention does (more or less) work for the other 13, but you stand a real chance of coming unstuck in Gen Nav. The problem is that the bristol QB doesn't really come up that often in the papers...they always seem to make subtle changes to catch the unwary.

Heed the warning, Gen Nav is frequently cited as the one exam you CANNOT 'just' Bristol.

The best top tip for it that you will get, is to get to know - and love - your CRP5. Knowing how to use that, quickly and correctly, will save you more heartache than I can tell you...

NickGooseBrady
18th Dec 2008, 12:04
Clanger, I probably wasn't very clear. I do not mean learn the questions in the QB, I mean learn the question types and know how to answer them. If you get one Lamberts Conformal question with one set of figures and you know the mechanics of how to work the answer out then you should be able to do it with another set of figures.

I agree just memorising the actual questions in the QB would be pointless but then practising how to answer the type of questions is priceless (well £50 for 3 months anyway :O).

And I just Lurrrve my CRP5 and my calculator with the handy degrees and minutes function.

Cheers

clanger32
18th Dec 2008, 12:32
Ah, ok....that doesn't sound so bad....again tho, just be careful because if you do the questions over and over, inevitably you will get to the point where you can just click (A) because you know it's right.....Gen Nav is an absolute bar steward, in that they will change some of the numbers a little bit but leave the original answer in.

Thoroughly glad that lots all over with now. not so glad I'm finished with all my training, with no job to go to right now. Still, at least I had a cast iron backup plan and am back in me old job again...

NickGooseBrady
18th Dec 2008, 13:11
Indeed! I have decided to go back to my old job post ATPLs and do the CPL/IR part time at a snails pace. It will be a bugger for continuity but at least I wont be finishing in a rush with nothing to go to, and this way I stay debt free.

Good luck chap!

21st Dec 2008, 10:47
Don't get too hung up with Grid Navigation and Polar Stereograph questions early on in the course. I did and wasted a lot of time. If you are finding them tough to crack, just move on and re-visit them at a later date.

By the time you go back to them, you will probably have completed a lot more of the Gen Nav material and they will become a lot clearer. Incidentally, there wasn't a single question on Grid Navigation and Polar Stereograph in my exam.

The same goes for pretty much anything that you are struggling with and remember you can always make use of the instructors/forums for DL courses.

A lot of people find Gen Nav tough early on, so don't get too down about it.

Good luck!

GIZZAJOB
22nd Dec 2008, 16:21
Matey , I did full time course and gen nav was a twxt from day one never understood a word, Worked like a biatch at it first time and like a lot of other people I got 74% which believe me is a bastard!
I then only had Gnav to take and studying for the one exam is so much easier I passed with 95% 2nd time .
Despite previous advice to the contrary this was solely down to using the BGS QB . Not learning answers but learning how to answer the questions on it , If you can answer them all , and believe me they are not actually that hard you will ace the exam .
About 200 questions on it are either CRP/5 and chart questions which are not difficult and can be bypssed once you got them sorted making only 350 ish you need to work at it . Take away the annex symbol questions and you narrow it donw even more . You can then cope with learning how to do the specific questions that cause you grief .
Gen nav is a classic " Training is harder than exam "
Learning how to do specific questions will stand you in good stead , and dont let anyone tell oyu that a greater understanding is needed , I hav enever even heard of polar stereographic since except when the butt of jokes at the Navs and CAA;s expense and there is a lot more just like that .
Good Luck whichever way you study