View Full Version : "British" Passport Renewal.

BlueDiamond
28th Jan 2008, 12:28
As a dual-national I have always maintained currency on both passports. My "Brit" passport (European Community) is up for renewal this year but I've been having second thoughts about renewing it, mainly because it seems an unnecessary expense if I already have a current passport (my Aussie one.)

My question is this ... is there a point at which the relative easiness of simply renewing the passport reverts to the much more complex "first time application?" I have always renewed it about a year before it was due so I've never really needed to worry about that, but if I changed my mind say five years down the track, and decided that I wanted to renew it after all, what would need to be done ... the simple renewal process or the complex first-time application.

Or is it the case that once I have held a Brit passport, it will only ever need renewing no matter how much time has elapsed since the last time? I'm quite happy to use my Aussie passport but I'm kind of fond of the old British one and would like to keep my options open if possible. The website (Brit Embassy Canberra) does not specifically address this question and trying to phone them is a nightmare of endless pre-recorded "press 1" "press 2" choices none of which seems relevant to my question.

So ... anyone know the answer please? :confused:

Puzzled of Perth.

ThreadBaron
28th Jan 2008, 12:43
Try here for the answer, PuofPe.

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply.asp

As I read it, you can renew if you still have your passport and it is in date. If it goes out of date you have to get back on the treadmill.:\

JFW
28th Jan 2008, 12:46
i think thats right. A few years back I realised mine had already expired when I went to renew it and I had to go through the full application again.

Ace Rimmer
28th Jan 2008, 12:54
Bluey: As a pom/seppo dual I'd council keeping them both up to date if only to avoid the hassle of losing one while on a trip (dun that). Plus has had been already said it's easier to keep em going that re-start.

BlueDiamond
28th Jan 2008, 12:55
Could you direct me to the relevant section please, Baron?

ThreadBaron
28th Jan 2008, 12:58
Your wish is my ........

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-renewing-eligible.asp

... command.:ok:

ORAC
28th Jan 2008, 12:58
If it's the same as in Canada (http://www.britishhighcommission.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1188497174892), the only additional requirement is, if it's been expired for more than 10 years, a new bit of photographic documentation from the UK or a federal body - I presume to prove the knackered sod in the new photo really is you.... :E

MadsDad
28th Jan 2008, 13:02
Having just posted my application this morning (gripe: I'm paying £72 quid, at least they could provide a prepaid bloody envelope) and so have the form in front of me.

Note 1, para 1, for a renewal. 'Put a cross in this box if your passport is full, has run out or is about to run out and is not damaged' (my italics). So according to that you can renew an expired passport same as one about to expire (there is no mention of a time limit either anywhere I can see). And I hope that is correct because mine expired last week.

(Only thing would be, I think, if it is long expired and you no longer resemble the photo in the original. Then you have to get revalidated).

BlueDiamond
28th Jan 2008, 13:29
Thanks, Baron ... I fulfill all of those conditions but it's not the info I'm after.

MadsDad ... could you please let me know if the recent expiry proves to be a barrier? And you're right, Ace ... it IS probably better to keep both current. It's just that the new biometric ones are quite expensive ... oh well, can't expect that to improve can we? :(

Loose rivets
28th Jan 2008, 14:56
My other son in Austin has recently done it, I'll ask him today how he got on. I know that he'd let it expire.

BlueDiamond
28th Jan 2008, 14:57
Thanks, Rivets! :ok:

pasoundman
28th Jan 2008, 14:59
ThreadBaron
As I read it, you can renew <your British passport>if you still have your passport and it is in date. If it goes out of date you have to get back on the treadmill.

I've 'renewed' a very out of date British passport in the past and not had to go back to the beginning. No need for birth certificates / whatever.

G-CPTN
28th Jan 2008, 15:08
You might find that things have been tightened-up recently . . .

ORAC
28th Jan 2008, 15:22
Ummm, perhaps nobody looked at the link I provided above (http://www.britishhighcommission.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1188497174892)?

There is no problem if the passport is expired, it is treated no differently. The only proviso is that, if it expired more than 10 years previously, an additional more recent piece of photo ID is required.

MadsDad
28th Jan 2008, 15:31
Bluey. I will do so, but it could be a few weeks.

The bit from the web site says

'You can apply to renew if:

your last passport was a standard adult 10-year passport and
you still have your last passport and
your passport is not damaged and
you do not need to change your name or national status'See the 'Renewing a Passport' link on

(Not trying to be rude, Orac, but I'm not sure if renewing outside UK rules are different).

