PDA

View Full Version : New York/Las Vegas

Oneil
28th Jan 2008, 14:48
Hello,

First post here- and you all seem well informed and helpful so here goes.

I want to go to Las Vegas but the only way I will be allowed to go (I'm so under the thumb:ouch:) is if I take my Mrs to New York first for a couple of days (no doubt she will just want to go shopping)

Once that trauma is over (and if she hasnt blew all my money on even more pairs of shoes)- head over to Vegas for few days and relax there.

Am I better just getting a BA/Virgin over to New York and then booking something separate to get to Vegas- or are there any airlines where you can stop off like this in one place and then carry on?

Not to sure what to do or where to start looking.

Ta- Oneil

Avman
28th Jan 2008, 15:24
Since VIR fly both to JFK and LAS you might see what they can offer in terms of an LHR-JFK-LAS-LGW. Compare it to a straight forward LHR-JFK-LHR with a seperately booked JFK-LAS-JFK on JetBlue.

barbiegirl
28th Jan 2008, 17:06
did this trip last september.. Vegas and relaxing don't go together!!!
we flew Delta to JFK, then JFK-LAS.. way home had to go via ATL but good flights and timings..this was from MAN by the way

Hartington
28th Jan 2008, 19:16
Sorry, but I don't believe there is a simple answer to this. As has been said, Virgin fly to both New York and Las Vegas but you will have to find a different airline between the two. Now, that could all be done on one ticket issued by Virgin or you could buy a ticket London/New York then Las Vegas/London and a separate New York/Las Vegas ticket.

But then you get into the question of non stop versus connecting flights. I have often been surprised to find that a connecting flight over a US hub (e.g. a-b via X) can be cheaper than non stop. So, it could be cheaper to go on United New York/Denver/Las Vegas than on a non stop flight.

And, as someone else has pointed out, if London is not your departure point then it may make most sense to start from your local airport. In which case take a look at Continental. They fly from (from memory) Gatwick, Heathrow, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow [Newcastle?]) to Newark which is just over the river from Manhattan and many people consider it more convenient than JFK anyway. Then continue on Continental to Las Vegas and fly back again via Newark.

Personally, I tend to value non stop flights and find Heathrow a convenient (if not beautiful) departure point so I'd go for the Virgin option for trans atlantic. As for New York/Las Vegas try JetBlue (would have to be bought separately) and then the following could all be bought separately or as part of your transatlantic whoever you use for those flights: Continental, Delta, US Air, American.

Cheapest is a misnomer. In the end you have to make a decision. You'll never know whether a further search or waiting until tomorrow might have saved you something (but it could also cost you). Pick flights that make sense to you in terms of time and what you can afford.

Oneil
29th Jan 2008, 07:41
Thanks guys- much appreciated.

I will investigate further today.

cjhants
29th Jan 2008, 08:08
dont think you can get away without shopping in vegas. more expensive shoe shops than poker tables!:)

Oneil
29th Jan 2008, 08:11
haha i dont think i will get away with it either- :ugh::ugh::ugh:

PaperTiger
29th Jan 2008, 19:52
VS will sell you an open-jaw: LON-JFK/LAS-LON so you'd only need one-way JFK-LAS flight - try JetBlue for that.

starbag
30th Jan 2008, 20:39
Try one of the comparison websites (don't know if I'm allowed to use names but the one I use is very good for "cheap tickets"!) and use the multi city option. I've just booked a LGW-ORD, ORD-EWR, EWR-MCO, MCO-LGW flight on Delta in March for about £400 with layovers in ORD, NYC, and MCO.

redsnail
31st Jan 2008, 13:05
For our US trip to New York and Vail (ok, not Vegas but it does start with V). We used Silverjet to New York (Touchdown travel) and picked up a Continental flight to Eagle County.

Checking in at Luton was an absolute dream compared to the bunfight of LHR and LGW.

UniFoxOs
31st Jan 2008, 15:10
I think you can book the round trip on Continental, with a stop at New York (and also a change on the way back, of course). We have used them to EWR from BHX - good service.

UFO