PDA

View Full Version : RAF worries

Culio
29th Jan 2008, 20:45
Hello all,

Right, I'm just your typical wannabe. I want to join the RAF and fly. Just like everyone else lol.

All I want to do is fly, I don't care whether it's fast jet, rotary or multi-engine, I just want to fly...

It's just I've read all there is to read and still seem a bit lost about one thing. If anyone can answer this question, I'd be extremely grateful :)

1) How hard is it to actually get in the RAF as a pilot? An honest, no bulls**t answer is appreciated :)

Like on a ratio of people applying and people actually getting in and stuff or something like that.

Also, I'm reaching the stage where I have to choose my A-Levels. I am not, however, considering Physics. I am told however that Physics is recommended for an aviation career. How important would you say it is to have a physics A-Level.

If you need it, here is some of my info:

- I am choosing Maths for A level.
- My science results for GCSE so far are very good.
- I play three sports, rugby, football and badminton. I also do a fair bit of running.
- My eyesight is excellent.

Thanks for taking time to read this post, I'm sure I am just one of the millions of wannabe's but I seriously do want this....

Alex :)

rleungz
29th Jan 2008, 22:15
http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/pilot.cfm

Ring up your local AFCO for more information mate.

Theres lots of threads on this and a whole section on Military Aircrew on this forum.

Anyway, you have to think is the RAF right for you. Really you want to be thinking Officer first, Pilot second.
Plus, even before you can fly you have to pass your filter interview and OASC and 32 weeks of Officer training.

Ric

Culio
29th Jan 2008, 23:09
I've read all there is to read on the RAF website thanks mate.

And I can't get to the AFCO at the moment, it's closed for renovation or something :*

Dan Winterland
30th Jan 2008, 06:46
Those A levels are fine. I had Geography, History and English Lit - and not even a Physics O level. The only science knowledge you will need going through RAF pilot training can be covered by GCSE maths. And then that's a bit advanced!

You want to be a pilot, but you tell them that you want to be an officer first, hen a pilot. that's what they want to hear. And you want to be a Typhoon pilot. Any expression of interest in flying anything that's big and slow or hovers shows les than the required determination.

There's a lot of competition for the few places. So, learn as much as you can about the RAF, keep up with current affairs and have lots of interests that show that you're not some PS3 playing couch potato. And starting a PPL (or even better, gliding) shows some keeness to fly.

Good luck.

Culio
30th Jan 2008, 22:09
Thats exactly what I wanted to hear mate, thanks a lot :D