PDA

View Full Version : confused!!

hughesyd
27th Jan 2008, 12:45
ok , clear this up for me people in the know..........modular student, ATPLs done, next move cpl.
After that im confused........is the ME/IR course a multi engine rating and instrument rating combined or is it a insrument rating specifically for flying multi engine and i have to take a seperate multi engine rating on its own????? ........if that makes any sense:hmm:

maxdrypower
27th Jan 2008, 12:49
You have to do a ME course at some stage anyway, Some places give discounts to combine the course with your cpl . I stand to be corrected by someone more in the know , I think the line goes you can take an IR in a single techinically but the caa wont do the IRT in anything other than atwin catch 22. BUt as your ultimate goal is more than likely bigger fish you will need the twin rating at some stage . Not sure if you can officially have a fATPL without a MECR though ?

dfspilot
27th Jan 2008, 19:02
Most flight schools require you to have a valid multi engine rating before you can enroll on a multi engine instrument rating course if you are going the modular route. if integrated then they allow multi and ir to be done on same flight test and training. but check lasors for full up todate details.

F3
27th Jan 2008, 22:32
The Multi-Engine Class Rating (MEP) is separate from a Multi-Engine Instrument Rating (IR-ME-SPA). On an Integrated course you have the choice of opening your licence with either a Single Engine Class Rating (SEP) (by virtue of passing the CPL Skills Test flown using a s/e a/c) or you could fly a slightly longer 170a which incorporates the test elements necessary to award a MEP Rating if the candidate requires such.

In order to fly a Multi-Engine Instument Rating Skills Test (for intial issue) you have to complete the training required to take a MECR, but you don't need to fly a MECR test. (LASORS Sec E1.1&1.3)
In order to obtain a first Multi-Pilot Type Rating there is no requirement to have a MECR - just IR-ME-SPA in terms of ratings. (LASORS Sec F4.1)

hughesyd
30th Jan 2008, 20:49
thanks for the info guys, appreciate it!. Well i am a modular student so it looks like its CPL/SE then multi engine rating, then me/ir after that, as i understand it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Adios
30th Jan 2008, 22:59
There are FTOs that offer a combined SE/ME CPL course with the skills test flown in a twin leading to a CPL with MECR.

Some would say pick the FTO you want, rather than deciding to do the bits and bobs you need in a certain order and then finding an FTO that offers it that way. Others might think there is an advantage to knocking out the MECR earlier (with the CPL) reasoning that there might then be less pressure and more confidence when they get to their IRT, so they choose from the limited number of FTOs that do a combo ME/CPL. As always, it's horses for courses. I'm not sure if this reply reduced the list of options, but I hope it clarified them a bit.

KandiFloss
31st Jan 2008, 16:35
Hi all!

A slightly different question to the original CPL/MER/IR question, can anyone advise me as to whether the MER and the IR have to be JAA to fly commercially in the UK, or can they be completed in USA under FAA rules or is it not classified like that? I'm confused...I know that the PPL and CPL have to be JAA, but what about the others?

Thanks for your help in advance.

hughesyd
3rd Feb 2008, 20:53
Thanks Adios for your info , greatly appreciated. looks like i will prob be heading out to aerodynamics for the cpl and the me/ir. They offer the course with the ratings rolled i to one.