PDA

View Full Version : Do I require A visa?

frert
29th Jan 2008, 10:06
I've been getting conflicting information of the pprune archive and other sites, aswell as from training centres in South Africa.

Some are saying I require a study visa to train for a PPL and ask for a fee to process it, while other say I do not. They say a visa is only required for CPL training.

I am interested in training with AlgoaFC in Port Elizabeth, because they seem to be the cheapest. Below is their reply when I asked this question:

"One last thing, will I need to apply for a visa? Some schools in South Africa say I do and ask me to pay them a fee to process it, but the information you sent says I do not so long as I leave before 3 months has elapsed. Definitely do not require a visa for a holiday. You would only need a study visa if you were doing a CPL which lasts more than 3 months."

As you can see, they say "holiday." Technically I will not be going for a holiday but to train for the PPL. Are they trying to get me to enter under false pretense. (ILLEGALLY).

Could someone please clear this up for me. I will be travelling to South Africa with an Irish passport, will I need a study visa?

kwachon
29th Jan 2008, 10:27
You do not say where you are from but this might help.

Who requires a visa?
Nationals of the following countries may not require visas for stays of up to 90 days:

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Ballwick of Guernsey, Belgium, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Chile, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, N. Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Malta, Isle of Mann, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Portugal, Spain, St Helena, Sweden, Swaziland, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uruguay and Venezuela.

It is highly recommended to contact the nearest Consulate for specific information on visa requirements that may be applicable to you.

What documents will be required?
A Confirmation of Acceptance by the educational institution concerned, as well as details regarding accommodation arrangements.
Proof of financial self-support
A return ticket
A doctor's medical statement
Medical health insurance
A letter of motivation setting out reasons why study at a South African educational institution is desired.

For work permits:
Official letter of employment from South African company stating salary and position.

For business visas:
Letter from employer.

Note:
In the case of failure to comply with any of these regulations, visitors may be required to leave a cash deposit with the Immigration Officer

frert
29th Jan 2008, 10:48
I'm from N.Ireland but travel using an Irish passport, not a uk one.

I'm phning the embassy to clarify this. Didn't want to because it cost 1 pound a minute.

Gooneybird
29th Jan 2008, 12:11
Call the SA embassy nearest to you http://www.dfa.gov.za/foreign/sa_abroad/sau.htm which won't cost a pound a minute.

If you read kwachon's post properly you'd have seen that N. Ireland is on the list of visa free countries.

A PPL is considered a recreational activity much like scuba diving so it's still a holiday.

I'm phning the embassy to clarify this. Didn't want to because it cost 1 pound a minute.

You should ALWAYS call the appropriate embassy rather than relying on information from anonymous forums or flight schools; it'll save you a lot more than a few pounds.

Other than that enjoy PE.

alpha-b
29th Jan 2008, 15:12
Hi folks.If u just want to do ur ppl u don't need a study visa just a visitor is enough but Irish citizen don't need visa for south africa when they stay for 90 days or less.Cheers

frert
29th Jan 2008, 15:31
I'm from N.Ireland but our government does not have the power to issue passports. We can either travel on a British or Republic of Ireland passport. I travel on the Irish one, which is not on the list above. (I did read the post properly.)

Calls do cost $1 a minute if you want to speak to someone.

The pre-recorded message about visas is charged at local rate.

I phoned the embassy and cleared this up.

For anyone else with the same problem, here is what I was told.

When travelling on an Irish passport for training in South Africa, all that will be required is a letter from your training academy stating course to be studied, cost and length of course. You must have this letter when you are entering the country as you may be asked for it.

biggdav
30th Jan 2008, 01:36
Hey,
Ive been traveling in and out of SA doing my CPL in Jo-berg for over a year with holiday permit and no problems. Immigration ask how long im on holiday, stamp the book and im off. I travel in and out with UK pass, you will be fine with the Irish.

Woof etc
30th Jan 2008, 05:01
Agreed. Just tell the nice man at immigration that you are on holiday (which you are) and that's that.

If you start asking questions at gov departments you going to start getting a hundred different answers from people that dont know what they are talking about.

Irishwingz
30th Jan 2008, 06:33
You DO NOT need a study visa to do a PPL in SA.

I went there at the end of 2003 and entered on a tourist visa on an Irish passport which was valid for 3 months. So long as you get your PPl done within 3 months you will be fine. The good people at Algoa will help you get it done well inside of that time frame, it took me 4 weeks.

Get out there and enjoy the flying, sunshine and Gremlins bar.....:E

Irv
30th Jan 2008, 09:20
You don't need a visa for just ppl level flying in SA, just like you wouldn't need a visa if you'd decided to go there for some scuba diving course, private flying is 'holiday', but if you're that worried about it you'll have to phone the embassy, but then the answer from them is going to depend on the exact words you use in your question to them! If you phone to ask, just keep it straight and simple. If you say this is 'module one' of many in your grand business plan to run an airline, I can see they might think twice, but PPL flying for PPL flying's sake has always been 'holiday'

What you DO need is a whole blank page in your passport for their entry stamp. They have refused entry to someone frequent world traveller without a whole page blank, even though there was room for the stamp. You'll probably be expected to have 6 months validity on your passport too, although you might get away with 3 (another question for the embassy if that applies).

You'll enjoy PE and Algoa

Gooneybird
30th Jan 2008, 10:16
Oh yeah, and if you've been anywhere with yellow fever or are routing via anywhere with yellow fever, you'll need a yellow fever vaccination card too.

Leezyjet
30th Jan 2008, 14:01
Yep, visa definately NOT required for PPL in SA. 99.9% of the time, at the immigration desk in Joburg, they don't even speak to you. They just stick the temp residents permit in, scan it into the computer and automatically give you 90 days.

Algoa are one of the oldest, if not the oldest flying training organisations in South Africa. They WILL NOT do anything to get you there illegally. Rest assured they get students from all over the world going there to train, so they do know what is required and what isn't. You will have a great time whilst your down there. Anywhere where the beer is 75p a bottle you are sure to have fun. :}

Also what Irv said about the blank page is very important, many many people where I work get refused travel before they even leave the UK because of that !!.

When you going to Algoa ?. I'll be down there again 2nd/3rd week in Feb.

:ok:

timberwolf
30th Jan 2008, 22:22
Ditto on that - No visa required for PPL if done within 90 days.

Enjoy PE - Very friendly people ;)

frert
31st Jan 2008, 10:50
Leezyjet,

Was hoping to go at the start of February but my passport never came in time. Asked if I could start at the end of February but they said they were very busy, so they asked if I could start on the 3rd March which I said was fine.

But after yesterday I may not be starting until the 3rd April. Was at court yesterday about a dispute with TravelRepublic and for the second time, since September 07, it was not heard and has been put off again until the 2nd April. So I'll have to wait until that's over before I can go.