PDA

View Full Version : Oxford skills assesment 19th+20th feb 2008

oli4
28th Jan 2008, 15:10
Hi all, i am booked on the skills assesment at OAT on the 19th and 20th of feb 2008. i was just wondering if there was any1 else who is booked on this assesment as i think it would be good to know someone before attending. if so just post on here.
i would also like to hear from people who have completed the skills assesment recently and who could give some advise on interview questions. what to expect and how it went.
thanks and i look forward to hearing some positive feedback.
Oli

nickmanl
28th Jan 2008, 15:54
There is loads of stuff on here regarding the assessment day. My only advice is read up on the course, ie how long you will spend on each section, what aircraft you will learn to fly in etc as they will ask you about it. Just be yourself and enjoy it. Interview isn't too bad, they will ask you ask you where you see yourself in ten years, do you feel a first officer is a leader or a teamplayer etc. Make sure you have done your prep for maths and physics!

betty123
28th Jan 2008, 16:54
I've got mine on the 26th and 27th. There is loads of really good info on here thats helped me a lot. Good Luck!

oli4
28th Jan 2008, 21:46
cheers u 2 good luck to u too betty. any1 got any other points of view, all are welcome.
oli

oli4
29th Jan 2008, 13:56
1 other thing are the maths and physics tests mulitple choise?

OllyMacc
29th Jan 2008, 15:19
Hi, format is generally compass tests first: including hand eye co-ordination in a variety of forms, the maths test is stuck in the middle of these, its not multiple choice and it is negatively marked, but its pretty simple after a bit of swatting up. The physics test is pretty simple stuff GCSE level an then a psychametric test, you can't fail it as such but you might be required to justify yourself later on (no psychologist would suggest 30 multiple choice questions can accurately sum up an individuals personality) then on the same day you'l have a sim check, no experience necessary just checking how you cope with new tasks really.
Following day you'l have a group team exercise (note you start with 0 points an get marked up for each positive contribution, whether that be encouraging others or your own ideas). You can't fail this team exercise but again you'l be asked to justify the decisions you make as a team. Finally the one on one interview. Just be yourself, express your interest and you'l be fine.

oli4
31st Jan 2008, 08:18
thanks ollymac, is any1 booked on the course i am i think it would be good to know someone before we attend.
keep the comments coming.
oli

tommyD1985
2nd Feb 2008, 03:30
Hi there,

Im booked in for my skills assessment a day later than yours, spread over the wednesday and thursday. Anyone else on here in for the same dates as me i.e. WEDNESDAY 20TH FEB TO THE THURSDAY 21ST FEB, if so give me a shout!!

Im booked into the accomodation on site for two nights...£29 per night and no duvet cover!! Not to worry though, i'd prefer to be staying on site rather than having to commute in on both mornings from the surrounding area, especially that for the second day for which an early start of 8:15am is required, and for where parking spaces are sparse.

Anyways, if i dont manage to randomly bump into you during my stay. All the best for your skills test and maybe if we are both lucky and get accepted, then i may see you on an APPFO course later on in the year.

Take it easy
All the best.
Tom.

Joffyh
2nd Feb 2008, 10:14
Hi Tom

I'm on the same Skills Assessment as you. I'm also staying in Langford, I was told that there is linen and we only need our own towels.

How's your prep. going for it? Good luck to everyone else going for assessment!

See you in a few weeks
Joffy

Zitoon
2nd Feb 2008, 15:13
have someone used OAT media for math and physics preparation?
I think order the package soon.
Also, include this cds all what is needed to succeed math and physics tests? (except work of course :D )

Joffyh
2nd Feb 2008, 15:41
Yeah I've been using them, they're very good actually. I've heard that the content is sufficient for the technical tests and the ATPL exams.

tommyD1985
2nd Feb 2008, 15:59
Hi Joffy,

Thanks for the reply, yeah preperation is going steady but ok, im just browsing over some of the material on the GCSE bitesize website. Came to the conclusion though, that if after an A-level in Maths and Physics, and the hard-core flight dynamics lectures at uni, then if i struggle at the questions on the assessment for the maths and physics i really should start to ask myself serious questions regarding where im heading in life!!

