PDA

View Full Version : what would do with 50K

che turner
29th Jan 2008, 09:06
Hello to all.

I have been on pprune for a long time now, and looking through all the threads over the years. I am going to embark on my pilot training in April this year. I have sold my house, so the money will be about 50K. But that will be for everything, living and training. I have looked in to the US and over here in the UK. I think that I’m going to go integrated.

But I need to ask scroggs or the administrator, if there is any way just to see the facts on search engine. or can you make a place for it.

What school?

How much?

Have you got a job after?

Then we can make up our minds on the facts, and then take into account what you all have to say about each school.

AlphaMale
29th Jan 2008, 10:24
These threads have been done before, they don't really work though.

One was started about 2 or 3 weeks ago, people who hold a fATPL and have had no luck finding jobs, some had been waiting 3 months and no joy and some had been waiting over 12 months with no joy?!? ... When I asked what 'job' was i.e. FI? Turbo Prop? Jet? ... The answer was Jet only.

People have different goals and methods of getting there. For me, working in aviation will make me very happy. Working as a FI for the rest of my days would make me a happy man - but deep down I'd like to fly a Jet. BizJet/Cargo/Airline whatever comes my way, they all have their own advantages and as long as you look at the bright side of life and make the most of what you have then you'll be happy.

There are people who were integrated at OAT and have not found jobs and then there are others who have gone modular via the US and have jobs.

It seems to me that the school isn't all that important. Having a personality and the confidence from the employer is a good start (like any other job), getting your foot in the door by networking and having your CV placed on top of the pile by an insider (pilot) is a good tactic too.

Keep researching before you blow your £50k+ though.

Good luck

Here is one thread to get you on your way.
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=308843 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=308843)

no sponsor
29th Jan 2008, 10:46
If you are going integrated, there are only a few schools open to you anyway, which are:

FTE in Spain
OATS in UK
Cabair in UK

Visit each one, and after their entry tests, you can then choose. I doubt 50K will be enough to cover it all.

Bear in mind too that the market is turning. Even for us experienced Jet pilots, the UK market is very saturated, and many in my airline who are looking to move are finding that their wings are feeling a bit 'clipped'.

Although I detest CTC for what they have done to the job market in the UK, by flooding it with young guys & gals who work for nothing for 6 months - which is why my fellow colleagues are finding it hard to move on - I think they should be included in your list.

dartagnan
29th Jan 2008, 11:19
what would do with 50K

give it to me!!!

Davina777
29th Jan 2008, 11:32
My plan was too do the PPL at whoever was cheapest at the time, followed by ground school at BCFT, after that to weigh up how much I had left and to use all the money available to go to the best school I could afford for the later stages.

My theory being that employers will look at where you did your professional flight training, rather than the preliminaries.

But then its always a :ugh: experience when choosing where to go.

HappyFran
29th Jan 2008, 11:42
Don't flip through to many schools. := Most (I think) airlines frown on students who have been to more than 2 FTO's. I am not sure, and doubt, that includes PPL.
Have you looked at Old Sarum (cheaper than BCFT) for your PPL and the Jetline course for the rest, they will give you a discount ! :O
Incidently I did PPL at BCFT and was very happy with the training, now doing Jetline programme
Good Luck :)

Bambe
29th Jan 2008, 12:54
Are you ready to be a Ryanair Pilot???? If so, go ahead, but choose the cheapest course as you'll have to pay for you TR..

Enjoy