PDA

View Full Version : 39 Sqn Stand-Up at UAV Sqn

ORAC
28th Jan 2008, 08:38
Military Aviation News: RAF activates unmanned aerial vehicle squadron at Creech (http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/airforce/RAF_activates_unmanned_aerial_vehicle_squadron_at_Creech1000 14930.php)

CREECH AIR FORCE BASE: Royal Air Force officials activated an unmanned aerial vehicle squadron Jan. 23 in the Reaper Hangar at Creech Air Force Base.

Number 39th Squadron is the RAF's first unmanned aerial vehicle squadron, although RAF has been operating UAVs at Creech AFB since 2004 as part of the Joint Predator Task Force.

Air Marshal Iain McNicholl, the RAF Operations Air Command deputy commander in chief, presided over the unveiling ceremony and RAF chaplain Pardre Lee blessed the new squadron.

The 39th Squadron's mission is to provide persistent intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance as well as offensive support to operational theaters, said Squadron Leader Nigel Meadows, the unit commander.

Prior to the squadron's activation, members of the RAF were completely embedded into 432nd Wing operations in all aspects of combat, training, maintenance and mission support activities. They have also assisted in standing up the MQ-9 Reaper training at the 42nd Attack Squadron since early 2007.

"We are very happy about the support we have received from the 432nd Wing at Creech," Squadron Leader Meadows said. "The camaraderie in the squadrons that we operate with and within is immense."

Bob Viking
28th Jan 2008, 08:47
How many do we actually have now?
Hope the guys aren't living at Creech! Tucson would be much nicer (if I'm thinking of the right place!).
BV:ok:

OCCWMF
28th Jan 2008, 09:45
BV

Angling for a new job already?
:}

BluntM8
28th Jan 2008, 10:41
Number 39th Squadron...The 39th Squadron's

Urgh.

It's No 39 Sqn. Not the 39th or anything like that. Stupid americanisation.
In the words of the Daily Mail "Ban This Sick Filth Now!"

Anyway, if we were counting surely they'd be about the 8th Sqn - or do we evn have 8 left?

Blunty

Razor61
28th Jan 2008, 10:57
I'd have thought Creech (formerly Indian Springs AuxAF)was not that bad considering Las Vegas is down the road, literally.

Bob Viking
28th Jan 2008, 12:09
Of course. I knew it was near one of those USAF bases. Nellis, not DM! Must be getting old!
OCCWMF, I was just thinking of you for the UAV job. Thought you could do with a change of scenery. Mind you, all rooms look the same after a while I guess!
God I'm funny!
BV:}:}

edwardspannerhands
28th Jan 2008, 14:27
Would that be 'Tiger' ?

Spotting Bad Guys
28th Jan 2008, 14:53
I wonder what OC 39 Sqn thinks of one of his execs being wrriten up as the "unit commander"....

Biggus
28th Jan 2008, 17:26
There was me thinking the RAF were going to be radical, and have a Sqn Ldr in charge of a Sqn.........!

Guzlin Adnams
28th Jan 2008, 20:57
Another building project at Waddington.........

L J R
29th Jan 2008, 05:08
A quote from our friend WEBF from 2002:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52740&perpage=15&highlight=UCAV&pagenumber=1

"
But I did read a few years ago that a UAV was being consider to replace the AEW Sea King. That idea seems to have been dropped now. UAVs for reece and possibly ESM, but for actual weapon delivery? Nah, it'll never work.
"

....and the wheels turned. Proving that our retired SHAR mate was wrong.

The whole thread makes for an interesting read.

NP20
29th Jan 2008, 06:02
Believe it or not, Vegas isn't just about the Strip See link below:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/relocating/best-places-to-live-2007/las-vegas/las-vegas-nevada.html

And that's in addition to the wildlife, sorry nightlife....

FL575
29th Jan 2008, 10:54
I see that in order to save a few million pounds, rather than buy new UAVs for 39 Sqn, the MOD have decided to modify a couple of airframes that they think would be suitable for the job.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff188/essjaypr9/Modifiedpr9.jpg

LowObservable
29th Jan 2008, 13:45
I know 141 murders, 511 rapes, 3955 robberies, 4511 aggravated assaults, 12782 burglaries, 30052 thefts or larceny, 14718 car thefts and 280 arsons.

Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms - who's bringing the chips?