From the letter that i recieved and information gathered from this site, i understand that brushing up on the basic mental arithmetic (percentages, long multiplication, long division and interpreting graphs etc) is the best course of action. The things i am worried about most is the psychiometric test and the individual interview...The reason i have for wanting to become an airline pilot may sound very generic, however all i know is that from people i've spoken to who have done the two days skills assessment is that in the interview it's best just to be your self and relax completely! Think i may have to adapt the old strategie of picturing the people interviewing me in their underwear. haha!

Anyways, hope all is going well your way.
Take it easy and look forwards to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

P.S. I'm going to contact OAT regarding whether linen is provided in the rooms or not on monday morning, so will keep you posted!

Cheers,
Tom.:)

Zitoon
2nd Feb 2008, 16:39
Thanks Joffyh, Good luck!

oli4
2nd Feb 2008, 19:40
hi tom, good luck and will probably bump into u, u might wanna check ask.oxfordaviation.net as sum1 has posted on there for the dates u mentioned. the physics cd's are good but go on a bit.
good luck anyway
Oli

Zitoon
4th Feb 2008, 16:41
Waiting for OAT media math and physics, I would like to know if anyone has some typical questions from this part of the test?
I know what to learn and I am revising for the worst but it would be helpful!

speedtouch
4th Feb 2008, 17:14
Nice idea to meet each other before the selections - crews do it for airline selections too. As you have deduced yourselves, be honest, don't get too stressed and if you make a mistake [everyone does...] carry on.

Basic common sense, but I just thought I would say it again. ;)

Regards

Speedtouch.

Joffyh
5th Feb 2008, 15:04
Tom

Good to hear it's coming along for you, I guess you're right. The only thing I would say is that a friend of mine went for assessment a few weeks ago and failed Compass, although he did Maths and Physics A-Level he said he had forgotten the basics. You sound prepared though. I haven't done Maths or Physics since GCSE, apart from a brief spell of Algebra in my short time at uni. so I'm gradually working my way through their CDs.

With regards to the psychometric test there is nothing that can be done to prepare for it. Apparently the questions are designed to flag up anyone that they think might be "cheating", my mate who failed said they talked about his personality in the debrief. I know what you mean about "Why do you want to become a pilot?" I've been going over answers to possible questions, there are some good books out there which can you help you answer questions such as "What's your greatest weakness?".

Did you get in contact with OAA about the duvet situation? What time do you think you'll arrive on Tuesday?

Cheers
Joffy :)

Rasta Fairy
6th Feb 2008, 07:29
Guys, if you want to start off on the right foot, stop calling them OAT. It's Oxford Aviation Academy ;)

tommyD1985
6th Feb 2008, 09:41
Hi Joffy,

Hope all the preperation is going great for you, i've had a bout of nervousness over this skills assessment over the past few days, don't know why this early but i suppose its best to get it out of the system before i start losing sleep over it closer to the date.

Managed to speak to the accomodation department at Oxford Aviation (OAT) with regards to the following questions:

What is provided in the room?

The reply i was given was a bit in depth to what i was expecting, as she started to explain how there was a desk, chair, wardrobe, sink/basin etc, etc, etc... She must have thought i was going to fully move in for the two days. Ha! Most importantly there will be a douvet and pillow provided, all we need to bring is our own towels and toiletries.

What is the best time to arrive and check in?

For arriving on the tuesday, she stated that if arriving before 5 p.m, then you would simply be able to collect the keys from the school office.

However, arriving after 5 p.m, it would be possible to collect the room key from the security office at the gate (which she stressed was 24hrs).

I aim to be catching the 13:24 train from Manchester to be arriving in oxford at 16:14. Hopefully then i will be able to get to my lecture in the morning and successfully catch lunch in Manchester and be in Oxford just in time to sample the evening delights that Oxford Aviation catering has to offer at around 5 o'clock..ish after checking in. That is providing the restaurant is still open!! If not, the delicacies from the local shops or supermarkets will suffice.

What time are you expecting to arrive on the tuesday??

Take it easy and look forwards to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Tom.

