PDA

View Full Version : CRP5...faulty model?

fabiensf
29th Jan 2008, 11:31
Hi all,

I just bought Pooley's CRP5 online but the rotating window is stubbornly hard to rotate, it turns but with considerable force. Was just wondering if there was something wrong with it or maybe I'm just too accustomed to the E6B?

Nozwaldo
29th Jan 2008, 11:37
Have you tried loosening the screws?

fabiensf
29th Jan 2008, 11:42
No, looked through instructions for any reference to screws but there wasn't any, had also emailed customer support asking them if that's what I need to do but they kind of ignored my question & just told me to send it in for a replacement.

I suppose it's worth a try.

Bearing 123
29th Jan 2008, 12:16
I had one like that years ago. A very wise old grissled ground instructor told me to raid my girlfriends cosmetics drawer and nick some talc powder. I just shook a bit on.........(The CRP5 that is):= and it worked a treat.

No joke apart from every body thought I had a drug problem in the class room the next day as every time I spun the wheel there was a cloud of white dust:) It really does work :ok:

shortleg
29th Jan 2008, 12:25
Talc definitely works - just don't choose a heavily perfumed one!:O

outside_loop
29th Jan 2008, 12:27
its not you - the crp 5 is poorly built. Most of the ones i've seen have been gash for one reason or another. I don’t think pooleys have any quality control despite the 70 quid asking price - my old aluminium one cost a fraction of that and worked perfectly.

you can try a bit of talcum power to free it up. don’t be tempted to put grease on it - if you do, it will work like a dream for about two days until it gets caked in fluff!:} or just send it back with a snotty letter! :ok:

kwachon
29th Jan 2008, 13:32
The talc does work and use a really perfumed one, makes the cockpit smell like last night.......:E:E:E

fabiensf
29th Jan 2008, 13:59
:ok: sorted! thanks for the tips! Must say, was expecting better workmanship for £57!

mad_jock
29th Jan 2008, 20:37
To be fair to Bob his replys from his customer services are short and sweet but they never seem to argue about replacing stuff.

I lost a screw from mine and emailed them asking about a replacement.

The reply was along the lines of

Dear Sir

Whats your address?

Two days later 4 screws turned up in the post free of charge. With no reply to the returned email with my address. I have heard of people managing to snap the board scraping the ice off the car window and getting a free replacement and a wind screen scrapper as well as a cheeky note.

chrisbl
31st Jan 2008, 12:19
They are poor quality and offers to replace them are no excuse for the poor quality.

acuba 290
10th Feb 2008, 19:53
i have the same problem now. Do i need to open those 4 screws or put powder under the rotating part with red line?

Hmmm...for £73.99 they must be...you know what i mean :)

corsair
11th Feb 2008, 00:15
No, looked through instructions for any reference to screws but there wasn't any
No screws? Surely they all have screws.Is there a newer model?
http://www.transair.co.uk/images/flightcomps/crp5.jpg

Believe it or not. I got through all my exams with a CRP-1.

acuba 290
11th Feb 2008, 13:47
how it works only with CRP-1?

fabiensf
11th Feb 2008, 22:15
It's got the 4 screws, just no reference to the screws in the manual. Was hesitant to loosen them as I thought it would all come apart, but turns out it was just what it needed!