PDA

View Full Version : I'm selling my business to start flying

Jumbo744
28th Jan 2008, 16:14
Hello all,

I've been running my business for 2 years now, i'm doing great, but I'm just not happy with my life. I'm 24, my dream since I was a child was to be a pilot, my brother is a pilot on A320, and I just can't stand any other day at the office. I've always said that money was the most important thing, but that's not true. I'm going to do my best, study hard and hopefully get a job.

:ok:

Wing_man
28th Jan 2008, 16:36
What was your business may I ask?

If business is good why dont you keep it, do a modular course then decide when you are quaified what to do with your business.

Its always good to have your finger in many pies. ;)

AJWatson2209
28th Jan 2008, 21:30
Brave move mate.

All the best

wbryce
28th Jan 2008, 21:34
Theres nothing stopping you having a business while training to fly. Its a second source of income that may require time and dedication but surely the pro's out weight the cons.

Ideal Line
28th Jan 2008, 21:43
I agree with the comments above. If you plan to go down the modular route, hold on to your business at least until you complete your CPL.

One word of advice, just be patient. You're only 24 and you have got all the time in the world.

CaptainJim
28th Jan 2008, 21:47
Be prepared to pay for a type rating as well but I'm sure you already know that. Remember if you buy a type rating independantly chances are you will p-ss €30k down the drain. A type rating needs to be done by an airline cos that way you know their procedures.

chances are you will get a job

Jumbo744
29th Jan 2008, 07:27
Thank you guys.

It would be great to keep my business and go for training but the problem is that my business is based in West Africa and I will train in Canada. I cannot leave ONE hour the office even when I'm ill and have malaria because I have nobody I trust enough to run things when I'm not here.

I am a IT Technician, Network Administrator, Comptia, Cisco and Microsoft Certified. My business is selling, installing, servicing IT products and solutions.

Business is difficult in any developped country, but it's even more difficult here in West Africa. Too much corruption, lack of knowdledge, racism, sabotage, no justice, lack of professionalism. I'm making good money, but money cannot buy my tranquility.

For those who remember me, this is what I had planned 2 years ago. Run that business for 2 years and see. Check my threads:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217317

Even If I fail as a pilot, I will go back to Canada and find a IT job or open a business there.

The good thing about those last 2 years is the superb life experience, I had to deal with extremely hard situations, and also I've found my wife and she is extremely entousiastic about my plans.

I plan to leave the country on April. :ok:

No Country Members
29th Jan 2008, 09:09
I sold my business quite a lot of years ago now, and then sold my soul to aviation thereafter. I work now as a professional pilot, and am fairly happy with my lot, but can't help but think that I had a nice little life, a good way down the road to the end of mortgage payments etc. I was bored, the grass looked greener, and circumstances pushed me to take the plunge into flight training.

There are plenty who say they never look back. Not me, I look back. Would I change it, and have all the money back? Not sure.

If you had asked me before I started whether I would say I had any regrets, I'd have said no.

Do I have any regrets now? Yes, that I am still not back to the same financial position I was 15 years ago, but I probably will be soon. Apart from that, being away from home a lot. Apart from that, nothing, I get more time off than when I worked for myself, and when I am at work it is fun, so not really work (of course it has its irritations, but less so).

It's never clear cut, although it sounds like you've made the decision already. Also you have the insight of your brother so I guess it's more of a known entity.

Good luck.