Joffyh
6th Feb 2008, 11:33
Hi Tom

Thanks for confirming what's provided in the rooms, good to know I won't have to haul my bedding around :).

I'm going to leave Exeter at 11:54 and arrive in Oxford at 14:47. We've got some good family friends there who I'm going to go and see for a few hours and also take advantage of their ironing facilities after the journey. I'll probably go to OAT/OAA around 16:30-17:00ish, I've read that the restaurant is open 17:00-18:30.

If it all goes to plan when would you look to start the course?

Cheers
Joffy

tommyD1985
7th Feb 2008, 23:15
Hi Joffy,

Feeling confident for the Skills assessment yet? Can tell you im not in the slightest! Definately a lot more practice on the old maths skills required for me. ha!

That'll be quite good seeing as we should both be arriving at OAT for around the same time, be good to meet someone there before we start, and not have to eat alone (thats if your having something to eat in the cafe there)...Heard the food is to a very high standard, apparently Delia Smith is the head chef...Hmmmm!! There again, after a long train journey and flight dynamics in the morning, im sure even gruel will not only taste good but also be asthetically pleasing, afterall i'm sure the food is'nt as bad as people make out...Or is it!?!

If successful in the Skills Assessment, i'd ideally like to begin the course as early as possible, hopefully that being at the end of June just after my exams or even in July. Space permitting of course, so preferably AP290 or AP291. How about you?

P.S. Where abouts in Exeter you from, my flat mate lives just outside Exeter.

Anyways, hope preps going great.

Take it easy,
Tom.

Joffyh
10th Feb 2008, 11:35
Hi

I'm semiconfident...still got a bit of a way to go before I'll be happy enough with the maths and physics.

Yeah I will be eating at OAT, it'll be interesting to see what it's like as I too haven't really heard the best things about it. If I go then I'm considering staying in Langford for the duration of ground school as I think it'll be easier to remain focused etc. and this would obviously mean eating most of my meals there so I'm praying it's not that bad!

If I get in then I'm looking to start September/October as I've got to save some money before I go.

Have you had a look at Cabair? I went to a seminar there yesterday and it was interesting to say the least! I'm probably going to start some stupid debate but I really wasn't impressed.

I live just outside a town called Moretonhampstead on the edge of Dartmoor, about 12 miles from Exeter.

Would it be alright if I got your email/mobile so I can contact on you on Tuesday 19th?

Cheers
Joffy

P.S. Sorry Oli for taking over your thread :O

oli4
10th Feb 2008, 15:53
Thats all right guys am happy that my thread has come of some use to people i can't find any1 thats actually on my assesment.. bit annoying as it would be good to know someone like you 2 do.
what has every1 been studying then? i got the list from nick and its really intense. concentrating now on revising what i've already revised :bored:. feel a bit ....... overloaded now and am sure my eyes are a bit square now after staring at pc for ages.
anyway good luck every1
Oli

Joffyh
10th Feb 2008, 16:12
I've just been doing the basics really...for the maths:

Long multiplication/Long division
Percentages
Fraction
Basic Algebra
Formula e.g. STDFor the physics:

Electricity
Atoms
Forces / Power
WavesWhat does this list from Nick include? If you don't mind me asking.

Are you going to be staying at Langford while you're there?

Cheers
Joffy

CY333
10th Feb 2008, 16:47
Hi all.
Hope u have a great Sunday.
Was just wondering, do all schools do this or just OAT.

oli4
11th Feb 2008, 08:36
Joffy: I am not staytin in the accom as i only live bout 45 mins drive away so i'll just commute. in regard to the list..... it goes on a bit i have pasted it below.good luck.
Cy33..... i believe that all flight schools now require you to attend a skills test before being acepted.
Oli
PRE – APP STUDY GUIDE

A basic understanding of the following topics to GCSE grade ‘C’ standard prior to attending the APP Course is strongly recommended.

MATHS

Algebraic Substitution
Simple equations
Subject of the formulae
Factorisation
Expand and simplify
Indices
Functions
The line
Travel graph
Numbers
Percentages
Areas and volumes
Pythagoras theory and trigonometry
Problems in bearings
Geometric terms
The circle
Vectors
Practice Mental Maths !!

