PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 medical and asthma

Wing_man
28th Jan 2008, 20:09
Hey guys,

Have my class 1 medical in few weeks (previously posted) however I suffered mild asthma a good few years ago (say 4-5) but have since grown out of it.
Would this affect my chance of getting a cert or should I not declare it (I don’t approve of the latter).
By the way my breathing is 110%

<W-M>

Agaricus bisporus
28th Jan 2008, 20:14
They'll see it quite clearly on your peak flow test if you had asthma so lie to them and you'll look like the untrustworthy cheat that doesn't deserve to be a Professional pilot...and they'll act accordingly.

previous asthma usually no problem as long as peak flow rates are acceptable, and the limits aren't particularly stringent.

Front up and just blow in the tube!

Wing_man
28th Jan 2008, 20:23
Cheers for that, yes I noticed on a few posts individuals that failed to mention their previous medical history which was a bit worrying.

Joffyh
28th Jan 2008, 21:02
I too was diagnosed with mild asthma. It rarely effects me today and they weren't too worried, just be honest and inform them of any inhalers that you might have. I got my Class One.

Shaft109
28th Jan 2008, 22:47
Get a spirograph to check how your lungs are functioning (not the same as a peak flow).

The shape of the graph, rather than the amount of air you can blow, will betray weather or not you are asthmatic - so don't try and lie.

atminimums
28th Jan 2008, 23:27
Yeh, definately declare it from the get go. I declared and had no problems whatsoever.

As agaricus said, just front up and blow the tube!!

Minimums

buggingout
30th Jan 2008, 22:12
same here, i had it quite bad shortly after my initial class 1. came from nowhere. they just appraised it using spirograph and peak flow, made me run around gatwick house for 5 mins and checked it again. no worse so got the all clear as long as i stay on preventative. they do want to pass you.

good luck

Pilot Pete
31st Jan 2008, 09:56
They'll see it quite clearly on your peak flow test if you had asthma Incorrect. It will show if you currently have a reduced peak flow due to current effects of an asthma attack, or any other respiratory disorder affecting peak flow. The poster said he had suffered mild asthma a good few years ago (say 4-5) but have since grown out of it If he has no respiratory disorder currently there is no reason why his peak flow should not match anyone else's.

I was in a similar position to the original poster many years back. The CAA medical department (like most medical professionals) opinion of Asthma seems to have become much more realistic in the last 10-15 years; when I was a kid you were 'labelled' and that was that, no chance of passing any medical for anything because of the 'A' word.

There are many, many degrees of Asthma, from mild (where many people don't even realise what it is) to disabling when individuals cannot function. Drugs have moved on too, so Asthma can be well controlled and as long as you don't get hospitalised with it then the CAA seem happy enough to accept well managed Asthma.

For those who don't understand it, just because someone has Asthma it doesn't make them 'incapable' or a 'risk'. I was an Army Physical Training Instructor with a history of Asthma and there weren't many lads who could keep up with me;) Sebastian Coe (800m world record holder? and Olympic 1500m champion) and many other World class sportsmen and women are Asthmatic and it doesn't prevent them doing anything.

PP

Yerlo
31st Jan 2008, 12:06
Should have no problems as previous posters have mentioned, i passed and currently take preventative inhalers daily. I think the key is that you have not been hospitalised within a certain period and it is controlled.

Good Luck

HomerJay
31st Jan 2008, 14:45
I too was diagnosed with mild asthma. It rarely effects me today and they weren't too worried, just be honest and inform them of any inhalers that you might have. I got my Class One.

Do this. It's what I did and I have a class one.

You don't want to be hiding anything, these medicals will come up at least every year for the rest of your career so just be honest.

Read up on asthma on the caa website, its quite useful

Wing_man
31st Jan 2008, 18:35
Cheers for the input guys, will definatley take your advice.

Thanks again

:ok:

ksa
31st Jan 2008, 19:38
Is it nessesary to bring any documentation for my "asthma-history"? I think of my medical-journal or some medical examinations from my own doctor before the medical...

I am going to take my medical in Gatwick, and i lirytve in Denmark, so i really want to bring everything in the first place. It is quite a trip for me to go back home to get some papers that they need.

Warrior2
1st Feb 2008, 07:34
Unfortunatly the news was not so good for me!! I did my initial medical at Dublin (IAA) i now have to wait 3 years to see if i get an asthma attack and if i dont ill get the certificate!! Whats even more annoying is the fact that the CAA will pass me but the iaa wont, Where is JAA?

HappyFran
1st Feb 2008, 09:20
Sorry to hear of your set back, I can only empathize with your bitter disappointment.:ouch:
The JAA (Joint Aviation Authority) is pan European organization, which is set up to harmonize standards across Europe. i.e. get all national authorities, CAA, IAA etc.to sing from the same hymn sheet.
In the future the CAA may tighten its rules on astma or IAA may relax them, I've no idea. But I am pretty sure the Medic's don't want to fail pilots, they just have a duty ensure that you are fit and able to look after $200M of hardware and 200+ pax.
Whilst this is undoubtedly a major set back, 3 years is not a lifetime and may give you the opportunity to develop a ‘Plan B’. This may involve saving money to pay for the training and developing an alternative career if the flying goes t*ts up.
Philosophically, (I appreciate not a great consolation) it would be even worse if you get through all the training, at huge expense, get a job and then fail an annual medical. Or worse still have an asthma attack due to stress while bringing in a 777 into LHR with sudden major malfunction.!!
If you are passionate about flying, it may be possible to get a Class 2 medical and train to PPL level and enjoy pleasure flying, at least while you serve out your 3 years
Life is full of set backs, don’t let it get you down for to long:):)
Good Luck
Fran

Warrior2
1st Feb 2008, 11:00
Hi fran,

THanks for the advice, youll be pleased to know that i already hold a class 2 and have got my ppl. Im in college currently doing a degree in mechanical engineering. Im hoping to do my IR next summer and maybe my Multi the year after. With those done and when i graduate from college i will be able to renew my class 1.

W2