PDA

View Full Version : Too young for integrated?

deltauniform
28th Jan 2008, 22:42
Hello all. Hope to get some thoughts off you.

I'm seriously considering an integrated course at Jerez or Oxford and one of the main things Im concerned about is my age. I will be 19 if I begin a course this year, and Im wondering if there are many students under 20 that are on these courses? Furthermore, at the end of training, are airlines known to show a bias towards "older" candidates over younger candidates? I know its probably a maturity thing, but have a suspicion some airlines frown on young candidates.

I would hope it would make no difference to the instructors on the course, but is there any frowning upon over younger students, or by other students themselves?

Also, are there many Irish pilots who choose these integrated courses around my age?

Finally, Ive been browsing through the FTE and OAT threads, but am still a bit unclear about the financial support they offer. Do they help you get a loan from the likes of your local branch by helping you with the likes of a business plan, or do they only support your fundraising if you go to their partnered banks?

I know the regulars here will probably frown upon this thread as the questions have been asked so many times, but I would appreciate some genuine feedback.

Thanks in advance,

DU.

Whirlygig
28th Jan 2008, 22:47
I suspect you're probably about the right age so go for it. I can't comment on the number of Irish students but is that a problem? Shouldn't be and won't be!

You've got one major advantage; you can write clearly and spell. And I'm not being facile.

Cheers

Whirls

adwjenk
28th Jan 2008, 23:30
Hi

deltauniform, check your PM's.

Wee Weasley Welshman
29th Jan 2008, 07:54
I was once an instructor at Jerez and recall the 17 yr old who arrived just in time to celebrate his 18th birthday on an Aer Lingus sponsorship.

Nobody will give a stuff how young you are. Its maturity that counts. If you avoid the pitfalls of the brothel the bar and the sunbathing and present yourself as keen, able and professional then you will be well respected by the staff at the school. Age has NOTHING to do with that.

Enjoy,

captain_rossco
29th Jan 2008, 07:56
Loads of sub 20's at oxford.

deltauniform
29th Jan 2008, 11:08
Thanks everybody for the replies and PMs.

Davina777
29th Jan 2008, 11:42
My parents live up the road from Jerez school, although I've only visited the school once, I would say a majority are mainly around 20-28's.. but I agree with WWW. my Instructor did all his training and became an FI AND clocked up 400hrs all within 18months of his 18th Birthday, he got onto the falcon's at Bournemouth Airport by the age of 19.. age is not against you when your young in avaition! - in my experience.

QFcaptain
29th Jan 2008, 14:11
Deltauniform

that's why I gets twisted, so I can't feel it when it hits me.

That's all that matters for success in Aviation.Don't forget that.

Markos.
29th Jan 2008, 14:19
I'm also concerned about this issue, I'm 17 right now and I'm planning apply to OAT next year.
Any tips or PM's? I really need your help guys, this is very important me.

Thank you very much.

Adios
29th Jan 2008, 21:51
I think Willie Walsh was about 18 when he was an Aer Lingus cadet at OAT and now he runs BA, which isn't too bad a gig for an Irishman!

saccade
30th Jan 2008, 09:48
If I were your age I would wait a few years to see where aviation is going. There are not many people or energy agency's anymore who believe oil supply is able to meet demand after 2015. Difficult to predict what is going to happen than, but with $300-$500 oil it is unlikely that the middle class can still afford an ticket to sunny Ibiza. The whole future of (affordable) aviation appears to depend on projects like Richard Branson's algae fuel tests.

I think in two, three years time you will have a pretty good picture how responsible your investment in flight training is going to be.

WALSue
30th Jan 2008, 20:36
I'm a crusty 30 1/2 and only just getting started with my flying. I really regret not starting my flying 10 years ago.
I'd say if you've got the money to do it, go for it!

saccade
31st Jan 2008, 10:31
go for it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XNjZnRA2m68&feature=related

Night_fr8
31st Jan 2008, 20:19
Go for the training now.
19 is not too young, in fact there are more 18 / 19 year olds now on training courses than ever before.
Airlines cannot be ageist any more its the law (EU). Some still try though.
And wasting 3 years on a degree course when you could be in the Right seat of a modern jet after 20 months is the right way to go, especially after completing an integrated course at Oxford which now includes a degree.
Go for assessment and get ready for a great career.
I know of a 19 year old in Titan Airways and an 18 Year old in BA.

deltauniform
1st Feb 2008, 23:56
Thanks again guys. Im going to give the different schools a ring next week and see about assesment days :)

DU.