PHYSICS

Mechanics

Work and power
Energy
Potential and kinetic
Input and output energy
Pressure - solid liquids and atmospheric
Principles of Hydraulics
Gears and cogs
Linear motion equations
Gradient
Distance time graph - Velocity time graphs
Force and momentum
Resultant force
Newton's Law
Forces
Mass, weight and density
Vectors and scalars
Center of gravity (moments and balance)
The turning effect of forces
The law of moments: levers
Parallel forces in equilibrium
Couples
Principles of gyros
Principles of piston and turbo jet engines
The Otto cycle (engines)
(You must be familiar with both Imperial and Metric units and be able to convert one to the other)

Sound

Longitudinal waves
Sound waves
Stationary waves

Optics

Sources and reflectors of light
Magnification
Reflection Laws
Refraction
Convex and concave
Magnifying glass
Dispersion

Heat

Heat and temperature
Internal energy
Temp scales: including Kelvin and converting temperature from one scale to another
Heating and cooling curves
Melting
Boiling
Evaporation
Gas pressure
Pressure and temperature of a gas
Volume and temperature of a gas
Volume and pressure of a gas
Expansion on matter
Heat transmission: - Conduction - Convection and radiation
Boyles, Charles and the General Gas Laws

Magnetism (Ideally you should understand the following but it is not essential)

Magnets
Theory of magnetism
Magnetic fields and neutral points
Magnetic effect of current through wire - coil and solenoid
Electromagnetic
Motor effect of current through a wire
The simple D.c motor
Electromagnetic induction in a straight wire - solenoid
Transformers
The transmission of electrical power
Fields and rule

Current electricity (Ideally you should understand the following but it is not essential)

Circuit components and diagram
Electric circuits
Potential Difference
Electrical resistance
Ohms law
Series parallel and mixed circuits
Heating effect of an electric current
Electrical power
Direct current and alternating current
The live, neutral and earth wires
Circuit Breakers, fuses and switches
Principles of electric generators

General

General outline of metals and materials commonly used in aircraft
The principles of aerodynamic lift
Cloud formation and general principles of meteorology
Confidence in handling numbers and ability in mental arithmetic

Joffyh
11th Feb 2008, 09:15
:eek:...:\

Are you revising all of that for the assessment?

oli4
11th Feb 2008, 11:22
I KNOW!!!!! i am doing most but am skipping a few things that i really see no relativity toward flying if ya know what i mean i have gone trough all of it but i think the first stuff i revised has fallen out of my head. lol

just wondered if any1 knows the type of topics covered on the group tasks? and if there is a short brief on the topic before or are you expected to know about it? and is it always airline related?
thanks
oli

oli4
14th Feb 2008, 11:36
Is there still no1 going on this assesment? would be good to chat to know some names.
Oli

bajadj
14th Feb 2008, 11:51
oli4, you'll find that an awful lot of atpl groundschool has no relation towards flying!!!!

on the food score, the canteen is rubbish, although starbucks menu is edible (although repetitive).

and as mentioned before in this thread, if you're thinking of spending upwards of 60k on training at oxford, you really should know it's name.

oxford aviation academy.

ps there will be loads of current oxford students milling around so feel free to ask us anything about the place if you'd like to know what it's REALLY like at oaa without the marketing spin.

kindest regards and good luck with the interview.

flyingman88
1st Dec 2008, 17:02
myeguide.co.uk

Adios
2nd Dec 2008, 22:55
I hope the post above is not from a troll. Six whole posts so far and five of them pushing the MyEguide. This one on a thread inactive for 9 months, dredged up with the search engine. Should he be in marketing or is he just a grateful wannabe?

Nobody knows about it yet because the MyEguide.co.uk domain name was only registered on November 18th according to the Whois database records. Should we believe that flyingman88 found this non-advertised, non-promoted site, bought and used the guide, booked OAA assessment and passed it all since 18th November? Given that OAA's assessment is usually booked a month in advance, I smell a rat.

If the guide is worth a darn then that's great, but I have to wonder if Flyingman88 is actually the author or at least promoting the guide for the author.