MadsDad
28th Jan 2008, 15:39
Incidentally (and creeping the thread) how did you get to 'rename' the link ORAC? When I put a link in it just takes the http... and sticks it in the reply.

(I used to have the option of putting a descriptive text in but that vanished a while back).

ORAC
28th Jan 2008, 15:47
When you paste the link it consists of 2 parts, the link which the system follows, followed by a text string which is displayed on the screen. By default the second is a copy of the first.

e.g. (I have replaced URL with ARL so it all displays on the screen.) The bold part is the text part. Just replace this with whatever you want on the screen. It will already be selected/highlighted for you just to paste over it when you use the insert link button.

See here - or whatever you want

See here - or whatever you want (http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply.asp)

ORAC
28th Jan 2008, 15:52
(Not trying to be rude, Orac, but I'm not sure if renewing outside UK rules are different). Which is why I selected a link from the British High Commission in Ottowa, working on the basis they should be the same rules in Perth.... ;)

MadsDad
28th Jan 2008, 15:54
ORAC, re drifted thread. I don't get the second part of the link these days (used to, but then what the hell. Everything has been going downhill since...........).

ORAC
28th Jan 2008, 15:56
Well I've given you the format, you'll just have to do a bit of manual labour... ;)

G-CPTN
28th Jan 2008, 18:12
I don't get the second part of the link these days (used to, but then what the hell. Everything has been going downhill since...........).You may find that your privileges have been curtailed (especially if you've had cause to bring yourself to the attention of the mods) but you may be able to restore these through access to your User Control Panel (click on 'Personal messages' - if you've still got it visible, otherwise click on 'User CP' on the toolbar, then explore 'Settings and options' . . . ).

Loose rivets
28th Jan 2008, 20:44
Son said expired 4 years. Found site on net. Filled in forms on computer but...

Had to send old one to Washington ? he thinks...anyway, within the county of residence, in this case the US

Provide a pic 45 x 35 mm as per their instructions - which was done on line. He does this stuff all day long but still said that bit was tricky to get right.

Give them the princely sum of $197 :(

All went quite smoothly.

S'land
28th Jan 2008, 22:00
I had to renew my passport last year. I thought that I still had a month or so to go, but noticed that I was on the last day. I just downloaded the formd from the British Consulate in Düsseldorf, rushed to have a biometric photograph taken, put photo's, form, old passport and proof of the payment transfer (Euro 190) in the envelope and sent the envelope to the Consulate. One week later new passport arrived back without any problems.

Times may vary, but there should be no difference in procedure at any British Consulate.

Pomypilot
29th Jan 2008, 00:21
G'day Bluey,

I have just renewed my out of date British Passport in Perth.
It was only six months OOD but all the same, the process is easy mate.

Step one. Phone the British consulate (Canberra) and ask for a passport renewal form. This can be done on the Internet, just print it off, my cartridge had run out!!

Step two. Fill in form and tick relevant boxes. There is no need for copies of birth certificates etc. Enclose OOD passport and send it with a wad of money and new passport arrived in 8 working days.....easy!

It could not be easier. I'm sure that there is no time line given for the old passport......i.e. how long it has been OOD.

Hope this helps

OH, NEW PHOTO'S WILL OF COURSE BE NEEDED!!

PP:ok:

BlueDiamond
29th Jan 2008, 01:07
That's all good info ... thanks everyone. It would appear that the critical issue is whether or not a previous passport has been issued rather than how long it has been out of date. I may reconsider letting it lapse though ...

MadsDad ... try this. Collect the link you want from whichever site you're looking at (right click/copy), come back to Proon and type up your text including the words you want to use for your link. Look at the paragraph above where I've written "previous passport" ... let's say I want to use those for a link to a passport website. Having "collected" the link from the site I want, I would come back here to where I'm typing my post, highlight those two words (by left click and drag), select the "link" icon above the text field and "paste" the link I've collected into the pop-up box. Click OK and that's it. Hope that works for you.

bulolobob
29th Jan 2008, 01:55
Hey Blue Diamond

Like you I have both a British EEC and an Australia Passport. Previously always travelled on a black British one.

I have a question about the practicalities of using 2 passports. Do you use the Aussie one when you leave / arrive in Australia and the Briish one when you arrive / leave the UK? If so does this create any difficulties? Or do you present both passports at immigration?

Just curious?
Cheers
BB