PDA

View Full Version : Target for tonight?

EnigmAviation
28th Jan 2008, 07:38
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7211979.stm

Troops to be encouraged to wear Uniforms off duty - see link.

Not long ago, I was counselled to ensure that noi items of uniform or flying kit was displayed in my car en route to base, and not to wear any flying kit travelling back and forth. Also my rank/title was deleted from all postal communications as an added security feature.

Looks like women's fashions - hang on long enough and it comes back round again but are you happy with this latest peice of spin ? We will probably have an inquiry if anyone does get stabbed or shot as a result - I have no doubt, then we'll reverse the policy !

breakscrew
28th Jan 2008, 10:43
We have been encouraged to wear uniform outside, but the advice was tempered with the damning codicil that we had to be sensitive about where we wore it, so as not to offend any local sensibilities. (Did they mean religous ones perhaps?) Shades of Selly Oak Hospital.....

tacr2man
28th Jan 2008, 10:55
What does it say about Britain today if its considered too dangerous or insulting for the military of our country to wear their uniforms in a public place :confused:

What a :mad: liberty.............. not

mugwuffin
28th Jan 2008, 11:51
The gouge on the grapevine is that we're not allowed to wear flying kit on travelling even if this "ban" (and I say that because very boss I've ever had has encouraged uniform in public off duty) is being lifted... Had a look at the dress regs on the interweb www.raf.mod.uk/structure/uniforms.cfm (http://www.raf.mod.uk/structure/uniforms.cfm) and it certainly does say blues is the order of the day. The reason I travel in flying kit is because I've just come out of work where I wear it all day. I absolutely agree with the idea behind raising our public image, but is a smart JO/NCA in his jumpsuit going to cause bad publicity when compared to the soldiers around my nearest camp, who are always walking round hands in pocket, headdress off?

Wader2
28th Jan 2008, 12:05
I though this was about a film on the box.

After yesterday's training film "You can't send a signal to the CinC telling him your sqn is non-operational."

"I can and I did."

Always a Sapper
28th Jan 2008, 20:11
but is a smart JO/NCA in his jumpsuit going to cause bad publicity when compared to the soldiers around my nearest camp who are always walking round hands in pocket, headdress off?

mugwuffin, I assume you hold rank? if it's yes .... 'Grip' em then ... :}

Word of advice though.... if they are Ripon Based.... start running first before 'Gripping'...... :E :E :E :ouch:

L J R
29th Jan 2008, 05:23
Yeah, I'm looking forward to a parade after a detachment. I think I will go AWOL that day, and spend some lovin time with my babe.

News: 'RAAF Officer in jail for not attending his homecomming'.

Wader2
29th Jan 2008, 09:17
Yeah, I'm looking forward to a parade after a detachment. I think I will go AWOL that day, and spend some lovin time with my babe.

News: 'RAAF Officer in jail for not attending his homecomming'.

Or 'RAAF Officer too stuck up to attend his homecoming?'

Anyone remember 'Privates on Parade'? :}

MG
29th Jan 2008, 09:35
The dress regs clearly state that the leather flying jacket can't be worn with No 2 or in the air. Has anyone spoken to 32 Sqn about that?!
The rule about not wearing it with No 2 is certainly daft as it does look smart. How do we go about getting the rule changed rather than flounted by all and sundry?

Wader2
29th Jan 2008, 09:39
Rule change?

Write a letter.

As most staff officers are OOA or overstretched a letter to the RAF News might elicit a response from OC Uniforms. You then have a target - his boss :)

sitigeltfel
29th Jan 2008, 10:10
Saw a 43Sqn S/Ldr in his flying suit, with all rank and Squadron badges showing in the queue at the Tesco Metro store in Barnhill, Broughty Ferry a few weeks back. Not the bashfull type I suppose.

Gainesy
29th Jan 2008, 10:17
Four men have this morning pleaded guilty in Leicester Crown Court to a range of terrorist offences including a plot to kidnap and murder in the UK a member of HM Forces. No sentences as yet. (Got a tow rope and tree they can borrow though).

geniculate
29th Jan 2008, 11:49
Yes, we got out of uniform to prevent ourselves being recognised and shot by our brethren accross the Irish Channel, now we are encouraged to wear it and risk being singled out for a random beheading:ouch:

Wader2
29th Jan 2008, 12:30
to wear it and risk being singled out for a random beheading:ouch:

Still you won't need to wear head dress then:}